• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Near Rio Vista, Texas
    I've used Hoppes #9 Nitro Solvent ever since my teenage years, which has been quite awhile ago.:)
    For lubrication, I'm pretty sold on GunButter.
    As far as protecting oils are concerned, I use either Break-Free CLP, Hoppes Gun Oil, or whatever is on the stores' shelf when I'm buying.
    DK Firearms

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Preferred lube?

On rails and such, simple lithium grease.

On other parts, Rem lube.

I especially like the grease in my carry gun because it never dries out in the summer time and never drains out of the muzzle end during carry.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Mobil 1 15w50 currently, but next bottle I will buy will be ATF in maybe another 10 years. They stuff last so well and goes so long why worry about it.

For cleaning it is Mpro7 and Shooter's choice as needed.
    For grease it is white lithium grease or TW25.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    SweetShooter

I've been experimenting with a product called SweetShooter. It is a dip and dunk cleaner and lube that seems to work well.

The cleaning part I am convinced of as a test I cleaned a bore my using my usual cleaner but with the SweetShooter recommended method.
    I dried the bore with patches until clean and dry. Then I recleaned the bore with sweetshooter over a pan. All I can say is a lot of stuff came out that I thought wasn't there.

A friend did the same test with same results. Amazing.

This stuff is expensive but is not one time use. So in the long run it might be cheaper.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    On lube...

Another vote for FP-10. I just got rid of a Kimber Tac Pro II that wouldn't run without practically being dipped in a vat of FP-10. Kimber must have thought this was pretty good stuff too because they included a free sample when I bought this gun.

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $2.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've used FP10 for a long time with great results I now added "Gun Butter" to my cleaning kit sort of expensive but great on the slides of auto's makes them run, well, like butter. Certain points get FP10 including barrel and butter in points of more stress.

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    The thing you must remember about CLP is that it's designed to do a lot of things at once, hence the name, "Cleans-Lubricates-Protects". Anytime a product does all of those things, it doesn't do any of them very well. The Army uses it because a soldier in the field is limited as to what he can carry. By carrying a small amount of one gun care product, it allows him to carry more of the important things he'll need, like ammunition and water. You or I don't have to worry about that. It doesn't effect us if we own 1 product or 10. Therefore having specific products to do specific things is always better. The Army carries MRE's for much the same reason. You wouldn't order one if it was on the menu at Denny's. Bill T.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    The thing you must remember about CLP is that it's designed to do a lot of things at once, hence the name, "Cleans-Lubricates-Protects". Anytime a product does all of those things, it doesn't do any of them very well. The Army uses it because a soldier in the field is limited as to what he can carry. By carrying a small amount of one gun care product, it allows him to carry more of the important things he'll need, like ammunition and water. You or I don't have to worry about that. It doesn't effect us if we own 1 product or 10. Therefore having specific products to do specific things is always better. The Army carries MRE's for much the same reason. You wouldn't order one if it was on the menu at Denny's. Bill T.

I believe the military does a lot of testing

https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2006/648/648-IFC.pdf

maybe I am foolish, but after serving in the army, I tend to believe that they actually do test and compare and would switch if they found a better product.

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    Sure, they test. And I'm sure they use the best product that meets their demands. In this case a "do all" type of gun cleaning liquid. But as I said, there are gun oils, gun greases, copper removers, carbon removing solvents, and rust preventatives that all work better than any CLP on the market. So why not use them? Bill T.

Top Bottom