• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    Now that I have a little one and another on the way I figure it's time I get a safe.. What are y'all's opinions on brands or what should I look for as far as quality? I've got 7 long guns and some pistols but need room to grow... Looking for something that's got a good fire resistant rating but not wanting to break the bank... Thanks
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get the biggest one you can afford. It will still be too small.

Any of the local offerings at Academy/ Cabela's/ Tractor Supply are about the same. Find the one you want on sale and get it.

Until you spend big bucks it really doesn't matter. Just different names and paint. Good enough to get the job done.

Bolt it down as it will be portable.

Worth repeating. Bolt it down.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    And, they hold more than just guns.
    Remind your bride of this.

Whaaattt?!!!? Kidding of course (I think). Good advice above, buy the biggest one you've got room for. A big, quality safe is cheap insurance and worth it's weight in gold for peace of mind. BTW, bolt it down!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Little hint here - if someone stores tax records in it, it becomes tax deductible. One can do so for business AND personal tax records.

And safes have no defined service life - so if you are inclined to buy new one(s) from time to time - well.......

But - if at ALL possible go with one that's fire rated IF you're pretty settled in. If not, stay with the 5-700 lb range safes. Bolt down ALL FOUR corners AND one in the center. Use case-hardened bolts - the center one ruins the plans of the thieves that use saws-alls to cut the perimeter bolts off (yeah, they have done so).

If you were closer, I'd say to holler when you get it - I've got a thousand-pound lift gate on the truck.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Now that I have a little one and another on the way I figure it's time I get a safe.. What are y'all's opinions on brands or what should I look for as far as quality? I've got 7 long guns and some pistols but need room to grow... Looking for something that's got a good fire resistant rating but not wanting to break the bank... Thanks
    And, they hold more than just guns.
    Remind your bride of this.

NO! I don't care what Vac says. Don't go putting your kids in a gun safe!!

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I got a cannon safe ar Costco it's not bad. Payed $499.99 for it. Only down side. Doesn't come with a lot of shelving. But it work's for me and I can buy more from cannon as needed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I second buying as large a safe as you can reasonably afford. I bought an 18-gun and I regret it. Now I'm stuck deciding if I want another smallish one (24-gun or so) or sell the small one and buy a big one.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Rebel;1612737 said:
    I second buying as large a safe as you can reasonably afford. I bought an 18-gun and I regret it. Now I'm stuck deciding if I want another smallish one (24-gun or so) or sell the small one and buy a big one.

Debating those options myself.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And there's no way to fit as many guns in a safe as they claim.

ETA: That is not without just cramming them in without caring about them.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    TexasRedneck;1612743 said:
    Keep the small one, buy the big one. Trust me - you'll need it soon enough!
    Listen to this guy, I'm kicking out mags and ammo all the time trying to make space.

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    Buy the house next door, fortify the windows and doors and turn the whole house into a safe. Move there and visit the wife and kids. Then your safe and reloading room and garage may be big enough. 😀

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We're actually kicking around the idea of building another house. If we do, we'll convert one bedroom to a vault room - have double-layered firewall sheetrock installed, then line the walls with 1/4" steel plate, then fir that out. Either that, or have one of those modular concrete rooms put in place. I've got over $15k worth of safes around, and they're still not large enough.

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    I got a cannon safe ar Costco it's not bad. Payed $499.99 for it. Only down side. Doesn't come with a lot of shelving. But it work's for me and I can buy more from cannon as needed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I remember reading about & seeing pics of what happened inside a fireproof safe. The short version is the moisture content in the sheet rock panels that supposedly make it "fireproof"created high speed oxidation on the blued steel contents. Every inch of carbon steel was solid brown. FYI, I bought a Canon at Academy about 10 years ago. Has a dial combination but I usually just use the key & turn the dial till it stops which opens the door. I was showing my wife the procedure but she did it her way & ended up spinning the dial. Crap, haven't needed the combination in years. I call Canon & they couldn't have cared less, told me to find a local locksmith that could open safes. That aside I like the safe

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Depending on your budget, I would find a local safe dealer. I'm not knocking the safes from Academy, Costco, or Tractor Supply, but it's my understanding that they are not the same quality as safes made by the same manufactures but sold by safe dealers. You may also save money by installing your own lighting.

And....I'll be a parrot. Bolt it to the foundation!

Top Bottom