Join TexasGunTalk

Gun Safe Ideas

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by McCrapper, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Darqhelmet

Darqhelmet You had one job, one.

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    If it’s cheap think of it as a lockbox, secure storage and just get one of the stack on gun cabinets. If you can swing it get a real safe understanding that you are making it a target and consolidating your valuables in one spot. Those Chinese safes can be opened with a fire axe.

McCrapper likes this.
  2. Charlie

Charlie Time is the thief of memory! TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I'd like to see a video of that.

3. Darqhelmet

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    McCrapper likes this.
  4. Charlie

Charlie Time is the thief of memory! TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Thanks!

Dad_Roman likes this.
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    Which ever one decides, don't rely on any safe, RSC or any hidey hole scheme alone, one needs to invest in a reliable security system to notify you way before the thief is in front of your choice of container. Spending all your money on a real safe and not on any other layers of security is foolish.

6. Darqhelmet

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    Security in depth. No single points of failure.

toddnjoyce and Southpaw like this.
  7. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    Don't forget Craigslist either. I have found some good safes and gun storage containers there at times for a lot less than new prices. Also know the difference between a real safe and a Residential Security Container (RSC). I picked up a very nice 6'x4'x4' very well made 1/2" steel all around, gun storage box that was very well made from an estate sale for $250. Tough to move it though. Insurance shouldn't be neglected either if needed. Also a list with pictures, descriptions, and serial numbers. If you are robbed once expect a second occurrence at some point in the future. They like to return sometimes after you collect insurance and replace things. Or they rob you but don't get in the safe and come back later better prepared. I keep all guns, ammo and loading supplies locked up but rely on insurance to replace things. Let the insurance company and police worry about the items after the fact. I own no collectibles or antiques or firearms with any sentimental value though.

McCrapper and Darqhelmet like this.
  8. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Real safes can be pretty pricey and unbelievably heavy. I’ve come across a few in CL but they were bigger than what I was looking for.

Now that I’m building a hidden storage room speakeasy-style, I’m debating the need for a safe at all. I’m thinking lining the walls with steel plate might be sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  9. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Also be aware that firearms normally are not covered by homeowners insurance, they require a separate rider.
    Of course there are exceptions...

Dad_Roman likes this.
  10. Darqhelmet

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    You lining the ceiling too? Because ninjas are real and a clear threat. :D