• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    If you're looking at shotguns for HD I love my Mossberg Maverick. I got mine with the shorter barrel since that's slightly more tactical for HD. Bought it for just a little over $200 at a pawn shop. I take it skeet shooting (and still do okay even with the shorter barrel) and it sits loaded next to my bed at night. It's been great, never had any problems with it.

Ps- shotty isn't s bad idea either. A 12 or 20 in buckshot.

A 12 with 00 buck has 18 .32 caliber pellets.

The biggest you can get in 20 gauge is going to be #3 shot (I've seen #2, but pretty rare). It work just fine too.

If you get one of those, try and get a 18 inch barrel. The shorter the better.
    Well, I stopped by a pawn shop this afternoon and spotted a Maverick 88 12 ga HD shotgun. I was able to get it for $140 out the door.

I thought hard about 00 buckshot but I'm really worried about thin walls at the apartment and/or pellets going through windows. I'm figuring, if it's ever needed, the max distance I'll need in my 1 bdrm apt is about 15-20 feet. So I just decided on a 2 3/4" #8 shot/target, low recoil/low noise load.

I guess I'm all set now. ;)
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You are gonna start another debate : )

Long story, go to Box of Truth where it talks about penetration.

You can kill a guy with birdy shot, but it won't penetrat worth a darn, even at 5 feet. I've seen X-rays where only one pellet made it past the rib cage. Long story short, anything that won't penetrat walls, isn't going to penetrate a bad guy. Many people will tell you that penetration is the most important factor in a defense gun. blah blah blah

It is your decision though.

Nice deal on the shotgun, btw. : )

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    You are gonna start another debate : )

Long story, go to Box of Truth where it talks about penetration.

You can kill a guy with birdy shot, but it won't penetrat worth a darn, even at 5 feet. I've seen X-rays where only one pellet made it past the rib cage. Long story short, anything that won't penetrat walls, isn't going to penetrate a bad guy. Many people will tell you that penetration is the most important factor in a defense gun. blah blah blah

It is your decision though.

Nice deal on the shotgun, btw. : )
    Oh yeah! That "Box of Truth" site is awesome!!! I TOTALLY forgot about them! I didn't realize I was opening a can 'o worms on this; my only concern is for my neighbors and their safety. I wouldn't want to be on the business end of 00 buck -or- birdshot, to be honest.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    #4 buck minimum. Odds of hitting a neighbor are very low. I have heard of almost no shootings where someone gets tagged by a bullet that traveled too far (when aimed fire is involved, anyway).

Anything capable of stopping a fight reliably and decisively is going to go through walls, period. Live with it.

Anytime my daughter asks (4 years old) I stop what I'm doing and let her see the gun, touch the gun, help put ammo into cases, sort brass, can't wait til she can load the magazines . She knows all she has to do is ask and knows what to do if she finds a firearm - don't touch and go tell an adult immediately

This worked for my brother and I. I can't find fault with it, and don't see how it isn't the best way to take care of it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I was abbreviating, to save time of course.
    EDIT: Wait, "The Herps" is common vernacular, how'd you being an Aggie not know this? It's the gift that keeps on giving for gods sake!

Sad....so in the interest of appearing cool, you're one of those that'll butcher the English language, eh? Oh, wait - that's right - ya gotta KNOW that yer misspellin' it before you can be cool 'bout it.....

heheheheeeeeeee

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This is why everyone hates Aggies.

i iz the def of kewl, btw

icon_vp.gif

Which one is you??

icon_roflmao.gif

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

One of my guns is a Rossi 357 2 in nickle 6 shot.
    I believe I bought it for about $350.

As to a shotgun for home invasion purposes - A standard Remington 870 12 ga you could get for about $380.

I hope this helps.

Hey everyone,
    I don't have a lot of money to spend on a handgun but I was wondering if there are any good buys out there right now. I know most everyone here knows which guns are reliable and sell for a decent price. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just went through a divorce and I'm having to move to an apartment. :(

Any advice you all could give is greatly appreciated.

Shriker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    First , I would go handgun over long gun just because its easy to manuver and much more versatile and carryable if needed.

Your budget is indeed very low but.....dont buy a cheapo brand gun most of the time they are not worth the low price- High point, rossi , charter and some others even Taurus are hit or miss NOT what you want to bet you life on, regardless of price.

Buy a good used gun , Glock and CZ are great low cost , Stoeger Couger also great for the money. Find a good used single action army style revolver used like a Ruger. A solid Ruger SP101 or GP100 used should be available in your price range....

Hope that helps....

Shriker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Hey Shriker,
    I ended up buying a Hi-Point then the wife decided to give all my guns to the neighbor. Now Mr. Anti-Gun told me he's not giving them back to me. Check out other thread with all the details...

Sweet Mary.....dude , I dont envy your position....hang in there.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    You can get a Springfield XD used for a very good cost... Reliable weapon, huge caliber range and long term outlook... I just sold my sub-compact XD that I had put close to 3000 rounds through and was still a tack driver... Just upgraded to a service model in a 40... Once you go XD you don't have to ever buy another home defense weapon but you're going to want to...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Sorry I forgot to mention that the market has a whole variety of concealment holsters for the XD line that really just mask this high capacity pistol if you get your CHL... I am a really small frame guy that really has issues not printing etc but the XD and the holsters I have for it is an amazing combination...

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you want really cheap, look at a Hi Point. They are bottom feeder, trailer park guns, but they go bang. =

lol geeeze guys.
    that hurts.
    yeah hi-points are cheap, and when they got started their quality was poor, but as of late they have vastly improved. ive been putting my c-9 thorugh hell, hndred and hundred of high presure loads (even some handloads that i was told where extra hot) and not one jam or fail to fire yet. and the fixed barrel makes for some accurate shooting.
    (esp with the ghost ring sight that comes with it, and is easy to install)
    not good for CC but i keep it by my pillow every night.

trailor park gun. gah
    lol

************EDIT*************

read the rest of the thread.
    and omfg i read the otehr thread you mentioned somebeach.

crazy crazy crzy.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    One thing to keep in mind - to be fair to the neighbor, who knows what your wife told him when she turned them over to him. Has she signed the paperwork requesting him to return them yet? Or, simply gone back over to get them from him?

Top Bottom