• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lbktx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    At 61 I'm too old to fight, not going to run, so (sadly) I now carry a gun. I do not have a CHL but I travel a lot and conceal carry a 9 or 45 in my console. If I am stopped by DPS/trooper should I tell him I have a weapon or just be quiet. The reason I ask is on I20 they often have DEA checks with a trooper and randomly stop cars and search them. Once I was stopped and allowed a search twice in one day between Dallas and Lubbock. I am afraid of them pulling out my gun and being PO'ed if not informed.
    Hurley's Gold

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you consent to a search, it might not be a bad idea to just mention that "there is a pistol in the console". There is nothing illegal about it, unless you are otherwise disqualified from owning a weapon. Just keep it out of view while driving. You can't have it on the front seat next to you, but console or glove box is fine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't mention unless asked. I probably would not consent to a search either though.

If they ask, tell them, or don't if you don't want to, but I don't mind telling them.

If they don't ask, don't bring it up.

If for some reason you are happy to let them rummage through your car for no reason then let them know it's there, they will find it anyways.

As others said, if you meet the pretty basic criteria it is perfectly legal, although I've heard of a couple folks being hassled a little but nothing came if it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you consent to a search, it might not be a bad idea to just mention that "there is a pistol in the console". There is nothing illegal about it, unless you are otherwise disqualified from owning a weapon. Just keep it out of view while driving. You can't have it on the front seat next to you, but console or glove box is fine.
    Not exactly accurate. You can have it on the front seat (or anywhere else in the vehicle) as long as it's not visible (exposed) to view. I have carried a pistol on the front seat many times that was covered by a coat or was in a paper sack.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If the gun (kept by a non CHL person) is found by troopers without them being told, won't the person get in trouble, or is that old law?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just always heard that if you had a gun in your vehicle you had better tell them before they find it, otherwise it is considered "concealed", lol.

For non CHL holders.....

CHL holders are required to disclose, the penalty for not doing so has been removed but the requirement is still there.

MPA never required disclosure.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    If I'm not mistaken, when carrying inside your vehicle, you are not carrying related to your CHL, but to the statute that allows you to carry while traveling, etc. in your vehicle. Once you step out (if you have it on your person) you would then be carrying under CHL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and restate that with the correct information.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No problem? What exactly does that mean? Under what circumstances, etc.? Kinda' a wide open question.

Under normal traffic stop conditions, & legal to own, nothing questionable.

Police find an undisclosed weapon in a car 20-30 yrs. ago would not create a problem?

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Years ago (more than 20) there were laws that allowed one to carry in a car while "traveling". It was vague because there was no common definition of "carrying". Twenty years ago there was no CHL in Texas.

Correct.
    This is the time period I was talking about, I always heard that if you had a gun which was found & not announced, that it would have been considered "concealed", & one would get in a lot of trouble for it.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't "think" there is any law requiring one to notify of the presence of a gun in the vehicle, other than the law that says a CHL holder must inform a LEO when asked for identification.

Sorry to take us off track, I was aware of CHL holders requirements (or lack of) but was curious about non-chl holders, which group the OP fits in.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Of course it depends on the officer but are you talking about "what you heard" or a statute? I know of no statute to inform (but that doesn't necessarily keep one "out of trouble") other than the CHL law we currently have. We (Texans) had the "traveling" law before CHL I don't think there was any requirement to inform the officers. That, of course, does not mean you shouldn't. Twenty-five years ago if I had been stopped, I would have informed the LEO. (It's be over 30 yrs. since I've been stopped by an LEO)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom