• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Monroe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Will be moving to the area in March. Where are the best places to shoot? I'm mainly looking for 100+yrd outdoor ranges and clay target games.
    Venture Surplus ad

John Monroe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Mostly I shoot to amuse myself. Long range pistol with contenders and such, so I'd like to have access to at least 300 yrds. Lately I've been shooting alot of trap/skeet/sporting clays as well. Looks like there are several opertunities to keep me shooting.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Elm fork in Dallas has a 100yd rifle range and a cool skeet setup. Waco is the only long range place I know of.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Tom Bean (Ralph's Range)
    · Phone: 903-546-6524
    · Address: FM902 and Joe Bob Road, Tom Bean, TX
    · Hours: Any Reasonable Time
    · Fees: $3/Hour
    · Highlights: Basically an open range with a 12 foot high 50 foot long berm. Has target stands for 1x2x8 posts (you bring 1x2x8 posts to tack targets to), Anything legal is allowed (speed shooting, holster draws, FMJ, AP, Tracer, Title I/II, .50 BMG, tannerite). ~120 yds max range.

From Bulldawg's site. Just an update, no tracers because of fire danger, no bumpfiring, and small tannerite charges please.

Check out his big yellow bus while your there.

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    Red River Arms seems to be ok. I like the owner, so far. Mostly, folks around here go out by Randall Lake Rd (near Lake Texoma) There's a place where folks shoot out there. Drop me a PM with your ph# or email. If I'm still around here in March, I'll show you around and maybe introduce you to a few friends that shoot. I MAY be moving to San Angelo, though. I won't know for about a week or so from now.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Anything legal is allowed (speed shooting, holster draws, FMJ, AP, Tracer, Title I/II, .50 BMG, tannerite).

Man, that's unusual but would be great to find at more ranges. It sucks to get "tapped" because you didn't stop and carefully count 2 seconds between shots.

Although I think Elm Fork is more relaxed on the policy, at least during the week and depending on who the RO is. At least quicker shots.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    This place is a diamond in the rough. Shot my CHl quals there twice and have been to several AR15.com shoots there. Nice range with a small crowd. If there are more than 10 shooters on the line at a time it's a bit spooky just from a logistics standpoint. Nice place to go shoot by yourself. (which will be about 90% of the time)

It would be a nice place for this group to shoot sometime. Contact Ralph at the numbers in the contact info or Cockandlocked at AR15.com.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Hi. New here too. Found this site Googling for the Tom Bean range I keep hearing about. Im from Denison and usually drop the coin at Red River Firearms. I live on the same side of town as Randell Lake Rd, I never new people shot out there though. Might swing by next time im out.

I only shoot handgun. HK USP .45... Price of Blazer Brass, with 15 or so bucks at RRFirearms taps me out sometimes. Cheaper dates with my USP are a plus. :)

Jedhyr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    I know this is an old post, but I'd like to know if anyone has been to Ralph's recently, I'd like to know if it's still open to everyone as I was thinking of going up there tomorrow or something if it was.

Thanks.

*Also about shooting up at Randell Lake, I've just been looking for a place to shoot outdoors.

John Monroe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I haven't been yet, but was thinking of trying the Tom Bean area Wednesday. I guess I'll pony up the coin and drive to Paris eventually. Does anyone know if the Tom Bean place has benches?

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I drove by it the other day. I didn't see any benches. But I did see a "monster truck" school bus. I almost missed it, I was driving though what you might call the "town" when I spotted it.
    The range is literally right next to the road in town.
    There is a bank about fifty to seventy five yards away too. Neighbors are close aswell.

But hey, guess they're all ok with it in Tom Bean.

I might check it out next weekend, if not tomorrow.

Jedhyr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    I drove by it the other day. I didn't see any benches. But I did see a "monster truck" school bus. I almost missed it, I was driving though what you might call the "town" when I spotted it.
    The range is literally right next to the road in town.
    There is a bank about fifty to seventy five yards away too. Neighbors are close aswell.

But hey, guess they're all ok with it in Tom Bean.

I might check it out next weekend, if not tomorrow.

Me and my father, and maybe my grandfather are going up there tomorrow at some time, I saw one of something that looked like a bench when I went by, but I could be wrong.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    There are two benches there that get moved around quite a bit. Take your own target stands as there may or not be any there when you go. No steel plates there anymore either. It only takes one to screw it up for everyone.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I didn't end up going... I might swing by next weekend though.

What do ya do, just give the door a knock?

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I know this is an old post, but I'd like to know if anyone has been to Ralph's recently, I'd like to know if it's still open to everyone as I was thinking of going up there tomorrow or something if it was.

Thanks.

*Also about shooting up at Randell Lake, I've just been looking for a place to shoot outdoors.

I went out to Randell today and saw a sign saying, "No Target Shooting, no rifles or pistols. $200 Fine. City Ordinance 17-6.1.4" If I remember right. Im sure I got some of the numbers wrong.
    So.. thats a bummer. :(

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    As far as Randell Lake, the last I knew, it wasn't in the city limits. I'll have to do some checking. There WAS a place north of Randell, on the same road, where people would always go shooting. I'm fairly certain that the place north is NOT in the city limits. I'm less than 5 mins away from there and I'll check tomorrow. The shooting spot is blocked off by a couple of felled trees to keep vehicles out. I'm going to have to check on the city limit boundaries, too. I had been told that HWY 75 was the northern boundary. I could have been told wrong. I don't see how the city can enforce ordinances on properties that are not within the city limits. Of course, Denison has run amok with laws over the last 34 years.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Cool beans, check back with what you see. I did see a spot off to the side of the road where a trail was blocked off with rubble. I didn't bother parking and hoofing it though.

The signs I saw were on the gate to the lake... er glorified pond..
    There is some construction going on out there too.

Edit:
    K. So I did some digging and according to this.
    http://www.cityofdenison.com/pandz/documents/denison_zoning_05-07-2009.pdf

So north of I75 and east of Randell Lake Road is outside city limits...
    So... Game on?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom