• Status
    Not open for further replies.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Probably not correct forum but couldn't find one that fits question. Going to high school football game Friday night and leaving on trip immediately following game. Can I legally have hand gun locked in car on high school parking lot?
    Lynx Defense

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I wouldn't think so because a person without a CHL can have a gun in their car as long as the can legally own one and aren't breaking any laws

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't think so because a person without a CHL can have a gun in their car as long as the can legally own one and aren't breaking any laws

The condition of the gun will dictate that. If he has a CHL from the state he is currently in, he's ok. Otherwise he must have it unloaded and locked up in a container or on a lockable rack since he will be within 1000 feet of a school.

According to the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Gun Free School Zones is a federal law and not enforced by local or state municipalities. I live within 1000ft of a school. It's an absurd law. Even if I didn't have my CHL, I would not pull over when I got to 1001ft from the school, to unload and lock up my gun(s).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Gun Free School Zones is a federal law and not enforced by local or state municipalities. I live within 1000ft of a school. It's an absurd law. Even if I didn't have my CHL, I would not pull over when I got to 1001ft from the school, to unload and lock up my gun(s).

Just because you disagree with a law does not make violating it right. You can still be prosecuted, and lose you right to own firearms for life if caught. I don't like it either, but to answer the OP's question honestly and fully you must include it as it applies to the situation. Since he now states he has a CHL he is good.

Advocating the breaking of federal law because you don't agree with it is usually not considered a good idea.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    And though this may not apply to the OP's specific question, carrying a CHL and firearm would be useless anyhow as you are prohibited from using it in any scenario w/i the school zone according to the link.

Self-defense

Although the GFSZA allows a citizen to discharge a firearm on private property,[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP] it prohibits discharge on public property in the Gun Free Zones by anyone except on-duty law enforcement and school security.[SUP][16][/SUP] A carry permit never exempts an individual from the GFSZA discharge restrictions, even in the State that physically issued it.[SUP][16][/SUP]

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Have you driven 70mph on a highway posted 65mph?

Yes, but there is a vast difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. Plus I would not advocate breaking any law on here, much less a federal firearms law. Neither would I admit that I had done so in the past or would do so in the future because of my disdain for such law.

But you miss the point, it was about giving the original poster a fuller and more complete understanding of what his question entailed. There were some posts that were incorrect, especially yours since you did not know at the time that the man had a CHL issued in this state.

Posture all you want to from here, but you post did little to help the subject, and now you admit you would commit a felony.

Good Luck to you, hope you avoid trouble with that attitude.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Yes, but there is a vast difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. Plus I would not advocate breaking any law on here, much less a federal firearms law. Neither would I admit that I had done so in the past or would do so in the future because of my disdain for such law.
    So you condone breaking the law only if it's a misdemeanor, but not a felony. Got it.

But you miss the point, it was about giving the original poster a fuller and more complete understanding of what his question entailed. There were some posts that were incorrect, especially yours since you did not know at the time that the man had a CHL issued in this state.
    My post is and was 100% correct. He asked if he can have a handgun locked in his car in a school parking lot. Whether or not he has a CHL, he can indeed have an [unloaded] gun locked in his car. Are you going to dispute that?

It is not my fault that you assumed he asked about a loaded handgun.

Good Luck to you, hope you avoid trouble with that attitude.
    I wish the same good luck to you, as you admittedly take it upon yourself to pick and choose which laws you will follow and which you will not.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Did they not teach reading comprehension at your school, or were you absent those years??? You seem to be more interested in trying to "win" than being right and understanding what I have posted.

Never said I condone breaking the law. I pity you for not having the ability to understand what I posted.

My post is and was 100% correct. He asked if he can have a handgun locked in his car in a school parking lot. Whether or not he has a CHL, he can indeed have an [unloaded] gun locked in his car. Are you going to dispute that?

Now I see you qualified your statement to make it more correct. Nice trick too bad it does not work with me, I understand the type of person that uses that tactic. What you said, and what you seem to want me to think you meant to say are different things. Do you back-peddle like this much? Oh, that was a rhetorical question, I have read your posts in the past.

I wish the same good luck to you, as you admittedly take it upon yourself to pick and choose which laws you will follow and which you will not.

Thank you for the good wishes. However I do not now, nor will I condone committing a felony or any crime, like you seem to do. But you don't address that point (hopefully realizing that it is indefensible). You instead want to shift the discussion to put me on the defensive, when I have not advocated anything criminal, or incorrect in regards to the law. IMHO those tactics easily identifiable and come from a weak personality, someone who can't admit they are wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom