• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrenGunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Kyle
    Whatever dude, they both said that when they run the plates it tells them if the owner has a CHL. It may not do so in your county/city where you used to work, etc. but it does here. I don't know if other places have this ability, just assumed they did.

I would also think that the check has the ability to check out that individual that regirstered the car, and not just a name as you claim. Otherwise how would they be alerted to outstanding warrants. Pretty sure the state has the ability at some level to differentiate between folks with the same name. Somehow the CHL is attached or gets attached through some computer process and it shows up inside their car.

Kinda waiting for an active duty member to chime in if they have that high speed stuff where they work.

When a stop is initiated the "28" (License Plate) is run. This returns the vehicle info and registered owner.
    After making contact with the individual and obtaining their Drivers License, Their "27" "29" is run. Drivers license number and warrant check respectively. The "27" or drivers license return will then show CHL status if their is one.

This is where the stories of officers coming back to the car a second time upset that the CHL was not produced.
    They go back to run the DL and warrant check then return to vehicle.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The warrants shows a couple of things, depending on how it is set up. It can check the registered owner's name against all people with that name, and csn either alert the officer to a POSSIBLE warrant with that name, or show warrants to anyone that has that tag listed on the warrant, or just provide a list of possibles.

You do not understand how the systems are set up. The DL system is separate from car registrations. Both are run by the state, TLETS/TCIC. The state does NOT cross reference them. An agency can, but the information is limited. If the LEO runs a tag and the car is registered to Joe Smith, no DOB or other such info is listed by that system. Addresses, yes. If an astute dispatcher decides to go ahead and conduct a DL search for John Smith, he will have quite a laundry list of names. He can search through those records for a John Smith DL at the same address as the John Smith who is the registered owner. If that John Smith has a CHL then the dispatcher can pretty much be sure the two are the same.

An agency's computer system can be set up to do the same thing. However, car registrations are not tied to CHLs. Only if the car registration search queries and gets a hit on a DL will a CHL show up. CHLs are tied to DLs, not registrations.

What your buddies are telling you is the net effect they experience, not the details of the system.

You are talking in circles. First you tell me it not tied together, then you tell me it can be done if they do this and that. Well, I don't care about the small internal computer details of how the system works, all that matters is it happens. They say it is run on the in car computer. I believe them when they tell me that they know if the the registered owner of that car has a CHL before they initially approach. Some places might not do that, others do. So it has happened and does happen here.

You can say they can't but can under these special circumstances of the systmes which are not tied together unless they are all you want................................I trust my friends not to lie to me about something as insignificant and common as this is.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And very often, the driver of the vehicle isn't even the owner. If you notice, when you register your vehicle at the county tax office, they only ask if your address is current and the color of the vehicle. They don't have your DL number, or your CHL number, and don't ask for it. Your CHL does have your DL number on it for cross referencing.

Every time my GF has gone to register my vehicles, she has been required to get a "permission slip" from me because she is not the owner (can't remember what the paper I have to fill out is called).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You are talking in circles. First you tell me it not tied together, then you tell me it can be done if they do this and that. Well, I don't care about the small internal computer details of how the system works, all that matters is it happens. They say it is run on the in car computer. I believe them when they tell me that they know if the the registered owner of that car has a CHL before they initially approach. Some places might not do that, others do. So it has happened and does happen here.

You can say they can't but can under these special circumstances of the systmes which are not tied together unless they are all you want................................I trust my friends not to lie to me about something as insignificant and common as this is.

No, I am not talking in circles. I am sorry you don't understand this.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    No, I am not talking in circles. I am sorry you don't understand this.

How else would you explain what you are doing? You say it's not connected, then you say they can connect it and get it done. What gives?

Are you saying no way, no how that what I said could happen under any and all circumstances?????

Are you saying that yes it can happen if they do this and that??

Either way, it happens whether or not you think (or like the fact) it does or not.

"net effect' seems to me to be 'end result' of it happening.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Makes sense to me.......I think you should step back and look at things again. He is being pretty reasonable and it is pretty obvious what he is saying.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Acera, I think he is trying to say they have the ability to check MULTIPLE databases, but each database is separate.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Acera, I think he is trying to say they have the ability to check MULTIPLE databases, but each database is separate.

Yeah, I have figured out some of his stuff. It's just hard for him to admit that they can do something he says they can't, so he uses convoluted logic in a manner to say they can if all these other things happen. It doesn't matter as much how it works, just that it does.

However I stand by my initial postings. It happens. I trust the two folks that are friends and actually currently employed and on duty today in Harris County, both with many years more active duty experience over someone who used to be an officer and left that service years ago.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    I was trying to avoid this fray but finally couldn't help myself. txinvestigator and SWAT1911 are correct in their descriptions of the data bases and what information is and is not linked.

hardcase60

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's not much of a distinction. If the data is available then it's available.

Of course the driver may not be the owner.

It is available, but only by accessing the drivers license, that is the distinction. Now if the DL data is accessed by gleaning info from the registration, either by hand or automatically through the computer the officer would know if the owner had a CHL, but that doesn't mean the CHL is in anyway connected to vehicle registration. Just that some areas are linking the two databases.

Top Bottom