• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootWare

Jun 24, 2015
    Reno, NV
    Gun maker seeks ways to build a safer weapon

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Jonathan Mossberg is among a small number of pioneers looking to build a safer gun. But unlike many others, he was in the gun business when he started down that path.

His family is renowned for its premier line of shotguns treasured by law enforcement, hunters and the military...Read

new-logo.jpg
    www.ShootersWarehouse.com
    Military Camp

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    No thanks......even if someone named Mossberg thinks it's a great idea.....I don't...

jmho....

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    This is a neat idea and if they can make it work, that'd be cool too.

But I certainly wouldn't ever own any firearm with this technology.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is a neat idea and if they can make it work, that'd be cool too.

But I certainly wouldn't ever own any firearm with this technology.
    Yeah, see, that's the problem. When that guy in California started to sell those .22 pistols that could only be fired by someone wearing a special watch, people realized it would trigger a New Jersey statute. There's a law on the books in New Jersey mandating that as soon as a real "smart gun" is marketed anywhere in the U.S., New Jersey outlaws all regular handguns and requires that only smart guns may be sold. The old guns are allowed to stick around and the gun shops would have 30 months to get rid of their inventory but the intended result is that the sales of new handguns in NJ would essentially cease ~3 years after someone, anyone, anywhere in the U.S. starts selling "smart guns."

So, if somebody can make this work, it would NOT be cool.

While I have no love for New Jersey, no gun shop owner wants to be the guy who totally screwed over all the pistol shooters in that state.

The anti-gun legislator that came up with that New Jersey law back in 2002 has since realized that "smart gun" development and eventual sales have been essentially killed because of the law. Once it dawned on her that her initial dream of creating a world where only smart guns existed, she wrote a new bill that was passed by the NJ legislature. The new bill got rid of the ban on traditional firearms in exchange for mandating that all FFLs stock and sell smart guns, too. Governor Christie vetoed it.

AFAIK, the "sell smart guns, screw over your brothers in NJ" law is still on the books.

If somebody has more up-to-date info, please share. I haven't researched this topic in quite a while.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah, see, that's the problem. When that guy in California started to sell those .22 pistols that could only be fired by someone wearing a special watch, people realized it would trigger a New Jersey statute. There's a law on the books in New Jersey mandating that as soon as a real "smart gun" is marketed anywhere in the U.S., New Jersey outlaws all regular handguns and requires that only smart guns may be sold. The old guns are allowed to stick around and the gun shops would have 30 months to get rid of their inventory but the intended result is that the sales of new handguns in NJ would essentially cease ~3 years after someone, anyone, anywhere in the U.S. starts selling "smart guns."

So, if somebody can make this work, it would NOT be cool.

While I have no love for New Jersey, no gun shop owner wants to be the guy who totally screwed over all the pistol shooters in that state.

The anti-gun legislator that came up with that New Jersey law back in 2002 has since realized that "smart gun" development and eventual sales have been essentially killed because of the law. Once it dawned on her that her initial dream of creating a world where only smart guns existed, she wrote a new bill that was passed by the NJ legislature. The new bill got rid of the ban on traditional firearms in exchange for mandating that all FFLs stock and sell smart guns, too. Governor Christie vetoed it.

AFAIK, the "sell smart guns, screw over your brothers in NJ" law is still on the books.

If somebody has more up-to-date info, please share. I haven't researched this topic in quite a while.

Then the issue should be addressed politically. I can absolutely guarantee you that no one will stop pursuing this technology just because of laws like that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Then the issue should be addressed politically. I can absolutely guarantee you that no one will stop pursuing this technology just because of laws like that.
    Oh, certainly, there are folks who will continue to research the technology. The political realities, though, mean that the technology will not come to market until the first person decides they don't care about how much damage they do to the shooting community. That FFL-holder will have to be a real idiot to both screw over NJ shooters and put himself out of business because of the backlash he'll get.

You're absolutely right that a political solution is needed.

Frankly, I'm surprised that some anti-gun group hasn't already gotten an FFL, opened a shop, put a couple of Armatix iP1 pistols in their display case, had some other anti-gun activist buy one, and, thus, deliberately triggered the NJ law.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wouldn't like the idea of having to sleep with the bracelet on my arm in case something goes bump in the night or I wake up to the sound of breaking glass.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A "safe" gun is a Liberal wet dream. If they can't ban the gun or restrict the ammunition, let's make the gun where it won't fire!

The Liberal Dimwits are grabbing at anything they can to curtail Constitutionally guaranteed RIGHTS. I'll never own a "safe" gun!

Flash

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    OH! I know! We can all have chips implanted, I'm sure the government wouldn't use that against us.

The whole idea of freedom being measured by how high you can stack your greenbacks is always a bad idea.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Keep the government out of it. Let the market decide. Supply vs demand thing. If the people want it, let it be. I am not interested in the technology anytime soon. Anything that could potentially prevent my self defense firearm (which any of them is as far as I'm concerned) from going bang when I need it to is a no no. Why I don't have a manual safety on my EDC pistol.

Sent from some where out there.

Tcruse

Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    There is no case I would want the government, criminal or any other third party to be able to "turn off" a self defense weapon. That is exactly the intent of people that think "smart guns" are something good. Only if they control the "keys" to the guns.

Top Bottom