• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    I know, I know, I should have one by now for all my rifles, but I'm just getting around to looking at purchasing one. I just wanted to get ya'lls input on what I need to look for and what brands. I've been reading around and it seems like American Security to be a standup product. Ideally, I'd prefer a horizontal drawer rifle safe if that's even at all possible, so I'm throwing that question out to the members here.

1) Gun safes you recommend? (Need to hold about 8-12 rifles along with pistols, ammo, accessories, etc...)

2) Horizontal gun safes?
    a. Are there any available?
    b. Would that be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for those posting their suggestions and experiences.
    DK Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    I have a Sentry. I went down to Academy at I-10 and Grand Park and got one similar to this. It has been a good safe, but I wish I had bought a larger one. They will deliver it to your house and move it inside for you... for a small nominal fee... I just had a couple of their employees help me slide it into my pickup, and had a couple of neighbors help me move inside.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/productDetail.aspx?s=208&WT.si_n=ShoppingCart&WT.si_p=CartView

I don't know how they come up with the amount of rifles they say you can get in them. I can only get about 10 guns in a 14 gun safe. Thus... I suggest buying even bigger than your wildest dreams. Just my opinion.;)

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    So is it a bad idea to have my safe installed and bolted down in my garage? I'm looking to get a larger safe (22-30gun) and not sure if I can even get it up to the second floor, let alone if the second floor could handle it. (800lbs+)

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Anyone know what kind of safe this is? I know it's from the 2002 Shot Show, so not even sure if they ever released it. It has Panther as a brand in the picture, but the caption from the Shot Show showed it as DPMS gun safe which didn't make much sense to me.

Dsc00518.jpg
    http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT_Show_2002/Day2/Dsc00518

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    So is it a bad idea to have my safe installed and bolted down in my garage? I'm looking to get a larger safe (22-30gun) and not sure if I can even get it up to the second floor, let alone if the second floor could handle it. (800lbs+)

The only two drawbacks that I can think of would be accessibility (who wants to fondle their guns in a 100+ degree garage) and all the implements of destruction at hand ;drills,grinders,saws ect.:eek:

Afriend of mine has a 750lb safe in his second floor bedroom and with what he keeps in it exceeds well over 850lbs.
    When you do purchase a safe buy one that you can grow into because your collection of firearms will continue to grow, also buy one that you can remove the door it's easier to move from one locaion to another.
    2c.jpg

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Anyone know what kind of safe this is? I know it's from the 2002 Shot Show, so not even sure if they ever released it. It has Panther as a brand in the picture, but the caption from the Shot Show showed it as DPMS gun safe which didn't make much sense to me.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT_Show_2002/Day2/Dsc00518.jpg

That design is inherently easier to attack than the typical design with the door being a single surface. As opposed to a flat door with a seam on one surface to attack, that design has two doors constituting roughly half of the vertical surface area. The left door would be easily compromised by destroying the hinges - at which point the door could be removed. The corners might also be a point to attack.

I would think it better to stick with a conventional design that makes the door much harder to attack with multiple locking points rendering a hinge attack pointless and offering less "perimeter" to attack.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    "When you do purchase a safe buy one that you can grow into because your collection of firearms will continue to grow,"

+1

I also bought a 14 gun, SENTRY safe (from Academy) when I only had a few hand guns (5) & rifles (5). It
    didn't take long to out grow that safe.:( Just my $.02

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Actually, think I have decided on the safe I'll be getting.

Winchester WL 7240
    17/34/51 Gun Storage
    1190lbs
    72H X 40W X 27D

http://www.granitesafe.com/winchester.html

Price wasn't too bad also. Was $1500 on the Carter's Country on I-10W & Campbell.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Very secure looking safe Cyfer ,I hope they're going to set it up for you and not just deliver it curbside like most do.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Yea, for another $200 they'll deliver and install in any location on the 1st floor. Add another $35 for 2 bolts or $50 for 4 bolts.

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona

Dsc00518.jpg

DPMS is Panther Arms. Bill T.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually having the safe I purchased delivered and bolted down today. Best part, the day I purchased the safe, it was on a closeout deal and I saved $500. :-D

Bought the Winchester safe as described a few posts above for $1000. Can't argue or beat that on any other deal for a 51gun/1000+lbs safe... Couldn't be happier...

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Little bit of sag in that top shelf! :D Bill T.

Yea, I'm already thinking about how to replace that shelf or to redesign the safe internally. At least that's not all my ammo. I'm going to need another ammo can to free up that shelf. The ammo can on the bottom of the picture has the other 1500rds of .223 and 5.7 . :D

Nice safe! Great price as well. Enjoy filling it up. I'm sure it won't take long.

Here's the problem, this is my first safe and it's "suppose" to be a 54 gun safe. I was upset at first because yes, my M1A only needs to take up one horizontal slot, but my AK or M4 takes up to three. It annoys me that there's barely any room in there to move the guns around and I hate seeing them touch or bang up against each other. Any suggestions from anyone?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yea, I'm already thinking about how to replace that shelf or to redesign the safe internally. At least that's not all my ammo. I'm going to need another ammo can to free up that shelf. The ammo can on the bottom of the picture has the other 1500rds of .223 and 5.7 . :D

Here's the problem, this is my first safe and it's "suppose" to be a 54 gun safe. I was upset at first because yes, my M1A only needs to take up one horizontal slot, but my AK or M4 takes up to three. It annoys me that there's barely any room in there to move the guns around and I hate seeing them touch or bang up against each other. Any suggestions from anyone?

Just buy another safe! Sorry, just had to say it!

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona

Welcome to the world of overrated gun safes. They're all that way.

gunsafe5uk0.jpg

This is one of mine. It's a Cannon that was "rated" for 32 guns. You can see that it is all but impossible to get 32 guns in it without the scope of one gun hitting the trigger guard of the rifle behind it. The 24 guns I have in it are a tight squeeze as you can see. It's a major pain to get any guns in the back row out.

gunsafe11cn6.jpg

gunsafe1ob2.jpg

This is my Liberty. It has a little better arrangement for long guns, being laid out in a U shape. But you still have to be very careful removing them. I bought this safe for most of my handguns, and it has worked out well for that purpose.

gunsafes0031is9.jpg

These are my 2 inexpensive Stack-On's. I have them lag bolted to the wall studs. I placed 8 bags of shot, (200 pounds), at the bottom of each. That way even if they manage to get them pryed from the wall, they'll break their backs trying to carry them out. I'm not worried because someone is always home at our place. Including "Sam" my 105 pound Golden Retriever who doesn't like strangers! No matter what size gun safe you buy, you will find it doesn't hold the amount of guns they advertise, and you will wind up buying another. It's only a matter of time. I'm ready for my 5th. :D Bill T.

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    Do you bolt your safes in your garage or somewhere in the house?

All safes are inside the house. Here in Arizona Summertime temps this time of year can reach 115+ degrees. Parking 2 hot cars in the garage can raise that to over 130 degrees. Those kind of temperatures would destroy Walnut stocked firearms in no time. Bill T.

Top Bottom