• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    I'm blessed to have a nice indoor range, run by good guys, in College Station. I was there last Saturday (I"m a member) and I honestly didn't feel safe. It was full and I had to wait my turn, but I just got out of there and brought a lot of my ammo home unshot.

I love the fact that there are more people shooting. It's good for all of us. But man, I gotta tell you, there were so many folks trying to figure out how to use their rented guns, turning aroudn with them to talk to their friends, kids, whatever while inserting a mag into a weapon that had the slide locked back.

I guess I'm paranoid. Middle of the week for me from now on. I'm not sure the range should do. THe stalls are all video monitored, but maybe a real person behind the line inside (with a flack jacket on)
    Venture Surplus ad

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Man I hear ya on this one!
    I only go early on Sunday mornings now because of that very issue.
    Even the range masters have a hard time watching all these new shooters.
    As bad as I hate to say this I wish ranges would require a "Gun Safety Check-Out" prior to anyone new shooting on their range.
    Every range I have been too requires you to fill out a card and on this card are the rules of the range but I also believe each range needs a data base to record that info.
    If you are new to the range then a range master takes you back to the firing line and goes over basic handling practices.
    I think this would help promote a better and safer environment for everyone.
    Just my

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I haven't shot at that range in years. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot in my yard. I know the folks over there try, but these days I find it difficult to go into their store, much less the range, because of all the people I encounter.

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    It is a real safety issue and I'm sure glad that you posted this. Last Sunday I was at the private range I belong to -- no one on duty, we just have to police ourselves. Some guys showed up to shot AR's and were pretty anxious to get to shooting and called a cease fire and went down to put up their targets. But I was practicing for service rifle competition so I went from standing to sitting and was sitting on the concrete out of their line of sight. Some additional shooters showed up and one was just to my right at a table and the first guys called a cease fire, I was down in sitting position and didn't hear them and the guy next to me didn't try to get my attention even though I was sitting there with a loaded rifle in my hands. I was focusing on my front sight and my position and broke a shot and lifted my head from my rifle to see a guy off to my right walking down range. I went down to him and apologized and told him that the guys next to me didn't try to get my attention. He said he hadn't seen me but that it was no big deal. It really bothered me. I talked to the guy next to me and he said "yeah, he called a cease fire" and I thought and you didn't think anything about me sitting there pointing a rifle down range?

These aren't toys and shooting is not the damn movies or TV. When I was still shooting at a public range, I quit shooting pistols there because of the gansters and morons. It's gotten to where people go and buy something black with lots of switches and rails and head out to go blast away and have absolutely no clue what they are doing or what safety means. We should all go through NRA safety classes periodically as refreshers and should encourage all the newcomers to do the same. Perhaps we should volunteer to help with safety training at our ranges too. It is a tragedy when someone gets hurt and the negative attention does us no good either.

Thanks again for posting this topic.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    "Teach your children well..." Not only do you need to teach safety, you also have to teach that they need to get INVOLVED when something unsafe is going on. See someone walking down a 'hot' range? Go down the line calling "cease fire!", THEN make sure the culprit understands just how dangerous his action was.

I was on a public range some years ago and an old man and a small boy came walking out of the woods and straight up the range towards the shooting stations! Guys were focused on sighting in rifles and such and most didn't see these morons. I jumped up and called cease fire down the range, then went over to try to talk to the pair. The old man smiled, waved, and walked back into the woods away from me! I really don't think he had a clue just how easily they could have been killed.

There's a time to mind your own business and a time to stand up and get involved.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    It all boils down to the supervision.
    I was raised to respect firearms so I know but it is essentially up to the Range Officer to make everything run smooth.
    Luckily I am a member of a range that does a spectacular job on 'officiating' and appreciate the discipline.

Top Bottom