• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    WASHINGTON (AFP) — Gun sales continue to increase sharply in the aftermath of Barack Obama's presidential election, a trend gun rights lobbies attribute to concerns over a potential new gun ban.
    "Sales of firearms, in particular handguns and semi-automatic hunting and target rifles, are fast outpacing inventory," National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) president and CEO Stephen Sanetti said in a statement.
    "It's clear that many people are concerned about possible gun bans under the incoming Congress and are reacting accordingly."
    Firearm purchaser background checks, an indicator of actual sales, in December 2008 were up 24 percent at 1.5 million from a year earlier (1.2 million), according to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
    November 2008 saw a 42 percent rise in NICS checks, the highest number of checks in the system's history. Federal law requires FBI background checks for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers.
    Some 12.7 million background checks were reported in 2008, a 14 percent increase from 2007. Individuals can also purchase arms without background checks at gun shows.
    NSSF said demand for firearms was so high that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) ran out of the forms required for any individual purchasing a firearm from a licensed retailer.
    A recent survey of hunters and target shooters by statistics group Southwick Associates found that 80 percent of respondents expected they would face more challenges in purchasing arms under the Obama administration and the new Congress, which has an increased Democratic majority.
    In December, Obama sought to reassure gun owners.
    "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear," Obama said at a press conference. I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," which grants individuals the right to bear arms, the scope of which has been the source of a long-running debate in the United States.
    The National Rifle Association, a powerful gun-rights lobby, said in November that "the Obama administration is anti-firearms ownership and anti-Second amendment."

AFP: Gun sales still up on eve of Obama administration
    Texas SOT

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    ..... and the media was fascinated at the fact a few people ran out and bought eye glasses so they could look like Sarah Palin. I have never before witnessed such "economic stimulation" by the mention of one person's name.

Well, maybe Batman action figures.

AnArmyofRon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Granbury
    A member of the Obama team stated "Most gun owners already have enough weapons to defend their home." This is not a direct quote but it is pretty close to the original. I will have to dig up the quote, but I did read it on the foxnews website. It is the "enough weapons" that worries me about the incoming administration.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    Obama and Company have armed our citizens even better. The gun,ammo and related companies starting receiving their stimilus package after the Iowa caucus and the ball is rolling full speed ahead. I know some non gun owning (not anti-gun) folks that have called to ask what kind of gun or guns they need to get before the election and now it's the inaugration. I read the "enough weapons" statement as well and yes, there is reason for concern. It will get even more interesting..........stay tuned.

Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Events like the 94 AWB, Y2K, 9-11, Katrina and now the Obama election have increased the gun owning populace of the US. This will make it more difficult for POTUS to push through a new AWB, ammo tax, ect. to pass. (this is assuming he even want's to take on this fight)

With the Heller Supreme Court decision, a total ban seems improbable.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I generally agree Kbear and hope we're correct....a total ban is very improbable but an ammo tax and high cap mag ban are likely. Remember the key words are "and company". Hopefully 'he' won't take on this fight.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Being the "progressive" Left and all, we can probably expect to see a more progressive erosion of our 2A rights as opposed to a more blatant attack. What is likely going to happen is that what is "lawful" and what is considered "common sense regulation" is going to be interpreted, reinterpreted, defined, and redefined constantly until what is "lawful" makes a majority of us into criminals, what is "common sense" leads to gun ownership being an almost insurmountable burden through applications, registration, limitation, etc etc. One thing to notice is how these @ssholes constantly keep repeating that they believe in our 2A rights, but that they only want to enact "common sense regulation". They constantly keep saying that what they want to do is actually common sense and lawful, when it is clearly not. I think the idea is to repeat this so many times that everyone gets inundated with it to the point where most people actually believe it's true. You know what they say about lies, and if you repeat them enough. ;)

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    Being the "progressive" Left and all, we can probably expect to see a more progressive erosion of our 2A rights as opposed to a more blatant attack. What is likely going to happen is that what is "lawful" and what is considered "common sense regulation" is going to be interpreted, reinterpreted, defined, and redefined constantly until what is "lawful" makes a majority of us into criminals, what is "common sense" leads to gun ownership being an almost insurmountable burden through applications, registration, limitation, etc etc. One thing to notice is how these @ssholes constantly keep repeating that they believe in our 2A rights, but that they only want to enact "common sense regulation". They constantly keep saying that what they want to do is actually common sense and lawful, when it is clearly not. I think the idea is to repeat this so many times that everyone gets inundated with it to the point where most people actually believe it's true. You know what they say about lies, and if you repeat them enough. ;)

Exactly!! The problem is, people are actually dumb enough to listen to what Obama and his cabinet were saying during the election and now and not looking at what they have done and said in the past when they were not under the nations eye.

There absolutely will not be an outright gun ban, that would never fly right now. They will just take little bites out of the 2A until it doesn't exist anymore if people don't wise up.

I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of anti-gun people. They completely ignore the obvious facts that strict gun control ALWAYS results in higher violent crime and murder.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I went to 2 Walmarts today for some ammo, both were basically sold out on 90% of what they normally carry. Both are selling it as fast as it comes in and begging of more to sell.

Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    In Sept 94 the Dems and a few Reps voted in the first AWB. In Nov 94 congressional Dems got slaughtered at the polls and ushered in the Republican Revolution of 94. That’s when Newt G. made his famous contract with America. Bill Clinton himself said the AWB cost Dems the 94 elections. In 2004 congress allowed the bill to sunset, because they knew what it would cost them.

Your East and West coast Dems are sure to draft and support some restrictive bill. POTUS might even throw some support behind it. It will be tough to get southern and mid-west Dems behind a bill with an election 2 years away.

jvanwink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    I bought the last three boxes of .45 cal. at my Wally World Friday. I asked the clerk when they would be getting more. She looked at an email posted on the ammo cabinet and it basically said Walmart Headquarters is trying to get more but it is really hard to get because of the run on ammo nationwide.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm going to buck the trend here and predict that any push for additional firearms legislation from the Obama administration is highly unlikely. The incoming administration has numerous other policy priorities. Given that firearms were pretty much a non-issue during the campaign, I expect they'll expend their finite political capital on things they promised during the election.

Back-benchers like Caroline McCarthy will probably continue to propose new AWB's year after year and they will continue to rot in committee year after year.

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    I agree to an extent. Barring a catastrophic economy crash, I think it will be a 1-2 years before they will get around to guns. There are just too many other serious issues that they cannot turn their back on. The good, and bad, news for us is if they wait 2 years to do anything they may not for fear of losing the re-election. Bad side is if they do get re-elected they can push what ever they want with no cares in the world as to what people may think. The wonderful catch-22 of limited term. A presidents 2nd term is where he does what he wants and what the people who paid for his campaign wants, not what is best for the country.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I agree to an extent. Barring a catastrophic economy crash, I think it will be a 1-2 years before they will get around to guns. There are just too many other serious issues that they cannot turn their back on. The good, and bad, news for us is if they wait 2 years to do anything they may not for fear of losing the re-election. Bad side is if they do get re-elected they can push what ever they want with no cares in the world as to what people may think. The wonderful catch-22 of limited term. A presidents 2nd term is where he does what he wants and what the people who paid for his campaign wants, not what is best for the country.

This argument makes a lot sense to me. The logical extension of it is that we need to make a radical (ie, conservative) shift in the composition of Congress in the 2010 elections - you know, the old "checks and balances" idea.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I'm going to buck the trend here and predict that any push for additional firearms legislation from the Obama administration is highly unlikely. The incoming administration has numerous other policy priorities. Given that firearms were pretty much a non-issue during the campaign, I expect they'll expend their finite political capital on things they promised during the election.

Back-benchers like Caroline McCarthy will probably continue to propose new AWB's year after year and they will continue to rot in committee year after year.

I hope you are right, but I will keep pressuring my politcos and supporting pro 2nd amendment orgs.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I hope you are right, but i will keep pressuring my politcos and supportin pro 2nd amendment orgs.

That's the way to act. Buying up stuff right now at double last year's prices doesn't help. Watching what local/state/federal government is up to and making legislators aware of your stance via articulate, sane handwritten letters (ie avoid mention of "blue helmets" etc) is about the best you can do for the cause.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    "Individuals can also purchase arms without background checks at gun shows."

Wow, talk about misleading...

That stuck in my mind also.

I think we will see a major anti 2A move very soon. With everything else that is going on, they may try to slip it under the radar. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the first things done.

I hope I am wrong.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I was at the Pasadean Carter's Co, yesterday picking up some ammo. Saw a guy buying 2 AR's. Talked to the manager and they can not keep hicap mags or firearms that take them in stock.

Top Bottom