• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    9mm is the cheapest ammo, but I've seen lots of 9mm and 40 lately avalable too.

I don't know much about the cost of 38's or .357's. Don't ever shoot them.

Ps- shotty isn't s bad idea either. A 12 or 20 in buckshot.

A 12 with 00 buck has 18 .32 caliber pellets.

The biggest you can get in 20 gauge is going to be #3 shot (I've seen #2, but pretty rare). It work just fine too.

If you get one of those, try and get a 18 inch barrel. The shorter the better.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm glad you brought up GunBroker.com... Looks like guns have to go to an FFL; how much do FFL's charge for their service?

You're gonna have to shop around for a FFL in your area. I pay $20 for my FFL stuff.

One thing about GunBroker you should know. Most of the places that sell guns via that site charge a 3% credit card fee. This means you have to account for the following items:

a) Shipping - usually $25-$30 for a pistol.
    b) Credit card fee - 3% of the winning bid price ($3 per $100 spent)
    c) Your FFL fee - $20 and up

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Also picked up a Kel Tec PF9 last week, small, easy conceable, Packs a wallop and should do the job....Dealer told me that he had sold some to LEOs who carried them in their boot or ankle holsters as a back-up gun. Mine was $279 plus tax.

But if I was going after Zombies or man eating alligators I do have larger suitable arms for that chore.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Best deal IMO is the Sig P6 if you can still find one. It's a little on the larger side for concealed carry, but you're not going to want a sub-compact for home defense.

To be honest, home defense and concealed carry are two different uses that have almost completely different set of desired attributes. Your best bet for concealed carry is go to as small as you can while staying with as much caliber as you want to lug around (bigger caliber = more weight). You're better off with a .22 in your pocket than a .45 in your safe, but carry the most gun you can conceal and stay comfortable. For home defense, though you want the most gun you can get around the tightest corner in your house, and even then you can plan around that corner in most cases. :p A shotgun or even a carbine (AK, M4-style AR-15, M1 Carbine, even a lever-action .30-30 all are good for home defense) makes a lot better choice for defending the hearth than any handgun I can think of.

One note on the semi vs revolver thing: Revolvers are all going to be used in double action when you're in a self defense situation. Some pistols are double action only. I'm not a big fan of double action because it's a lot harder to get good with. IMO your best bet for a concealed carry weapon would be something striker-fired (short and light trigger pull, but not nearly so short and light as a single action firearm) or a SA/DA pistol. I had a chance to shoot a Taurus PT-111 recently and was nothing but impressed with it. The accuracy was much better than I expected, it was light but controllable and the trigger was good.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    A shotgun or even a carbine (AK, M4-style AR-15, M1 Carbine, even a lever-action .30-30 all are good for home defense) makes a lot better choice for defending the hearth than any handgun I can think of.
    I have a .270 win but since I'm moving into an apartment community I really don't want to fire a round like that. I'm not a ballistics expert but I have a sinking feeling in my stomach that a slug out of my rifle would go through a lot of walls. :eek:

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Yeah. Reminds me of an news article I read about a guy pegging a theif in the head with a Mosin Nagant while he was runningoff with his stereo. hah... I shouldn't laugh... but... yeah. anyway...

You should be able to find a used gloc somewhere close to that price and Id bet my life on one. But truthfully, Id get the shotgun with 00 in your situation.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    They have some great prices and nice people. Transfers are another story ... save your breath
    I stopped in there yesterday and you're right, the folks there were very nice and eager to show any gun/answer any question(s). Other than smaller calibers, most of their prices were around $350 and up. Do they negotiate prices at all?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I stopped in there yesterday and you're right, the folks there were very nice and eager to show any gun/answer any question(s). Other than smaller calibers, most of their prices were around $350 and up. Do they negotiate prices at all?

The "polite" way to ask is "Can you do anything on the price?" or "Is there any kind of cash discount?" I've found that by being polite I can usually get a 10-20% discount from the asking price.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    Okay guys, please don't laugh at me on this one...

I just picked up Hi-Point 9mm from a pawn shop for $179. Stopped by Walmart, picked up a box of 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ, inserted a few in the magazine, pulled the trigger, and it went "bang!" 1 shot so far and no problems!

This will be my nightstand gun. I really thought about a shotgun but even the shorter barrels get me worried in HD/tight quarters environments. Plus, if I ever want to get my CHL or just invoke the castle doctrine and carry it in my car, there it is. Well, come to think of it I don't think this is a good pistol for CC.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Okay guys, please don't laugh at me on this one...

I just picked up Hi-Point 9mm from a pawn shop for $179. Stopped by Walmart, picked up a box of 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ, inserted a few in the magazine, pulled the trigger, and it went "bang!" 1 shot so far and no problems!

This will be my nightstand gun. I really thought about a shotgun but even the shorter barrels get me worried in HD/tight quarters environments. Plus, if I ever want to get my CHL or just invoke the castle doctrine and carry it in my car, there it is. Well, come to think of it I don't think this is a good pistol for CC.

Hopefully no one will laugh at you..........you have to start somewhere. CONGRATS! Now go buy you some decent home defense ammo and make sure it cycles properly.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've found that by being polite I can usually get a 10-20% discount from the asking price.
    I'm not sure if you're talking about used guns or new. If it's new guns, 99% of most stores won't be coming off a price 10-20% just "because your nice". ;) Unless of course it's just price matching another store or something. Used guns are a whole other story of course.

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    I'm not sure if you're talking about used guns or new. If it's new guns, 99% of most stores won't be coming off a price 10-20% just "because your nice". ;) Unless of course it's just price matching another store or something. Used guns are a whole other story of course.
    FWIW, I asked the guy if he could do something with the price if I pay cash. He told me it would depend on what gun I'm interested in buying. Then I saw the Hi-Point C9 and he said that was as low as they could go on it ($179).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom