• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I remember reading about & seeing pics of what happened inside a fireproof safe. The short version is the moisture content in the sheet rock panels that supposedly make it "fireproof"created high speed oxidation on the blued steel contents.

Somebody was full of da brown stuff. I've got a fireproofed safe that's been holding guns for 14 years now. Funny - no rust. Another one that's been here for 8 years - same story. The one at the shop - same story. Now, you put 'em in there on a humid day without a goldenrod or some other dehumidification system....all bets are off.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    With a good oil like Rand CLP on the guns? Mine stays about 68% but had been much higher. But then I pull them down once every few months and wipe them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Depending on your budget, I would find a local safe dealer. I'm not knocking the safes from Academy......
    And....I'll be a parrot. Bolt it to the foundation!

Just to be redundant.
    Your safe should cost more than your most valuable gun.

Bolt it to the concrete foundation with the longest bits and lead anchors and highest quality bolts.
    Then drill some holes and secure it to the studs behind it.

NOTHING is foolproof because fools are clever and industrious.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    ................I was showing my wife the procedure but she did it her way & ended up spinning the dial. Crap, haven't needed the combination in years. I call Canon & they couldn't have cared less, told me to find a local locksmith that could open safes. That aside I like the safe

I bought my Cannon safe back in the 80's. The owner's manual told you where to find the serial number in case you lost your combination. If so, it said to give them a call and they would tell your combination.

I wonder if the company has changed hands in the past 30 years?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How does one get it to that point?
    I've tried several different methods.
    Golden Rods, desiccates, or even a good old fashioned light bulb burning in there will get the humidity down.

I have two Golden Rods in mine and the humidity level stays about right and they don't require maintenance.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Mine is in my office.
    I think I must need the larger size.
    I just never was sure what percentage was good.

My overflow guns are in my ammo closet with one of those bucket size disposable dessicators.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    How does one get it to that point?
    I've tried several different methods.

To decrease humidity, add and or recharge desiccant packs and or install Goldenrod.

To increase humidity, set a bowl of water in the safe and monitor daily. If working poorly or not at all, add bowls to other levels. Or, increase the humidity of the house with a humidifier.

You wonder, why increase the humidity? If it is constantly too low for extended periods the wooden stocks can crack on the rifles and as well as ivory grips.
    In my opinion, this would not concern me unless the humidity was in the 30 range or lower. 50% +/- is just considered ideal.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    My safe is in the garage right now because there was no good place in our small house for it. Descant didn't work for more than a day. I ended up getting a dehumidifier and keep the 2 car garage at 50% humidity. It also makes being in the garage a lot more comfortable. The washer and dryer are there and my reloading table is there too.

Top Bottom