• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    So I purchased a gsg-5 from McBrides, fill out the background paperwork, paid for it, and wait. Finally the guy gets back to me and explains that I have been put "on hold" and they can take up to 3 days to get back to me. So yea, I've got blueballs pretty bad. Why would this happen? I'm feeling pretty infringed. The only thing I can guess is homeland security is currently running a background check on me... for a job ;). Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it because I cut the tags off my matress?
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No, a HS background won't cause a delay. The most common causes are a similar name. Did you put your social security number on the 4473?

Get your CHL and skip the NICS check!.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No, a HS background won't cause a delay.

It happens to security officers working federal accounts quite a bit{at least this is what people in my classes have told me} as well as other people I have spoken with who are awaiting federal backgroung checks.

Maybe I should have said that the HS backgroung "might " be the cause of your delay, as I do not know for sure whether or not it will{just as you do not know for sure whether or not it wont}

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It happens to security officers working federal accounts quite a bit{at least this is what people in my classes have told me} as well as other people I have spoken with who are awaiting federal backgroung checks.

No, it doesn't. They just think it does. A NICS operator accesses the FBI National Crime Information Center, NCIC. Here is who is covered by the NCIC;
    (you can see the potential for a name or partial name match)

Categories of individuals covered by the system: A. Wanted Persons: 1. Individuals for whom Federal warrants are outstanding.
    2. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an offense which is classified as a felony or serious misdemeanor under the existing penal statutes of the jurisdiction originating the entry and for whom a felony or misdemeanor warrant has been issued with respect to the offense which was the basis of the entry. Probation and parole violators meeting the foregoing criteria.
    3. A "Temporary Felony Want" may be entered when a law enforcement agency has need to take prompt action to establish a "want" entry for the apprehension of a person who has committed or the officer has reasonable grounds to believe has committed, a felony and who may seek refuge by fleeing across jurisdictional boundaries and circumstances preclude the immediate procurement of a felony warrant. A "Temporary Felony Want" shall be specifically identified as such and subject to verification and support by a proper warrant within 48 hours following the entry of a temporary want. The agency originating the "Temporary Felony Want" shall be responsible for subsequent verification or re- entry of a permanent want.
    4. Juveniles who have been adjudicated delinquent and who have escaped or absconded from custody, even though no arrest warrants were issued. Juveniles who have been charged with the commission of a delinquent act that would be a crime if committed by an adult, and who have fled from the state where the act was committed.
    5. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an offense committed in a foreign country, which would be a felony if committed in the United States, and for whom a warrant of arrest is outstanding and for which act an extradition treaty exists between the United States and that country.
    6. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an offense committed in Canada and for whom a Canada-Wide Warrant has been issued which meets the requirements of the Canada-U.S. Extradition Treaty, 18 U.S.C. 3184.
    B. Individuals who have been charged with serious and/or significant offenses:
    1. Individuals who have been fingerprinted and whose criminal history record information has been obtained.
    2. Violent Felons: Persons with three or more convictions for a violent felony or serious drug offense as defined by 18 U.S.C. Sec. 924(e).
    C. Missing Persons:
    1. A person of any age who is missing and who is under proven physical/mental disability or is senile, thereby subjecting that person or others to personal and immediate danger.
    2. A person of any age who is missing under circumstances indicating that the disappearance was not voluntary. 3
    . A person of any age who is missing under circumstances indicating that that person's physical safety may be in danger.
    4. A person of any age who is missing after a catastrophe. 5. A person who is missing and declared unemancipated as defined by the laws of the person's state of residence and does not meet any of the entry criteria set forth in 1-4 above.
    D. Individuals designated by the U.S. Secret Service as posing a potential danger to the President and/or other authorized protectees.
    E. Members of Violent Criminal Gangs: Individuals about whom investigation has developed sufficient information to establish membership in a particular violent criminal gang by either:
    1. Self admission at the time of arrest or incarceration, or
    2. Any two of the following criteria: a. Identified as a gang member by a reliable informant;
    b. Identified as a gang member by an informant whose information has been corroborated;
    c. Frequents a gang's area, associates with known members, and/or affects gang dress, tattoos, or hand signals;
    d. Has been arrested multiple times with known gang members for offenses consistent with gang activity; or
    e. Self admission (other than at the time of arrest or incarceration).
    F. Members of Terrorist Organizations: Individuals about whom investigations has developed sufficient information to establish membership in a particular terrorist organization using the same criteria listed above in paragraph E, items 1 and 2 a-e, as they apply to members of terrorist organizations rather than members of violent criminal gangs.
    G. Unidentified Persons: 1. Any unidentified deceased person.
    2. Any person who is living and unable to ascertain the person's identity (e.g., infant, amnesia victim).
    3. Any unidentified catastrophe victim.
    4. Body parts when a body has been dismembered.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Like was previously stated, often the delay has to do with your name. McBrides can provide you with the NICS tracking# for your 4473 and a customer inquiry phone number to the NICS system. They can elaborate on the delay directly to you, but will never tell the employee calling the 4473 in why it was delayed because of confidentiality.

If this becomes a recurring problem you can register with the NICS program. I forget what they call it, but it is listed on a 4473.

Probably your name, but could be anything. A NICS operator will even delay and/or deny at the salespersons request. Just something to keep in mind.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I have never been delayed.Might want to consider getting a CCL so you do not have to wait.The dealer writes down your CCL card info on the form 4473 and they do not have to call your info in.You walk out with your gun right then and there without the hassle of the FBI background check.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I have really been enjoying faster gun sales with my CHL, I have never experienced a delay with or without it though.....

Trying to join the Department of Homeland Stupidity huh? Why in the hell would you want to go work for an enemy of liberty?

Welcome to the machine........

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    It wouldn't be the background security check for clearances that would hold you up. I've had three security investigations for separate clearances, and never had problems purchasing a firearm while they where ongoing... never had more than a 2-3minute wait in my entire life (and I've purchased guns in 3 different states.... NC, GA, and here).

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    From what I have been told, if you have a background check that is in progress on a federal level, it COULD, delay a NICS check. This jibes with what people I know have told me while awaiting a federal check for a job and tried to buy a gun while that was going on. A good friend of mine who is a DS agent gets delayed every time he buys a gun. He now has a CHL just so he does not have to wait 3 days.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    As I understand it, there is a number you can get from the NCIS people that will speed things up, if you get delayed often. I know a guy who has the same name as another and the other guy is a bad guy. There are enough coincidences on the place of birth, age, etc to send up a delayed notice. He now uses that number and has only 5 min max waits. Also buying on weekends can slow things down as the crew maning the phones is lighter.

TXTrophyhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    The question is number 9 on the 4473 form asking for a unique personal identificaton number(UPIN). If you are delayed on a regular basis they can give you a form to file with NICS to receive your number. On all transactions from that point on by including #9 answer (UPIN) you will be expidited on the bg check. It is far worse if you are pawning your firearm frequently and getting delayed. This is the main reason for #9

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    After the last "on hold" I had several years ago, I applied for a UPIN, which took about a year to receive. However I have not had another "on hold" gun purchase since receiving the UPIN number.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom