Hurley's Gold

Gun-ignorant writer with research question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    If he is a veteran cop he may be a revolver hold out. Because of the cylinder gap (between the cylinder and barrel) the water would run out readily if pointed muzzle down. The ammo would be compromised if submerged for a SUBSTANTIAL length of time (weeks) decent ammo will be absolutely fine if submerged for a few seconds to a few minutes. Ankle carry would be acceptable for "deep cover" concealment. If the heroine got "chummy" she would be unlikely to grope his ankles. Smith and Wesson Model 60 (.38 stainless 2" barrel, 5 shot revolver) would be good for ankle carry. If he was a bit more savy, a model 640 or 642.
    Lynx Defense

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If he had a closed bottom holster, he could take the gun out and pour the water out of it like a pitcher.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I have a friend who is a writer who also consults for writers who want to incorporate realistic gun handling into their story. She and her husband are very knowledgeable about firearms, he has a lot of military experience and they have worked with some top name writers. If you're interested, I can give you their contact information.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Just a note. It is true that 80% of LEO fired rounds miss in real shooting situations.
    The other 20% get them sued.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Sharon Waite said:
    I totally get what you're saying about the waistband carry, but can't do it because of my STUPID PLOT!!! Our heroine really isn't in any danger and he knows it. Nobody's after her. They're in a fairly isolated place. He's running around in T-shirt and jeans. The guy isn't stupid. If he really thought she was in danger, he'd be armed to the teeth.

...then....

NO bodyguard worth his salt is gonna be minimally armed at any time he has someone to protect, whether they feel there's a serious threat or not. Period.

I have to agree. Even the best of us who are not body guards, that have taken personal responsibility for our own safety, know there is not a set time or place for there to be a threat against us. The nicest neighborhoods, the ugliest part of town, our own home, the bank parking lot, the traffic light at the corner, the mall, college campus, on the bus/subway, a local restaurant...the list goes on an on and basically can be summed up in one word: everywhere. Heinous crimes have been committed at those locations, some very high profile.

The potential for danger/threats are everywhere and not acknowleding this will make for a rough 'in hindsight' conversation with ourselves.

Anyhow, If you want the story to be realistic, a former big city cop running his own security business would be in the mindset that there is no safe place, that danger can and will come from any direction at the blink of an eye. I don't want to step on your toes but since you came to the forum seeking some real advice, it would be prudent to consider both the practicalities and the motivations associated with specific actions

Offhand, an example of a comparison that comes to mind is the movie 'Man of the House' with Tommy Lee Jones as the undercover agent at the UT cheerleaders sorority. They are completely oblivious; he is watching over like a hawk.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    NO bodyguard worth his salt is gonna be minimally armed at any time he has someone to protect, whether they feel there's a serious threat or not. Period.

You know, I wanted to post basically this same info yesterday, but bit my "tongue", so to speak....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, the key here (to me) is that she asked for honest feedback. And the first time I see some yahoo yank a duty piece from an ankle - or turn the gun sideways to fire it - I'm gonna SERIOUSLY question the competency of the consultant!

7+1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    shake it out and shoot it, is about right.on water and primers.factory ammo is getting pretty good.my wife washed a pair of jeans with 6 rds of magtech 357,full cycle.i did stop her before the dryer,thank god.i fig they were dead.thought hell i'll try em . latter that day all 6 went bang.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If he is going to shoot it right away, I say flip the cylinder and blow down the front of the barrel and maybe through the cylinder area as well.
    flip the cylinder back and bang.

Say what? Just point the barrel down and the water will roll right out, especially in a revolver.

With no danger, he'd just ignore it for the moment, IMO. He could keep the secret gun a secret as long as clinging clothes didn't give him away. But as soon as possible, you'd want to dry it out and oil it. Any gun cleaning kit would have what you'd need for that. I'd probably replace the ammo that got wet. Not a real good chance that quality ammo would fail from a somewhat quick dunk, but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

YouTube - Gunsmith - Clean and lubricate a Smith & Wesson revolver

Boring, but right.

But I agree on the ankle holster being wrong. Very slow to bring a gun into action. For what it's worth, when you're in a secluded place, hanging a holster on a belt in plain view is much more comfortable, and easier. No reason to keep it concealed with nobody around.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    /\/\

This leads me to ask how the OP is explaining to the readers (or to the girl) why this "guy" is always with her???

Top Bottom