• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So after this latest school shooting I decided I need to find a way I can personally impact this whole situation with kids with mental problems getting unsecured guns. While there are some gun owner parents that are just plain negligent I understand some probably just can't afford to secure their firearms especially in this economy.

Therefore I wanted to look into how exactly I would go about creating a Gun Safes for Needy Parents charity. I would like to try and find a template for how to set up a small local charity type thing like this. Anyone got any ideas on where I could start and how I could show potential donors that their money would go towards helping these people? I want to try and make it a 100% proceeds type thing, I'm willing to put in my own time and money for this. In addition perhaps we could setup charity shoots at local ranges to help spread the message to those of the gun community not on the internet.

Anybody interested in helping with this/have advice?
    Hurley's Gold

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    They can't afford to buy a gun lock and put the gun in a high hard to get to place? Sounds affordable and smart. How did they afford a handgun if you consider them needy.

Hell, News said it was a Ruger seni auto pistol.It should have had a lock if purchased new..

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Still gun locks are unideal for your home defense weapon (not to mention sometimes kids are taller than their parents and can use a ladder). At least trying to help that dad, who could barely afford a Khar, get a biometric safe would be nice.

I've seen also some people do gun charity for the poor. Can try and get biometric safes out to those people.

Sorry if this doesn't seem like as awesome of an idea I thought it was, just trying to figure out a way I can personally help prevent these tragedies and get our gun rights back while also promoting small government free market solutions. So sick of sitting in my computer chair bitching and lamenting that we are in an uphill battle and want to try and make some kind of difference.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A simple trigger lock would have stopped this - and no sign of one having been used. Sorry - but at some point WE are responsible for what goes on under our roof - not the rest of society.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Don't sit in the computer chair and bitch then. Get up and get out and advocate. Lead by example and educate the masses. Everyone who really knows me knows I'm a gun nut and also knows I'm knowledgeable about them and very safety conscious. People don't hesitate to ask me questions and I give them my honest opinion and advice. I offer to train anyone I come across that shows even the slightest interest and ask them to let others know I'm always happy to help. It may not be as grand a gesture as creating a charity or providing equipment but as Dawico put it, "You can give them everything needed but they must choose to use it." Most of these situations could be avoided by better judgement or by having the necessary knowledge that is required when owning a firearm in a household with children present.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I want someone to start a charity for the poor people who can't afford the ammo to be proficient shooters. After all, we would be safer if they had better aim and more practice.

4x4kayak2112

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Houston Area
    Maybe even a small wooden box with a pad lock. Easy to make, screw it to the floor or bed frame and keeps the younger kids away. But even a gun safe can't keep teenagers out. I found out my grandads digital code on his pretty quick (he had a stroke and couldnt remember it)

Im building a wooden cabinet, like a safe, for my long guns. I dont have much valueable guns and my carry piece is with me 24/7. It will be in my closet and bolted to the floor. When i had a metal cabinet, i lost the key, took a bfh and a bf-screwdriver. Few hits and it was open, if they really wanted "the good stuff" I have a home safe with my military medical record in it and a backup copy of windows 8.

Id be all for building a few gun boxes for the needy. Heck im a EMT and have a wife in nursing school and three little kids, id like a nice biometic safe.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've been thinking about making a wood box to transport my guns in. Open the top and there will be two dividers. At the top of each one will be U shaped grooves to set my rifles and shotgun in, on one end between the divider and side of the box, put in a block of foam with cutouts for my pistols, and use the rest for ammo storage, spare parts, and maybe put a target holder on the back wall.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So honestly, is this probably a hopeless cause? Like I said I don't want to ram anything down anyones throat, last thing I want is to step on any body elses rights. Just trying to find a positive way I can help educate people to be safe and responsible with their firearms.

Texan2, I do somewhat like the idea of getting people practice ammo but at the same time I want to make sure these people understand that dry fire practice is MUCH more important than live fire (which can be counterproductive if you do it too much, ingraining your muscle memory with anticipation of recoil).

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Rush - I don't think there is a huge need for it, but.....I'm sure there are some less fortunate folks who could benefit from this - the folks who would just set it in a drawer in their nightstand and assume their children wouldn't touch the guns. It is also good publicity for the gun crowd. And hell, wouldn't hurt to say we have to got to a charity fundraiser.....TO GO SHOOTING!

Don't worry about what others say, if you want to do it, do it. Besides, this is a crowd that is really into guns (and I think most of us have the dinero to afford the safes) - not the crowd that would be interested in this anyways.

Worst case, you'll probably meet some good folks. You may well draw some other folks onto here. And you may just some gun owners to become gun enthusiasts.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    So honestly, is this probably a hopeless cause? Like I said I don't want to ram anything down anyones throat, last thing I want is to step on any body elses rights. Just trying to find a positive way I can help educate people to be safe and responsible with their firearms.

I applaud the sentiment, but question the practicality. That said, there's always thousands of pessimistic reasons why something can't be done.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

Texan2, I do somewhat like the idea of getting people practice ammo but at the same time I want to make sure these people understand that dry fire practice is MUCH more important than live fire (which can be counterproductive if you do it too much, ingraining your muscle memory with anticipation of recoil).

I say if you have the means-go for it! It certainly can't hurt.

As far as the recoil thing-I didn't get past my anticipation of the recoil until i became a range regular.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    1. My post about practice ammo was sarcasm. If people want a gun safe or practice ammo they need to go buy one with their own money.
    2. Dry firing is more important than live fire??? I would beg to differ. If you are anticipating recoil, you need to address that, not dry fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Still gun locks are unideal for your home defense weapon (not to mention sometimes kids are taller than their parents and can use a ladder). At least trying to help that dad, who could barely afford a Khar, get a biometric safe would be nice.

I've seen also some people do gun charity for the poor. Can try and get biometric safes out to those people.

Sorry if this doesn't seem like as awesome of an idea I thought it was, just trying to figure out a way I can personally help prevent these tragedies and get our gun rights back while also promoting small government free market solutions. So sick of sitting in my computer chair bitching and lamenting that we are in an uphill battle and want to try and make some kind of difference.

I believe this is an AWESOME idea, I completely support this. May GOD bless you, and show you the way to bring this idea to life. This is literally the smartest thing I've read on the forum, don't let people convince you other wise, Imagine if we all did something as cool as this, it would definitely make our Community/ Country a better place for our children. Thanks dude!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I would start off by writing to Sentrasafe, Winchester, CANNON, and academy. Doesn't sound likely to be effective right away, but if enough people and enough letters make it by who knows, atleast you put forth the effort and your heart is in the right place, Who knows... Maybe a little touch of GODS help will be enough. If this gets off the ground message me, and I will do whatever I can to help this cause.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Give me a break, folks......if they can't "afford" a safe, how expensive is a trigger lock? Oh, wait - they GIVE you those with the gun. Trying to get a safe manufacturer to GIVE 'em one? Wait....I can't afford a gun - let's get 'em to GIVE me one.

You wanna run w/your idea, that's fine. I applaud your effort, although I'll also point out that likelihood that if they're living THAT close to the edge, that safe will be on Craigslist within 6 months. I've done similar stuff with Christmas toys for "needy kids", where we'd pull up in front of a dump with a new vehicle parked out front that the parents are barely keeping up with, and within a week after Christmas, the toys are at the pawn shops or on Craigslist (yeah, literally).

Top Bottom