• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I received an e-mail today from the GOA outlining a amicus brief filed with the Supreme Court. Basically it states that the plain text of the Second Amendment invalidates any and all gun control.

It will be interesting to say the least.

More can be found on their website, www.gunownersamerica.com
    Texas SOT

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I received the email today also. Apparently they don't have the website updated yet with the info about the amicus brief that they have filed. The link in the OP is the link from the email.

I am anxious to see the outcome of this.

Here is a copy of the email for those here who are not members and didn't receive it:

Ls,

New York City has been waging war on the Second Amendment for decades.

But now that pro-gun Justice Brett Kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, we saw the perfect opportunity to take these vicious anti-gunners to court.

We just filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court which states that the plain text of the Second Amendment invalidates any and all gun control.

Now we’re preparing for what will be one heck of a legal battle with the billionaire sharks who will represent anti-gun New York City in court.

Please make an URGENT, tax-deductible end-of-year gift of $5, $25, $50, or even $100 to Gun Owners Foundation to help offset the enormous legal costs associated with this critical legal battle to defend our rights.

No matter where you live, this inevitable Supreme Court case will have massive implications for the entire nation.

Ultimately, we are fighting back against the all-out massacre of your God-given rights at the hands of unelected judges all over the country. They’ve tried to force gun owners …

...To show “good cause” before getting a concealed carry permit.

...Or to lock up firearms in the home (imagine being forced to lock up your own guns on your own property).

...Or to only purchase certain types of firearms for protection.

...Or to force people to wait an arbitrary amount of time to purchase a firearm.

And now that Nancy Pelosi has seized control after running the most extreme anti-gunner campaign in history, we need to rise up this second and defend our rights.

You can view our Supreme Court brief here.

Please make an URGENT, tax-deductible end-of-year gift of $5, $25, $50, or even $100 to Gun Owners Foundation to help offset the enormous legal costs associated with this critical legal battle to defend our rights.

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
    Executive Director, Gun Owners of America

P.S. We’re fighting the legal battle of our lives. But it’s worth every penny -- because our God-given rights are on the table. Please make an end-of-year, tax-deductible gift to Gun Owners Foundation to help us offset the legal costs of this lawsuit that could set a new nationwide precedent for gun rights.

P.P.S. You can also support Gun Owners Foundation through the Combined Federal Campaign. To contribute to GOF, simply use Agency #10042.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I joined the GOA 4 weeks ago. Haven't gotten any email from them other than the original thank you for joining. They did send a decal and a blank membership card. They seem to be doing some good things like the amicus brief mentioned above. I wish the NRA would be more proactive instead of reactive.

I will be making a cash donation to GOA.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    So what is the lawsuit this brief is for? One doesn't just file a brief to give the court some light reading.

The court has this policy of "already decided" and doesn't like to go back to reconsider their decisions, even decades old ones.

We were infringed incrementally and I fear that the court is not going to want to take a big bite out of their previous decisions.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    So what is the lawsuit this brief is for? One doesn't just file a brief to give the court some light reading.

The court has this policy of "already decided" and doesn't like to go back to reconsider their decisions, even decades old ones.

We were infringed incrementally and I fear that the court is not going to want to take a big bite out of their previous decisions.

As stated in the link provided in the email, the brief is for NYSRP v. NY City.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I also got this letter/email. It is among the many of similar types I have received from them since joining less than a year now. I feel like they are asking for child support at this point. If it keeps up I won't be renewing. So far that is all I have gotten from them since joining. Just requests to send money every week or two. Kind of like the kids.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I also got this letter/email. It is among the many of similar types I have received from them since joining less than a year now. I feel like they are asking for child support at this point. If it keeps up I won't be renewing. So far that is all I have gotten from them since joining. Just requests to send money every week or two. Kind of like the kids.

I have been a member of the GOA for many years and I get very few requests for money from them. And you say that you get requests every week or two? That is kinda hard to believe.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Okay then don't. Not just mail but email and/or texts as well. I would say there has only been a few pieces (2 or 3) that weren't actually asking for donations. I had signed up long ago with the NRA but had kind of the same treatment. It was really bad just before the elections.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Okay then don't. Not just mail but email and/or texts as well. I would say there has only been a few pieces (2 or 3) that weren't actually asking for donations. I had signed up long ago with the NRA but had kind of the same treatment. It was really bad just before the elections.

Seems like your mind is already made up but just for the record there is no requirement to give any of these organizations a real phone number. Give them the DNC's if you wish.
    As far as emails, it takes a few minutes to set up a free account. Set it and forget it.
    The mail is a little trickier, but personally I don't see any more mail from them then any other junk mail I get and those mailings go right in the trash without a second thought.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so

All the links take to is donation request pages.

The title NYSRP v NY city tells me nothing about the suit.

I might contribute if there was a way to do so anonymously but not without more info and specifics about the suit.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    In the email there is this sentence:
    "You can view our Supreme Court brief here."
    Click where it says "here" and it will take you to the page that explains the suit.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Got another one today from Erich Pratt, Gun Owners of America. I shouldn't have to set up separate emails and phone numbers and such when I join an organization like this. Hounding your members isn't a good thing. I thought I would get more benefit than a barrage of emails, texts, and mail asking for money. To each his own I guess. I will just block them for email and phone and send their mail to the recycle bin.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I opted out from one guy and then have received 3 more from another guy now. I guess I just have to opt out from everything from them or hit the spam switch. Yes I get stuff from many other companies as well. But they don't seem to spam me as much as GOA is currently.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Doing something to protect our firearms rights takes, time, effort, and, yes, money. Legal costs for court battles, travel expenses for lobbyists, even renting a hall for a meeting with local activists all takes money. Is the constant clamoring for donations annoying? At times it can be but if I have a dollar or two to spare, I'll send it. I'd rather have an inbox full of pleas for money to defend my rights than one filled with moaning that our guns are gone and someone should have done something.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I'd rather have an inbox full of pleas for money to defend my rights than one filled with moaning that our guns are gone and someone should have done something.

Kinda agree, but personally would rather have one filled with messages along the lines of:

------------
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Don't forget to show up at the Capitol building on Monday morning, and bring snacks! 9-9:30am is when the charges are read (treason, sedition, violation of oaths, etc.), and the Hangin's start promptly at 10am! Respectful cell-phone recording is allowed and encouraged!

Don't miss it, but if you just can't make it, tune in to channel 7 and watch it live from home or work!

------------

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Doing something to protect our firearms rights takes, time, effort, and, yes, money. Legal costs for court battles, travel expenses for lobbyists, even renting a hall for a meeting with local activists all takes money. Is the constant clamoring for donations annoying? At times it can be but if I have a dollar or two to spare, I'll send it. I'd rather have an inbox full of pleas for money to defend my rights than one filled with moaning that our guns are gone and someone should have done something.

They get my membership fee and I started a monthly donation payment. How much am I expected to give? At some point people stop and leave because they won't stop. They have to understand an individual can only give so much before they stop giving. Kind of like taxes and the government. They should understand when I ask them to stop. A good organization would do this. At this point they are wasting money by trying to solicit funds from me when they could be using it to find $ somewhere else instead. If they aren't going to use it wisely then I won't give and will find another org to give to. Kind of like Google constantly fetching up ads for me for things I just bought online. Pretty useless. They should target things I want but haven't bought yet.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    It takes money to defend our gun rights. Of course, we could let all the organizations just dry up that defend our gun rights. Mailouts do raise money are they would have quit doing it a long time ago. If you feel tapped out just file 13 the mail. That's what I do. Don't be a weepy sister and badmouth the organizations that make sure your Second Amendment rights are there.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I give when I give. I am a member of several and the emails and mail I can trash. The NRA is the only one that at times will constantly call me, no matter if I gave the day before, but after not answering their calls even they have slacked off.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom