• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    I am sure this has been covered on here but what are your guns safes of choice?

My parameters consist of this: $2000 or under and superior pry and theft protection. Obviously, there are levels of fire protection but I know not all safes are created equal. Hopefully, someone can school me on some other brands besides Liberty.

Thanks in advance.
    Lynx Defense

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Believe it or not, but I don’t own any safes. I’ve got an old Stack-On bolted to the floor with the barrel key left in. It’s got a bunch of rifles and shotguns with steel cable through the trigger guards secured to studs with a greenleaf on the backside.

Only one door/window sensor has a delay for our alarm. All the other are set to trigger immediately. All our exterior doors are double key deadbolts that get both locks thrown unless someone is entering or exiting.

Bolts are kept separate from the long guns, shotguns have a trigger lock. Bedside gun is only there when sleeping.

There are some other quick access firearms that I’m happy with how they are secured.

I usually work from home at least one random day of the week. If someone gets in and the alarm isn’t enough to send them running, there’s quicker/easier stuff to take than the guns.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    First, the only thing a safe (or a door, or a lock, or any other device) can do is slow down the bad guy. Hopefully, it will slow him down enough that he decides it's too much trouble, or he gets caught. Most thieves don't show up at night - it's much more common to show up during the day when you're at work and nobody's home.

You don't have to look far to find videos on how burglars have cut into safes - in some cases using the owner's own tools!

I knew a guy who built a safe in a closet. He had steel plates welded in place, and bought an expensive door for it and filled the bottom with concrete. A bad guy broke in and found the safe and figured it must contain something valuable. He came back a few days later with friends and a tow truck. They wrapped a chain around the entire closet and pulled it completely out of side of the house, then down the street where they loaded it on a flatbed truck. As far as I know, they were never caught.

So, what are you trying to do with the safe? Keep the guns away from you kids? Probably could use something cheap for that. Make life hard for a thief? Get something heavy and bolt it down. Fireproof? Yeah, that's gonna cost you some extra money. Thinking of buying a 15 gun safe for the 12 guns you own? Oh, no, no, no. You'll outgrow it so fast you'll hate yourself. Where are you going to put it? Upstairs? That might be hard. Garage? Heat and cold may hurt your guns regardless of the box.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's best to look at your particular situation and think about the options you have to make things difficult for the bad guys without making things difficult for yourself.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I like my Liberty. Fat Boy seems to be very popular for the price. I have a Lincoln 35.

It’s main job is to deter. I have electronic monitoring, but that’s easy to beat as well. I also insure my stuff with a rider.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, what are you trying to do with the safe? Keep the guns away from you kids? Probably could use something cheap for that. Make life hard for a thief? Get something heavy and bolt it down. Fireproof? Yeah, that's gonna cost you some extra money. Thinking of buying a 15 gun safe for the 12 guns you own? Oh, no, no, no. You'll outgrow it so fast you'll hate yourself. Where are you going to put it? Upstairs? That might be hard. Garage? Heat and cold may hurt your guns regardless of the box.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's best to look at your particular situation and think about the options you have to make things difficult for the bad guys without making things difficult for yourself.
    And this^^^^

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    :p

00H0H_hHr0ZcvTc3g_600x450.jpg

00p0p_fO8c0lA3dPM_600x450.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant