• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GCD3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    Richmond, TX
    I’m a contractor working on a drilling rig in W. Texas. I drive 500 miles to the rig, live in a provided trailer on site while working for 2 weeks before returning home for days off. Most oil companies & the company I consult for have no firearms rules. It’s my understanding that Texas law allows you to keep a firearm locked in your car at work. Some of the oil companies conduct random vehicle searches for drugs & firearms. Am I within my legal rights to keep my firearm locked out of sight in my car on location & what recourse do I have if I lose my contract if the firearm is discovered. I am a LTC holder. I don’t intend to drive that far, often at night, especially with what is going on at the border.
    Target Sports

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I’m a contractor working on a drilling rig in W. Texas. I drive 500 miles to the rig, live in a provided trailer on site while working for 2 weeks before returning home for days off. Most oil companies & the company I consult for have no firearms rules. It’s my understanding that Texas law allows you to keep a firearm locked in your car at work. Some of the oil companies conduct random vehicle searches for drugs & firearms. Am I within my legal rights to keep my firearm locked out of sight in my car on location & what recourse do I have if I lose my contract if the firearm is discovered. I am a LTC holder. I don’t intend to drive that far, often at night, especially with what is going on at the border.
    They do not have the right to search your vehicle or tell you what you can have in it! That said, if you signed something that indicated you would lose your contract if you didn't let them search, you'd probably be out of luck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

There are several laws that enforce your right to keep a firearm locked in your vehicle, one of which being the "Castle Doctrine Law" as your vehicle is, by law considered an extension of your home. But, there are laws that enforce the rights of company to prohibit the possession of firearms on company property. Every situation is unique. I an not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. My suggestion is to consult with an attorney to find out exactly what your rights are regarding your specific conditions.

GCD3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    Richmond, TX
    Welcome to TGT.

There are several laws that enforce your right to keep a firearm locked in your vehicle, one of which being the "Castle Doctrine Law" as your vehicle is, by law considered an extension of your home. But, there are laws that enforce the rights of company to prohibit the possession of firearms on company property. Every situation is unique. I an not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. My suggestion is to consult with an attorney to find out exactly what your rights are regarding your specific conditions.
    Many thanks.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In the long run you will lose. The company has the money to wear you out.

I.d have a locked container attached to the trunk or something that can secure all of the guns and ammo. Abd I tell them to get a warrant if they want it opened. And be looking for another job

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If the vehicle is within a secure area - like you have to go through a security gate to park - firearms can be forbidden by the company. Otherwise, Texas law allows you to keep a firearm in your vehicle as long as it is out of sight. Before I finish typing, I can assure you that some people will claim that's not true, but the law was changed a few years ago to specifically address complaints against certain companies (e.g., Chevron-Phillips) that would "randomly" inspect union member's vehicles around opening day of deer season. Also, there were many complaints from women who carried for protection for getting home from night shift.

GCD3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    Richmond, TX
    You don't legally have to let them search you're car, but ......................... it could be the end of a job/contract!
    That’s the dilemma. Generally, on sites with lots of searches, drug dogs & such it becomes a game of hide & seek. I’m good with the drug dogs as this is not an environment where you want to be around people not functioning to there best. My gun is kept locked in a safe in my truck but search see that as an obvious place to look. Seems rather stupid to find a hiding place instead of a safe.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would you be willing to lose your job over it?
    I know what your saying, Cam. I understand the OP worry.

It's a personal decision that only he can make.

There are places in my truck that you wouldn't find something unless you tore a vehicle apart. A company isn't going to dismantle your vehicle... they will check hot spots and move on.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don't think they can secure a warrant unless they are law enforcement.

They can't. No LE officer would even try, and no judge would ever sigh the warrant. Having a firearm in your locked vehicle isn't against state laws, so LE and a judge don't care what company policy is regarding guns. And breaking into a person's private property, even when that vehicle is on company property is breaking and entering, which is criminal act.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom