Join TexasGunTalk

Gun range prep stereotype

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Gilbertc13, Oct 5, 2018.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    It takes all kinds. My relaxation shooting comes at the end of my trip when I break out the 10/22 and a pile of ammo and make empty cans dance across the range. It's just fun.

Big Green and Dancing Heretik like this.
  2. robertc1024

robertc1024 Test Test Test TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Been there, done that. It's easy to get into the habit of just blasting away. There might be some value to that, but to get better, like any practice, you have to be intentional.

3. Moonpie

Moonpie DILLIGAF Lifetime Member

Back when I could only shoot at the outdoor range I was the guy who had boxes upon boxes of gear stacked in the truck on range day. Since the range is always closed on Monday and I avoided Saturday and Sunday out there like the plague that left four days to go shoot. So when I could get out there I took everything but the kitchen sink. I think in those boxes were parts to repair everything from a Brown Bess to a 40wt Plasma rifle. That got old.
    Couple of years ago an indoor range opened much closer.
    Now it is toss a couple of guns in the backpack and about 200rds per and its range time! If something truly needs repair I can run back to the house in less than five minutes.

Dancing Heretik, Southpaw and SQLGeek like this.
  4. TundraWookiee

TundraWookiee Scruffy Nerf Herder TGT Supporter

Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yeah I just heard about the new range the other day. Sure wish it had been there when I was living down there.

I used to bring 10-15 guns every trip. Now I bring 2 or 3 unless I'm meeting people that want to shoot specific ones.

Sent from one of those newfangled pocket computers using Tapatalk

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  5. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I pushed it at first because I had only gone to the range 3 times in the 2 years since I bought my first gun. I was making up for lost time. I had thought I should only go with someone more experienced in order to have someone to correct me when I did something wrong.

Don't get me wrong. Having someone there to help is a good thing. But, you learn different things when you go alone. And, it's certainly better than not going at all.

Nowadays, I never have to go too long without finding someone to go with. Finally!

Southpaw likes this.
  6. robertc1024

robertc1024 Test Test Test TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, you know where we are. LOL. It's easy to get intimidated when you go shooting with new people too, and you're inexperienced. I found TGT looking for gun laws prior to taking the LTC stuff. I was so excited to go to the range with some TGT peeps, careful, but very inexperienced. I was nervous as heck. After a few times, I got a lot more relaxed - so I think this fits in with the thread - get gun range prepped mentally too.

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  7. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, I do! And very grateful I am!

8. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I used to take a lot of stuff out there with me but cut it down when I started shooting once a week or so to loading mags before I left with 150 rounds of pistol ammo and rifle mags with 120 rounds of ammo and then going out and doing drills or working on fundamentals until I ran out of ammo then head back home. Cut way down on my wasted ammo just going out and blowing rounds down range for the hell of it and allowed me to focus on my "primary" rifle and pistol.

Every couple of months I'll pull something else out like the SKS or any number of other guns I like to shoot and go do basically the same thing.

rmantoo likes this.
  9. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    This is a pretty typical range day loadout for me: Tan bag is a 1911 and G34 w/mags and a few 100 rounds per, the black bag is stapler, tools, soap, cleaning stuff mostly, dubble bubble buckets are for dirty brass, blue bin is 5 ziplocs w/6.5g test loads, box of targets, couple IPSC cardboard targets, and my howa 1500 6.5g, and behind it all is a bag w/my 9mm PCC.

Takes me maybe 5 minutes from the time I unlock the gun room, make 4-5 trips to the truck and back to load and be ready to go.

IMG_1216.JPG