• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Hello all, so here's the story. I'm a resident of Canada looking to move to Texas within the next few years or so. In the mean time, I'm taking the time to research gun laws of the Lone Star State. I've been digging around and I just wanted to post a thread here just to have some members clarify and sum up my findings. And even correct me if I got some things wrong.

So when you receive a Green Card, this will allow the person to obtain a Social Security Card, which will allow the person to get a Texas Drivers License. Correct?

Would these be the only pieces of ID I would need to obtain a firearm?

Also, because I wouldn't be a U.S. Citizen, is there any type of Firearm or License that a Green Card holder could NOT obtain? (I.E. SBR, Transferable MG, SBS, CHL, Suppressor, Destructive Device, etc...)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Target Sports

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Yep, you simply need to be a legal resident alien living in Texas.

You can also get a Texas License to Carry (LTC).
    Dang, I didn't think it would be that simple haha. What sort of action would you think I would need to take in order to bring my firearms from Canada, over to the U.S.? Would I need to store them back up North until I receive my ID and Drivers license? Thanks for the help!

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Once you clear Customs in the right way, just put 'em in the trunk and come on down...by the central or western route. I'd take a beating before I'd bring a firearm through New York!!!

From Wiki:
    You'll use the "safe passage" provision of the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act Act (FOPA). FOPA provides that, notwithstanding any state, tribal, or local law, and while making a continuous journey, a person who is not a prohibited possessor is entitled to transport a firearm or ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm or ammunition if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm or ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

A lot of difference from state to state on guns in vehicle, so following FOPA is the simplest way to personally transport them.

Last edited:

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Once you clear Customs in the right way, just put 'em in the trunk and come on down...by the central or western route. I'd take a beating before I'd bring a firearm through New York!!!

From Wiki:
    You'll use the "safe passage" provision of the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act Act (FOPA). FOPA provides that, notwithstanding any state, tribal, or local law, and while making a continuous journey, a person who is not a prohibited possessor is entitled to transport a firearm or ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm or ammunition if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm or ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

A lot of difference from state to state on guns in vehicle, so following FOPA is the simplest way to personally transport them.
    Would it be possible to ship them? Because instead of driving for 24 hours, I was going to fly there and have an international moving company move my belongings.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Maybe your airline would take them as baggage...but clearing customs-I don't know how you'd do that. If you shipped them with household goods, I don't know if that's legal from another country-I'd call a large moving company and ask them...they've probably had to do it. Maybe if you don't have anything NFA , you don't have to do customs...you gotta dig that one out with them. More guns in Texas, the better!!! Come on down!

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Seems to me you may or may not have to import them via Form 6 and have them shipped to an FFL here. They don't list what needs a form 6 and what does not. Personally, I would start with calling ATF Import branch who's number is listed in the link above.

If you do call them, let us know what they say.

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Maybe your airline would take them as baggage...but clearing customs-I don't know how you'd do that. If you shipped them with household goods, I don't know if that's legal from another country-I'd call a large moving company and ask them...they've probably had to do it. Maybe if you don't have anything NFA , you don't have to do customs...you gotta dig that one out with them. More guns in Texas, the better!!! Come on down!
    Even if the airline would allow firearms as Baggage, its' going to be difficult for me to lug +20 firearms lol.

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Seems to me you may or may not have to import them via Form 6 and have them shipped to an FFL here. They don't list what needs a form 6 and what does not. Personally, I would start with calling ATF Import branch who's number is listed in the link above.

If you do call them, let us know what they say.
    Thanks. I'll take a look into that.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Not to be nosy, but what sort of firearms are you talking about. I ask because you probably can't import any "assault rifle" with a foreign barrel. Or any of those Chinese goodies you can still get in Canada. I would imagine even a barrel produced in Canada might have issues.

Either way, Definitely talk to a pro, I'm just thinking out loud to be honest.

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Not to be nosy, but what sort of firearms are you talking about. I ask because you probably can't import any "assault rifle" with a foreign barrel. Or any of those Chinese goodies you can still get in Canada. I would imagine even a barrel produced in Canada might have issues.

Either way, Definitely talk to a pro, I'm just thinking out loud to be honest.
    Semi Autos and Bolt actions with a Barrel greater than 16", a few shotguns, some Handguns and a few SBR's. Why might Chinese and foreign barrels have an issue?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Semi Autos and Bolt actions with a Barrel greater than 16", a few shotguns, some Handguns and a few SBR's. Why might Chinese and foreign barrels have an issue?

Open Letter to Federally Licensed Firearms Importers and Registered Importers of U.S. Munitions Import List Articles

https://www.atf.gov/file/84901/download

The Chinese ban was part of overall trade sanctions that effectively cut off any Norinco produced firearms and other munitions from import to the US. I will see if I can find an actual government provided link stating such though it was done via several executive orders and pinning it it down to one source is proving difficult, but if you Google Chinese Firearms Ban or Norico ban you can read up on it further.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom