• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Hey everyone,
    I don't have a lot of money to spend on a handgun but I was wondering if there are any good buys out there right now. I know most everyone here knows which guns are reliable and sell for a decent price. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just went through a divorce and I'm having to move to an apartment. :(

Any advice you all could give is greatly appreciated.
    Guns International

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I bought a Kel-Tec PF9 not too long ago for CC. It's the smallest 9mm you can buy and it's not too expensive. I recall paying between $200-300. It shoots well, is light but packs a bit of a punch (because it's all polymer except the slide and spring), and is easy to disassemble and clean. Plus 9mm ammo is pretty cheap.
    I've enjoyed shooting it but I've been told once I hit over 500-600 rounds the gun begins having problems. I should add here that I've shot about 400 through mine and it's still going fine. As a carry gun I feel that it works well for me. It's worth trying at the range.

I also have a S&W model 60 in .357 with a 3" barrel that I LOVE, but if you're on a tight budget the $600-700 price tag might be a bit much. Also, you may be looking more for a semi-auto than a revolver. But both are great guns IMO. :)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Look at the Taurus line of revolvers - many of the smaller framed 38's or even 357's will give you good protection, decent concealability, and fit a tight budget.
    Just remember - it DOES git better!! 12 years ago, I was in your shoes.....1200 car an' not much else, knocking around a Goodwill-furnished apartment. Since then, I met a WONDERFUL gal, have a 2 yr-old Harley bagger that's paid for, a year-old truck paid for, a year-old caddy w/6 months to payoff, and a nice house 4 years from bein' paid for......an' a purty decent toy collection in the safe!

It CAN be done!

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Thanks for the reply. I really have no preference between revolver or semi-auto. Unfortunately it's the lack of proper finances (due to my personal problems) that is stopping me from buying a good gun. I know I can't squeeze blood from a turnip but there has to be something out there that would help me sleep a little better at night.

Thanks again.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I also have a PF9 that I use for conceal carry
    I'm not sure if it will wear out after 600 rounds.....
    but if it does, Kel Tec will repair or replace since it has a lifetime warranty.
    I paid $300 for my PF9 and it is worth considering for CC or HD

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You don't mention what your budget is....might help - maybe someone out there with an old beater they'd let go of reasonably. I don't have any - but ya never know who might!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you want really cheap, look at a Hi Point. They are bottom feeder, trailer park guns, but they go bang. Otherwise a Taurus revolver is pretty inexpensive. Also, check out the used gun cases at your local gun stores. There where a bunch of Sig P6 German police trade ins floating around. They go for $300 - $400 depending on condition. Lots of holster wear, but good dependable guns.

If you were local here in DFW, I might let my .357 Ruger go pretty cheap. It needs a good home.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Some Beach... How much you look to spend?
    $100 to $200? or $200 to $300? or a little more?

If a pistol, there are some fairly decent ones in the $300 range... Or something for a home defense, maybe a shotgun?

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I have a kel-tec p11 (predecessor to the pf9 I think) it does pack a bit of a punch due to size and light weight,

I've also had some issues with hollow points in mine, have not tried my new Hornady Critical Defense ammo in it yet. As of yet I will not carry this gun for self defense, heard better of the PF9 though

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I have a kel-tec p11 (predecessor to the pf9 I think) it does pack a bit of a punch due to size and light weight,

I've also had some issues with hollow points in mine, have not tried my new Hornady Critical Defense ammo in it yet. As of yet I will not carry this gun for self defense, heard better of the PF9 though

Mine stovepiped once or twice every magazine until I ran over 150 rounds through it - and I tested it with three different magazines to figure out if it was the mag or the gun. Mine is also partial to Remington and Federal ammunition - it hates Winchester. Anyway, mine's been reliable since that 150-round "break in" so I'd trust mine...but not more than my S&W 60. I just trust something with less moving parts. :)

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Thanks again everyone. I went to a gun store near me and saw a Bersa Thunder .380 for $260. The man at the pawn shop I went to wanted $350 for a CZ .40 S&W w/2 clips.

I was thinking I needed to stay around the $200 range so maybe a shotgun for HD is what I should be looking for. Obviously I looking for the impossible: a good gun at a rock-bottom price. Then again, maybe I should just save up some $$$ and buy something nicer.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you shop HARD, you may well be able to come up with a Taurus .38 in a $2-250 range. Be patient, and make lots of offers.....I paid $425 for my 686 "race gun", complete w/competition holster - building it woulda been over 9-1200 easily.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Thanks again everyone. I went to a gun store near me and saw a Bersa Thunder .380 for $260. The man at the pawn shop I went to wanted $350 for a CZ .40 S&W w/2 clips.

I was thinking I needed to stay around the $200 range so maybe a shotgun for HD is what I should be looking for. Obviously I looking for the impossible: a good gun at a rock-bottom price. Then again, maybe I should just save up some $$$ and buy something nicer.

Keep in mind, .380 ammo is extremely hard to find right now. If you're paying cash, you might find a used one 9mm or .40 cal for the $200 to $250 range. Which the 9mm and .40cal ammo is easy to find, plus lots of different types of defense rounds... Just another option for you to look at.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Keep in mind, .380 ammo is extremely hard to find right now. If you're paying cash, you might find a used one 9mm or .40 cal for the $200 to $250 range. Which the 9mm and .40cal ammo is easy to find, plus lots of different types of defense rounds... Just another option for you to look at.
    Thanks ConnRadd! Where could I find a 9mm or .40 like you're saying? I could probably squeeze by with $200. And you're right, the guy showing me the .380 said ammo is still hard to find.

BTW, nice m109r! Before my life took this terrible turn (or could it be a blessing?), I was looking at buying one of those bad boys! Now it's just a far off dream...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I agree.

Don't even think about getting a .380 auto.

The kel tec's are suppose to have a break in period. They are going to malfunction for a hundred rounds or so.

Keep an eye out in a paper or on Texas gun trader (website, just google it).

Good luck.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Thanks ConnRadd! Where could I find a 9mm or .40 like you're saying? I could probably squeeze by with $200. And you're right, the guy showing me the .380 said ammo is still hard to find.

BTW, nice m109r! Before my life took this terrible turn (or could it be a blessing?), I was looking at buying one of those bad boys! Now it's just a far off dream...

Thanks on the m109r... I really do enjoy riding it, when I get time... ugh!

Unfortunately, I recently sold a S&W Sigma .40cal for $250. Not that I would say that the Sigma is a bad or good gun, but I bought it 12 years ago and put over 3 to 4k rounds through it and never had any issues. NONE. But, on the other side, I've heard others had... And to add, if I was strapped for cash and wanted a pistol, I would buy another based on my experience with that one.

I would say, keep checking here under the classifieds, this is where I sold my Sigma in about 20 mins. (BTW: Thank you Texas1911 for having a classified section here). People post guns here almost daily.

Since you are in Spring, might drive over to Tomball Pawn and see what they may have. They are a good group of people and I've had great experience there...

The key thing is, try not to rush. Impulse shopping is my worst enemy..

BTW: Hang in there... It will get better...

slammr

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    Don't buy a Kel-Tec before you shoot one. I was thinking of getting the PF9 until I shot it. Did not like it at all. You might try a Bersa Thunder in 9 or as others said or a Taurus revolver.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom