Gun registration question

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by woodgrain940, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodgrain940

woodgrain940 New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi, i used to live in california and just moved to texas. I have a pistol registered and california but i want to sell it in texas. Do i have to register it in texas or does the buyer have to. PLEASE HELP I HAVE NO CLUE

2. sti45

sti45 New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    No registeration here. GOD BLESS TEXAS

3. woodgrain940

woodgrain940 New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    so what do i do if its registered in california

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Walk outside and kiss the beautiful Texas soil. Then if you're sure the buyer isn't otherwise prohibited from buying/owning a handgun, take the money, give him the gun, shake hands and say thank you and wish him good shooting.

The last part I think it against California law, but we kinda think it's proper around here. :rofl:

Guess you figured out now that there is no gun registration in Texas. And you see how well registration is working to keep crimes down in the states that do have registrations. It's good to see gang bangers in Compton using sling shots during drive by's and committing robberies with sticks. :lolz:

5. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Fellow Californian here... I know the adjustment takes some getting used to, I went through it myself. To be honest my jaw dropped the first time I was told that I can have that rifle/handgun the same day I bought it! And gun shows... and CHL's... it's nice here.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm a recent expat. What you want is a form from the CA DOJ for "No Longer in Possession". Basically you send them an affidavit with the gun make and serial number, state that it was sold legally as a resident of Texas to another resident of the same (so that the buyer's name doesn't wind up in any records by "mistake") and they can pack sand about any other details.

The form is no longer on the CA DOJ website (though last time I looked there was a link to it there), but it can be found here: http://www.mendocino.courts.ca.gov/forms/FirearmFD4036.pdf

The reasons I'd send this form in are so that I'm off their records, and so that if that pistol turns up somewhere ten years down the road after being stolen and used to kill someone, you don't get any knocks on your door.

But mostly because I don't want CA DOJ to have those records. It's the principle of the thing.

I plan on trading both of my CA-registered handguns to a friend here for identical guns so that I can send in an NLIP form as soon as I get around to it. :texas:

7. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Do you honestly think they'll remove your name from their records? I suspect they'll just mark it "sold to an unnamed redneck - see attached FD4036" and leave your name in the database.

8. Brembo

Brembo New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    First - Congratulations on making "parole" or escaping from CA. I'm sure your internment in CA was a nightmare, but you're free now. Breath easy and enjoy the big busted women and slow sheep.

Second - Unless you are certain that the person you want to sell your pistol to is "clean", I would just keep it and put it away if you don't want to use it any longer. I know there's probably a thousand legal ways you can transfer the gun's ownership, but I tell you... sincerely ..that if you sell it or even give it away, possible changes to legislature could have you "transporting illegal firearms" and you're the next poster child for gun control on some loser's blog.

Honestly. Its crazy out there. Be ultra careful, please.

9. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Dude, please loosen it up and turn it shiny side out, okay?

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Nah, Brembo knows the truth. The black heli's and armored Suburban's have already converged on him and have taken him to an undisclosed place under the desert for interrogation. :lolz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.