• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXSig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    El Paso
    I'm looking for a good gun safe. I have decided that the Remington Safe down at Academy on the West Side for $599.00 is a good solid deal. Is there any ohers in town I should consider? It's not too big and not too small....!
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I ordered mine online with free shipping. I needed a specific size and it was cheaper than what Cabelas had to offer. Academy didn't have one the right size. Get the biggest safe you can. You will be surprised how much stuff besides guns that you want to put in there. Also, get the electronic keypad. It will save you some hairpulling, and allow easier access under duress.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let me preface my comments by saying that the biggest issue with safes is cost, and I'm sorely aware of that. I've currently got a Ft. Knox 72 x 41 that I've outgrown, and am in the process of buying another this year. We're talking around $6k here - so it's NOT a small purchase. Thing is, if my collection continues to grow, it'll likely house over 50k worth of firearms, so part of the equation for me is relative - cost vs. what's being protected. Because of that, the lighter safes simply aren't (IMO) subject to consideration.
    I WILL note, however, that my first safe was about $1500 - about the same size, but a Browning and not nearly as sturdy. Back then, it was as far as I could afford to stretch, though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Check out Gander Mountain as well, although their gun prices are high, they do have sales on safes & they are good buys.

dublin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    El Paso
    I just ordered an Amsec safe, should arrive next week. They have about a three week lead time right now. Very strongly considered a Ft. Knox just wasn't ready to spend quite that much yet. Gunsafes.com has Shop Safes: Gun Safes, Gun Cabinets, Fire Safes, and Handgun Safes! free shipping on safes. If you really start looking into them you'll probably want a little more for a higher quality safe. Also, consider the weight and how you'll actually be moving it. I know Academy will help load a 700lb safe into a truck but then it's up to you to unload and get it into place.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just ordered an Amsec safe, should arrive next week. They have about a three week lead time right now. Very strongly considered a Ft. Knox just wasn't ready to spend quite that much yet. Gunsafes.com has Shop Safes: Gun Safes, Gun Cabinets, Fire Safes, and Handgun Safes! free shipping on safes. If you really start looking into them you'll probably want a little more for a higher quality safe. Also, consider the weight and how you'll actually be moving it. I know Academy will help load a 700lb safe into a truck but then it's up to you to unload and get it into place.

They (Gander Mountain) have people they recomend to use to deliver it (at least the store by my house).....they set mine up & bolted it to the floor.

EDIT: I just checked their prices.....the same safe I got from Gander cost $600.00 more at that website.

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    Unfortunately I dont believe we have a Gander Mountain in El Paso.

Another option would be to buy used there are several people in town who sell safes and some of them are bound to have used ones in stock.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Just a thought...

Interested in this thread because as we pursue gun owner ship in a family with 4 kids 8-12 (and their inquisitive friends) lock-up and various types of gun safes become a necessity!
    Haven't made my choice yet other than I plan to have a key-pad pistol safe (possibly several - 2 in our bed room and one in each truck) as well as a traditional cabinet sized gun safe.
    But I digress...
    I was talking with someone yesterday about a safe door offered by Winchester - just the door. He has a closet full so I brought it up. Build in reinforcement into the closet, add a welded steel door frame, finish it out and top it off with the safe door. He brought up a novel way to cheaply and effectively build in the closet. Chain link fence lining the inside of the closet at regular intervals lag bolted to the studs. We know from prior reporting that this will actually stop a chain saw from cutting thru the walls of a shed, so it should work the same for the interior wall of a house.
    Anyone else considered this or another variation?

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso

Yes I am considering this since I am only in college and dont have a great deal of cash just laying around. What I had thought of was to change the dead bolt on a closet to a better quality one, add another hinge in the middle of the door, chage the hinges with tamper proof screws and to the inside portion of the closet, put a metal strip on the edge on the door so that it could not be pried, and reinforce the door by screwing in metal pipe to the backside at different intervals.

I would not reinforce the walls since they are made of brick.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Interested in this thread because as we pursue gun owner ship in a family with 4 kids 8-12 (and their inquisitive friends) lock-up and various types of gun safes become a necessity!
    Haven't made my choice yet other than I plan to have a key-pad pistol safe (possibly several - 2 in our bed room and one in each truck) as well as a traditional cabinet sized gun safe.
    But I digress...
    I was talking with someone yesterday about a safe door offered by Winchester - just the door. He has a closet full so I brought it up. Build in reinforcement into the closet, add a welded steel door frame, finish it out and top it off with the safe door. He brought up a novel way to cheaply and effectively build in the closet. Chain link fence lining the inside of the closet at regular intervals lag bolted to the studs. We know from prior reporting that this will actually stop a chain saw from cutting thru the walls of a shed, so it should work the same for the interior wall of a house.

Don't forget to reinforce the top/ceiling of the closet.....

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Let me preface my comments by saying that the biggest issue with safes is cost, and I'm sorely aware of that. I've currently got a Ft. Knox 72 x 41 that I've outgrown, and am in the process of buying another this year. We're talking around $6k here - so it's NOT a small purchase. Thing is, if my collection continues to grow, it'll likely house over 50k worth of firearms, so part of the equation for me is relative - cost vs. what's being protected. Because of that, the lighter safes simply aren't (IMO) subject to consideration.
    I WILL note, however, that my first safe was about $1500 - about the same size, but a Browning and not nearly as sturdy. Back then, it was as far as I could afford to stretch, though.
    What you need (what we all need) is a GUN ROOM ~ secured of course.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When I remodeled my bathroom and closet, I built the closet as a tornado shelter. There are solid concrete blocks between the studs, four layers of plywood on the inside and outside of the walls, four layers on the ceiling, a welded steel door frame, a steel door with three deadbolts and the whole thing is strapped together with Simpson straps and anchor bolts every foot. The two things that keep me from storing my guns in there are moisture issues with it opening to the bathroom, and my wife feels like she needs all 8' x8' for her clothes. I do get a little two foot section for my clothes. When I remodeled it, I ended up with a perfect sized space for a new larger gun safe in our bedroom, but that closet would make a wonderful gun room.

stainone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    temple,texas
    When I remodeled my bathroom and closet, I built the closet as a tornado shelter. There are solid concrete blocks between the studs, four layers of plywood on the inside and outside of the walls, four layers on the ceiling, a welded steel door frame, a steel door with three deadbolts and the whole thing is strapped together with Simpson straps and anchor bolts every foot. The two things that keep me from storing my guns in there are moisture issues with it opening to the bathroom, and my wife feels like she needs all 8' x8' for her clothes. I do get a little two foot section for my clothes. When I remodeled it, I ended up with a perfect sized space for a new larger gun safe in our bedroom, but that closet would make a wonderful gun room.
    CAMP-186.png
    Eva-Dry Mini DeHumidifier, 5x6" 10 Year Life for Gun Cases and Closets and Safes
    4.0.png
    4 Customer Reviews
    ctdirt 25.00 bucks

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    CAMP-186.png
    Eva-Dry Mini DeHumidifier, 5x6" 10 Year Life for Gun Cases and Closets and Safes
    4.0.png
    4 Customer Reviews
    ctdirt 25.00 bucks
    I think I would need about twenty of those in constant rotation to protect my guns in there. Plus, it wouldn't help with needing to take space from my wife. That is the bigger issue I think. I will stick to the two gun safes and one marriage I have now, instead of no safes and no marriage that stealing her closet space would probably bring about. Thanks though.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think I would need about twenty of those in constant rotation to protect my guns in there. Plus, it wouldn't help with needing to take space from my wife. That is the bigger issue I think. I will stick to the two gun safes and one marriage I have now, instead of no safes and no marriage that stealing her closet space would probably bring about. Thanks though.

So, in the event of a storm, at least her clothes will be safe.....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom