• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I'm having a problem that maybe some of you have run into, and wanting some advice.
    My grandson, who is 3 , has discovered my gun safe keypad. It has become a game and scares me to death that he may somehow change the combo or do something to it by constantly pushing the beeping buttons. I have looked online and don't seem to find any sort of cover or anyone else that has dealt with this. My only idea right now it to put a grey or black cloth with magnets over it...out of sight, out of mind.

Anyone had to deal with this?

Thanks,
    Chris

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Out of sight, until discovered. If you just cover it, he WILL find it. Move the safe. My 3 and 4 year old don't go near any of my devices. It's been made clear that they're not to be touched.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I can not move the safe, it is in the only place I could put it. Too heavy to get it upstairs. The child is not well disciplined by his dad, and if I say anything, I get looked down upon....it's a complicated, dysfunctional kind of situation. I think I will try the cover, and then will be the "bad guy" when I have to scold him....gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Thanks for your input ChunkyMonkey.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry - but if the son isn't gonna control the grandson, then it's up to you - and tell him so unflinchingly. For all the razzing we do here, both of my boys KNOW that I do NOT compromise gun safety, or crossing of boundaries. Fortunately, they'd be on their kids before I could even move - but if not, they would absolutely understand, and wouldn't even CONSIDER that I was being "out of line".

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Yessir, I completely agree Redneck. It's a VERY complicated situation with the kiddo and his dad (my stepson). I have scolded the kiddo many times. It's time to be an asshole from El Paso and skeer the bajeebers outta the little rugrat.

Just thought maybe there was something out there in the world as far as a cover of sorts for the keypad. It's a volatile relationship between me and my stepson, so I was looking for a non-confrontational resolution. Keeps Mama Bear happier that way. Sometimes i cant please everyone.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Explain to your steps son, safe baby or dead baby. Dad(TexasRedneck) knows I have no problem with him scolding my kids. He'll tell you their reaction if they've seen a gun...they'll tell him. Son needs to man up. Anyday of the week, I'd prefer my son to be mad at me rather than having to call him to say there's been n accident. At least you're doing a good thing by thinking of a resolution. Does your safe have a key to manually lock the door so the keypad won't work? Or, for on the child's visit, can you remove the power supply from the.electronic keypad?

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    no sir, no key....I'll just have to create a little tension and put a stop to it quick and easy. you all know how it is when Mama bear gets upset....just wanted to avoid that. But, safety is first and foremost. I'm thinking I need to invent some kind of child proof cover for safe key pads!! I could retire on the millions of pennies I could make...

Thanks again fellas....

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Let your son know getting slapped is better than getting shot. If it hurts to understand the facts of gun safety.....

My kid and my brothers kids (who are usually with us) are crystal clear about not entering my room alone, let alone touch the safe or come near guns. They are 2, 2.5, 4, 7

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have scolded the kiddo many times. It's time to be an asshole from El Paso and skeer the bajeebers outta the little rugrat
    Agreed. Once he's over the initial shock of being disciplined for the first time, he'll probably enjoy interacting with you more once he understands your boundaries.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Safety is nothing to fool around with. If the youngster can't learn to keep his hands off the safe keypad, what makes you think he'll ever learn to not handle a firearm that might be left lying out one day? Believe me, that WILL happen sooner or later, despite your and your stepson's best efforts. Better he learns his limits now than have an accident later.

Top Bottom