• ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So what is everyone's preferred lube?

I'm using Hoppe's at the moment, but I have used Gun Butter before as well. With the Hoppe's it's a bit easy to go overboard with their bottle.
    Gun Zone Deals

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I started using Hoppes because that's what my grandfather used and seemed to like. I have used a slew of others, including different CLP products. What I use now is Pro-Tech or FP-10 oil for the actions of all firearms except my Swiss rifle. It hates oil and feels less awesome when I use it. For that rifle I use grease and it is smooth as silk. I have Rem-oil for all bores, mostly because it is easy to apply to a patch.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I've tried a number of different oils/lubes over the last 50 years or so and have settled on what works for me:
    Solvent: Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner
    Lube: Weapon Shield or FP-10 or Wilson's Lube
    Protection: RustPrufe
    Rods: Dewey
    Brushes: correct sized brass brushes for each caliber barrel and oversize brass brush for the chamber.

Comments:
    RemOil: very light and worked well in S&W revolvers but too light for my preference in 1911 pistols.
    GunSlick: worked ok in hot weather but dried/hardened in cold weather to a solid lump and lost lubricating capability.
    Molybdenum Disulfide (dry, graphite cousin): works OK for reloading presses but have not tried it on my guns. Prefer liquid lubes for them.
    Motor Oils: some people swear by them for lubing pistols but my guns cost a lot of money and I prefer to use something specifically marketed for use on them. Cost for the quantities of lube I use is not prohibitive.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Alan,
    George Fennell (super nice guy) developed FP-10 several years ago. Now he has started another company and developed Weapon Shield. WS is supposed to be even better than FP-10. I use both and can't tell the difference. FP-10 is available at numerous stores. Weapon Shield is new but can be ordered from their website:
    http://www.steelshieldtech.com/

LB

ps: If you want a learned discourse on why FP-10 and Weapon Shield are superior products, call or e-mail George. He is an expert in the field of lubricants.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm going to try the Blue Wonder lube. I really like their solvent. I cleaned my shotgun with Hoppes till I thought it was clean, then went back in with Blue Wonder and it still picked up quite a bit of lead and powder residue. So far, that stuff has been great and it's not as messy as Hoppes.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alan,
    George Fennell (super nice guy) developed FP-10 several years ago. Now he has started another company and developed Weapon Shield. WS is supposed to be even better than FP-10. I use both and can't tell the difference. FP-10 is available at numerous stores. Weapon Shield is new but can be ordered from their website:
    http://www.steelshieldtech.com/

LB

ps: If you want a learned discourse on why FP-10 and Weapon Shield are superior products, call or e-mail George. He is an expert in the field of lubricants.

Cool, I'll order some and check it out.

kiloecho9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    DFW
    I have been using Breakfree CLP for 20+ years with no issues.
    Trying Weaponshield on one pistol and Slip2000 on my other 9mm.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I sent an e-mail to George Fennell, creator of FP-10 and Weapon Shield, inviting him to visit us and post on this new forum. Hopefully, he will pay us a visit and offer some insight into gun lubes for the members here.

LB

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I use FP-10 after 40+ years of cleaning firearms it works best for me, adheres to metal, less dust, I can shoot 100 rounds clean the barrel use an air compressor to blow out any dirt re lube with Fp-10 and good to go, I usually find with FP10 less field stripping necessary, also if shooting lead ammo once barrel has been cleaned a few times with FP-10 barrel is easier to clean. No I don't own stock in the company.:D

Top Bottom