Join TexasGunTalk

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Cyfer, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    I know, I know, I should have one by now for all my rifles, but I'm just getting around to looking at purchasing one. I just wanted to get ya'lls input on what I need to look for and what brands. I've been reading around and it seems like American Security to be a standup product. Ideally, I'd prefer a horizontal drawer rifle safe if that's even at all possible, so I'm throwing that question out to the members here.

1) Gun safes you recommend? (Need to hold about 8-12 rifles along with pistols, ammo, accessories, etc...)

2) Horizontal gun safes?
    a. Are there any available?
    b. Would that be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for those posting their suggestions and experiences.

2. Texas Armadillo

Texas Armadillo Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I have a Sentry. I went down to Academy at I-10 and Grand Park and got one similar to this. It has been a good safe, but I wish I had bought a larger one. They will deliver it to your house and move it inside for you... for a small nominal fee... I just had a couple of their employees help me slide it into my pickup, and had a couple of neighbors help me move inside.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/productDetail.aspx?s=208&WT.si_n=ShoppingCart&WT.si_p=CartView

I don't know how they come up with the amount of rifles they say you can get in them. I can only get about 10 guns in a 14 gun safe. Thus... I suggest buying even bigger than your wildest dreams. Just my opinion.;)

3. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    So is it a bad idea to have my safe installed and bolted down in my garage? I'm looking to get a larger safe (22-30gun) and not sure if I can even get it up to the second floor, let alone if the second floor could handle it. (800lbs+)

4. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Anyone know what kind of safe this is? I know it's from the 2002 Shot Show, so not even sure if they ever released it. It has Panther as a brand in the picture, but the caption from the Shot Show showed it as DPMS gun safe which didn't make much sense to me.

Dsc00518.jpg

5. Acesn8's

Acesn8's Well-Known

Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    The only two drawbacks that I can think of would be accessibility (who wants to fondle their guns in a 100+ degree garage) and all the implements of destruction at hand ;drills,grinders,saws ect.:eek:

Afriend of mine has a 750lb safe in his second floor bedroom and with what he keeps in it exceeds well over 850lbs.
    When you do purchase a safe buy one that you can grow into because your collection of firearms will continue to grow, also buy one that you can remove the door it's easier to move from one locaion to another. 2c.jpg

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com

That design is inherently easier to attack than the typical design with the door being a single surface. As opposed to a flat door with a seam on one surface to attack, that design has two doors constituting roughly half of the vertical surface area. The left door would be easily compromised by destroying the hinges - at which point the door could be removed. The corners might also be a point to attack.

I would think it better to stick with a conventional design that makes the door much harder to attack with multiple locking points rendering a hinge attack pointless and offering less "perimeter" to attack.

7. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    "When you do purchase a safe buy one that you can grow into because your collection of firearms will continue to grow,"

+1

I also bought a 14 gun, SENTRY safe (from Academy) when I only had a few hand guns (5) & rifles (5). It
    didn't take long to out grow that safe.:( Just my $.02

8. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Actually, think I have decided on the safe I'll be getting.

Winchester WL 7240
    17/34/51 Gun Storage
    1190lbs
    72H X 40W X 27D

http://www.granitesafe.com/winchester.html

Price wasn't too bad also. Was $1500 on the Carter's Country on I-10W & Campbell.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

9. Acesn8's

Acesn8's Well-Known

Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Very secure looking safe Cyfer ,I hope they're going to set it up for you and not just deliver it curbside like most do.

10. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Yea, for another $200 they'll deliver and install in any location on the 1st floor. Add another $35 for 2 bolts or $50 for 4 bolts.