• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Traveler was defined as a person traveling more than 3 counties from their place of residence. If I remember right, had to be in plain sight or was a concealed weapon. Could be wrong though.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

TI is correct, it's a myth. There was no "three county law", "overnight travel law", etc. Each jurisdiction handled it according to their policies. It was, as TI indicated, a defense to prosecution.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Then I stand corrected. Getting the correct answer back in the stone age was not as easy as today.
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic
    One of the issues "way back" was that you might drive through several counties going to work, shop, etc. almost on a daily basis. If you asked the police in all of the jurisdictions you went through, you'd probably get that many different answers (to the question of what constitutes "traveling"). I'm referring to the 60's through the 90's. That's why there are so many different answers about how it used to be handled.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    At 61 I'm too old to fight, not going to run, so (sadly) I now carry a gun. I do not have a CHL but I travel a lot and conceal carry a 9 or 45 in my console. If I am stopped by DPS/trooper should I tell him I have a weapon or just be quiet. The reason I ask is on I20 they often have DEA checks with a trooper and randomly stop cars and search them. Once I was stopped and allowed a search twice in one day between Dallas and Lubbock. I am afraid of them pulling out my gun and being PO'ed if not informed.

If asked I would tell them and if not then there's really no necessary reason to volunteer that information. You're legally allowed to carry a handgun in your vehicle as long as its not out in plain sight (given you're are legally allowed to own a firearm), so it's not like you'd be breaking the law with it in your console. As far as the trooper being pissed off business, IF I was consenting to a search I personally would inform them just out of courtesy and to avoid any futher unwarranted hassle, but that's just me....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Also remember that little bit of crap legislation, Gun-Free School Zones Act, as if the officer finds a gun, and you are within 1K feet of a school (pretty easy on Texas roads)you could be slam dunked.

Not that the law is enforced, as it's a felony that is committed tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of times a day by LE officers themselves, but it's possible.

One phrase I keep hearing on this board that carries a whole lot wisdom. "Never invite the man into your life."

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm sure the DEA can arrest you for it but, but ........................ aren't those initials for DRUG Enforcement Admin?? :rolleyes:

If you trust them to not make a call to the local FBI office then that's on you. I wouldn't. I was just stating that federal agents were involved, who's to say the FBI weren't represented in some capacity at the stop either?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    So you guys saying that you trust that any local/state officer will automatically let you go and carry on with your business when they have caught you red handed committing a federal firearms felony involving a school????? Good luck with that, not worth the risk.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So you guys saying that you trust that any local/state officer will automatically let you go and carry on with your business when they have caught you red handed committing a federal firearms felony involving a school????? Good luck with that, not worth the risk.

A local LEO has no choice, unless he has something else to arrest you for. If by chance a federal officer happened to be with him when he stopped you, searched your vehicle and found your gun, the fed could arrest you.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008

Yes. There were (are) several people that worked at the schools that have a Texas CHL and secure their weapon in their car during the day. Most of the LEO around here know who carries legally especially when it comes to school personnel/administration. There are several small out-lying small districts in and around Kerr County. Not all of them can expect quick (enough) response on a regular basis in case of emergency.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom