• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    Prior to getting my CHL last winter I promised myself I would make a trip to the gun range at least once a month so I joined one of the local clubs to get away from the public range knuckleheads. As I work a 4 day work week I loaded up my gear and headed out to the gun club on Friday morning to just have a few hours to clear my head. Nope, there are no pictures showing my groupings with the Colt or S&W and to tell you the truth my shooting was and is really mediocre. But you know, some days it's just really nice to get away from the world and think of nothing but poking holes in paper.....
    Texas SOT

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Now if only we could all afford to poke not just a few dozen or a few hundred holes in paper every week, but THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of holes in paper every week! That's how much I wish I could shoot at least. It is a nice escape. It seems simple to some but, the subtle mechanical and physical aspects of manipulating a mechanical object to achieve an intended purpose is always satisfying to me, whether it be racing sports cars, messing with electronics, or firearms.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    You will get better every time you shoot.I try to go to my range at least once a week.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Yeah the prices are not what they used to be.I am investing in another Dillon press so I can start reloading again.

OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    Guess i really should try to shoot more, but thought I was showing great restraint in not blowing through the 1K rounds I bought at Academy when they had that big sale a few weeks back :o

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Range therapy for me has been the cure for my empty next syndrome. Been going more often since my daughter went off to college, keeps my head clear, focused and aim sharp. I'd say I go out twice or three times a month.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While shooting more does help to a degree, I think there really is a point that most people reach where it really helps to have some form of professional instruction. I shot thousands of rounds in a very short period of time when I first got into handguns a little over a year ago. I improved a little bit, but I was still far worse off than I am now. I sort of self-trained myself to a degree, read every little tidbit I could from every professional I could, watched every video I could, etc. I reached a point though where I kind of hit a brick wall and didn't really get any better. Eventually I finally got some advice and pointers from a few experienced individuals, and that coupled with one particular DVD really kind of jump started me and made me start improving drastically. I still have a lot to learn, and I still need to go out and start taking some classes like fighting pistol classes, etc though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is the single best DVD I've found so far:

Tactical Response Gear

The content may seem pretty basic to some, however it really explains the fundamentals well and gives some excellent demonstrations to really due away with a lot of myths. I'm not even kidding but, the very next day after watching this, at the range I saw around a 50% improvement in my groupings, and I was much more consistent too. God that sounds like a line out of an infomercial or something. ;)

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Range therapy is great. My father-in-law and I have a standing appointment every Sunday afternoon at 5:00 to blast away the previous weeks worries. Even with the cost of ammo, it is a lot cheaper than going to a shrink. I keep telling him how much money we are saving by reloading and how we have paid off that Dillon reloader a long time ago. He nods and we keep shooting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    i think going to the range is great therapy. THe original reason that i joined the local gun club/range is so that my wife and i could go blow off some steam and kill some circles drawn on cardboard. I always leave the range feeling a bit better than when i arrived.

a44mag4dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In need of therapy

My name is Dave and I have a problem, I AM A GUNAHOLIC.
    While I am stuck over here in Kuwait I need as much therapy as possible. I don't get to posses any firearms while in Kuwait (not a soldier or security). So I found an indoor range and joined the Filipino Practical Shooting Club. Oh it feels good to poke some holes in paper. Its a little expensive, $15 for 20 rounds of 9mm, $19 for 20 rounds of .40 S&W, and $26 buck for 20 rounds of .45 ACP. The gun rental is free and range usage, since I am a club member, is free. Now I am waiting on Ramadan to be over so I can go back and let off a little steam. My next trip i am thinking of using the AK 47 or the Styer. The rifles get real expensive to shoot, but you only live once, and to be able to let off a few rounds of full auto 7.62 while in Kuwait will be really worth it.

friedk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Going to the range isn't as stress-relieving as it used to be for me because of my current monetary situation. Maybe I should invest in a .22.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    This is the single best DVD I've found so far:

Tactical Response Gear

The content may seem pretty basic to some, however it really explains the fundamentals well and gives some excellent demonstrations to really due away with a lot of myths. I'm not even kidding but, the very next day after watching this, at the range I saw around a 50% improvement in my groupings, and I was much more consistent too. God that sounds like a line out of an infomercial or something. ;)

That looks like a GREAT DVD, what's the running time on it?

Top Bottom