gun safe

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by benny, Dec 23, 2009.

1. benny

benny New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    HOUSTON, TX (SOON!)
    I have a general question on where to locate a gun safe. I am relocating to Houston from PA and I was wondering what issues I would have placing my gun safe in the garage vs inside the house. (It will be lag bolted to the floor.)

My primary concern is humidity and temperature, especially during the summer (July - Aug). Is the standard safe Goldenrod sufficient to prevent rust, etc. or am I better off battling upper management (wife) to put the safe inside?

Any other thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    We lived in Montana for five years and I had the gun safe in the garage without a Goldenrod and never had any problems with rust, etc. And we lived in Maryland; same conditions. I would imagine Pennsylvania wouldn't be much different but the Goldenrod should be sufficient with the safe in the garage.

3. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm in SA, a bit less humidity than Houston, but not by much. My milsurps live in safe in my garage, with a standard Goldenrod as a dehumidifier. Never had a problem with rust.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Put upper management in garage :lolz:

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've heard alot of people use damprid

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Houston has VERY high humidity - I wouldn't do anything w/o humidity control, personally.

7. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Now now D ... we probably don't want to be giving advice like that ... well, assuming you want them to post again. :gotme:

8. RetArmySgt

RetArmySgt Glad to be back. TGT Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    In Houston i had a problem with rifles spot rusting in a safe inside without a moisture wick so if you going in the garage with it you might want to use some heavy duty gear for dehumidifying. My garage walls sweat most of the year.

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

True, he might end up in the safe, in the garage. :rofl:

10. Slotback

Slotback Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Invest in a quality dehumidifier as needed. Discussing it with upper management is a good idea as well. Just don't let the safe end up indoors and you in the garage.