Gun in my truck

lbktx

Dec 14, 2013
At 61 I'm too old to fight, not going to run, so (sadly) I now carry a gun. I do not have a CHL but I travel a lot and conceal carry a 9 or 45 in my console. If I am stopped by DPS/trooper should I tell him I have a weapon or just be quiet. The reason I ask is on I20 they often have DEA checks with a trooper and randomly stop cars and search them. Once I was stopped and allowed a search twice in one day between Dallas and Lubbock. I am afraid of them pulling out my gun and being PO'ed if not informed.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
If you consent to a search, it might not be a bad idea to just mention that "there is a pistol in the console". There is nothing illegal about it, unless you are otherwise disqualified from owning a weapon. Just keep it out of view while driving. You can't have it on the front seat next to you, but console or glove box is fine.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I don't mention unless asked. I probably would not consent to a search either though.

If they ask, tell them, or don't if you don't want to, but I don't mind telling them.

If they don't ask, don't bring it up.

If for some reason you are happy to let them rummage through your car for no reason then let them know it's there, they will find it anyways.

As others said, if you meet the pretty basic criteria it is perfectly legal, although I've heard of a couple folks being hassled a little but nothing came if it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
If you consent to a search, it might not be a bad idea to just mention that "there is a pistol in the console". There is nothing illegal about it, unless you are otherwise disqualified from owning a weapon. Just keep it out of view while driving. You can't have it on the front seat next to you, but console or glove box is fine.
Not exactly accurate. You can have it on the front seat (or anywhere else in the vehicle) as long as it's not visible (exposed) to view. I have carried a pistol on the front seat many times that was covered by a coat or was in a paper sack.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
If the gun (kept by a non CHL person) is found by troopers without them being told, won't the person get in trouble, or is that old law?

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I just always heard that if you had a gun in your vehicle you had better tell them before they find it, otherwise it is considered "concealed", lol.

For non CHL holders.....
CHL holders are required to disclose, the penalty for not doing so has been removed but the requirement is still there.

MPA never required disclosure.

Top Bottom