• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AzProtector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Midland, TX
    All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $2.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

A-yup... My AK's and SKS' like non-detergent 20 weight...ATF for cleaning the cosmo out of them.
    ARJ Defense ad

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    A-yup... My AK's and SKS' like non-detergent 20 weight...ATF for cleaning the cosmo out of them.

Another thing that works very well for removing old grease and Cosmoline is WD-40. Don't waste your money buying it in those aerosol cans and pump bottles. I purchase it in one gallon cans at Home Depot and Lowe's. It runs around $12.00 a gallon. It really cuts through grease, gunk, and dirt. It won't harm the finish of any gun, and it smells a lot better than Kerosene. Afterward I blow everything dry with compressed air, then lubricate. Bill T.

Top Bottom