• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    In general I appreciate the link, but I've long since given up on trying to use "Gun Facts" to debunk anything. Every single person I've talked to in my life who was anti-gun tried to use anecdotes, stupid hypothetical situations, and emotional rhetoric to support their point. They don't care about facts and, contrary to popular belief, never lobbed skewed statistics from the Brady Campaign and it's Ilk at me. The only time I've seen that kind of thing was on televised "news" programs.

Consequently, despite the intentions of the document, it fails in practice. It takes two to debunk: one to give factual information and one to accept it. If the other party refuses to listen, you're just wasting a whole lot of time and effort.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I see where you're coming from. So much of getting around an antis arguments is overcoming the emotional barrier.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I see where you're coming from. So much of getting around an antis arguments is overcoming the emotional barrier.

That is the core difference between conservatives and liberals.

Liberals tend to have a strong emotional response to things, whereas conservatives tend towards rationale. Sometimes both sides exhibit either one, but I've found that liberals try to stick to an emotional appeal. That's why they feel compelled to try and help everyone, and try to get euphoric visions of grandeur in a Utopian society. Problem is... reality and life get in the way. Conservatives understand this problem.

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    In fairness, Conservatism isn't necessarily the ultimate manifestation of all things good and true either. Modern conservatives, in particular, seem to have a nasty habit of being unable to develop new and creative solutions to current problems, instead plugging away with the same tired and poor or non-effective solutions. I'd cite specific examples but it'd throw this thread way off topic, which isn't my goal.

Suffice it to say we'd all do well to apply the hopes and ambitions of liberalism to the logical methodology of conservatism. Unfortunately, in our seemingly ever more polarized society, that seems to be the stuff of pipe dreams.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    In fairness, Conservatism isn't necessarily the ultimate manifestation of all things good and true either. Modern conservatives, in particular, seem to have a nasty habit of being unable to develop new and creative solutions to current problems, instead plugging away with the same tired and poor or non-effective solutions. I'd cite specific examples but it'd throw this thread way off topic, which isn't my goal.

Suffice it to say we'd all do well to apply the hopes and ambitions of liberalism to the logical methodology of conservatism. Unfortunately, in our seemingly ever more polarized society, that seems to be the stuff of pipe dreams.

I'd argue that modern "conservatives" are a detachment from the actual conservative ideology, and thus, are the root of the detriment to the same degree as liberals. Even the term liberal has come to mean something completely different.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gunfacts is a great thing. However, I agree with what others have said. You really have to break through the emotional barrier before anything like the facts will have any meaning. It has been my experience that many anti-gun people and many liberals in general (not all of course) are incredibly emotional in nature and really don't put forth any effort to learn hardly anything about any subjects they may take a position on. I mean that really is the problem, a lack of education on the subject. Someone comes along and says something that appeals to their emotion, along the way they hear a handful of lies about said subject, and suddenly they have all the proof they need to support the cause. Gunfacts is nice for when you've broken through this barrier and helped someone to become receptive to actual facts. I think it says a lot about the average anti/liberal that ALL the facts are on our side and they still take the positions they do. Quite literally, that means that they've done absolutely no research whatsoever.

Top Bottom