• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d3rrickh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I have a question regarding selling an unused AR15. Before I moved to Austin, TX from California, I was given a beautiful AR15. I was given the AR15 before they made some ridiculous law stating that I had to register it before a certain date. Well, I knew I was moving to Austin so I said screw it and kept it in my brother-in-law's name.

Anyways, it's obviously here with me in Austin and I am looking to sell it, along with its attachments. My question is; can I sell it legally to someone or a gun store without it blowing back on my brother-in-law? Or does it matter since I live in the state of Texas? Let's say I sell it to someone, or I sell it to a store and a bad apple buys it from them and they use it for bad things, will myself or my brother-in-law receive any blowback? This may be the dumbest question ever asked on this forum but better safe than sorry!

Cheers!
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    In Texas, it's like every other gun. As long as that basturd wasn't entered into the NCIC or TCIC. National crime information computer, Texas crime information computer. (Theft)

Its a chunk of metal. Like every other gun at the Pawn. Unknown amount of owners. It's nothing but a used gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I always liked guns with a past. Most collectable stuff has a past. It either shot someone or was at least pointed at them.

Check out the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. It's full of stuff with a history.

Since you or your brother in law are not famous. It's market value.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Tread lightly. Sounds like there may have been a California law broken because you didn't do a private party transfer and fill out a DROS through a California dealer. I'd keep the gun, don't say anything more about it and ask to have your post deleted.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    422821c33a945ad8b7bce872c32ed04c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Since you had possession of it and it reads like you skirted a CA law buy a new lower (can be found for cheap now), move all the parts over, and destroy the original lower. Or just sell the parts except the lower.

Unless you can prove you moved out of CA before the law passed and received it from the original buyer before that date it could come back to haunt one of you if it ends up in the system again. That is a long shot but possible.

Honestly it just isn't worth the risk (though very low) when a new lower can be had for $40.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I have a question regarding selling an unused AR15. Before I moved to Austin, TX from California, I was given a beautiful AR15. I was given the AR15 before they made some ridiculous law stating that I had to register it before a certain date. Well, I knew I was moving to Austin so I said screw it and kept it in my brother-in-law's name.

Anyways, it's obviously here with me in Austin and I am looking to sell it, along with its attachments. My question is; can I sell it legally to someone or a gun store without it blowing back on my brother-in-law? Or does it matter since I live in the state of Texas? Let's say I sell it to someone, or I sell it to a store and a bad apple buys it from them and they use it for bad things, will myself or my brother-in-law receive any blowback? This may be the dumbest question ever asked on this forum but better safe than sorry!

Cheers!
    I'm not a lawyer, but you and the rifle are out of California's jurisdiction if you live in Austin. I don't believe you will have any problems with the ATF as they don't enforce state laws, just the Federal laws. Sell it, and don't worry about it. Or just keep it and don't worry about it. Or have it transferred to the new owner though an FFL. Just don't ever take it back to California.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Unless you can prove you moved out of CA before the law passed and received it from the original buyer before that date it could come back to haunt one of you if it ends up in the system again. That is a long shot but possible.

That part doesn't even matter. Nearly all private transfers in CA need to go through a dealer, where a NICS check is done, a California DoJ check is done and then a 10-day wait. Transfers between in-laws aren't exempt from this process.

A serial number trace will go right back to the BIL.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That part doesn't even matter. Nearly all private transfers in CA need to go through a dealer, where a NICS check is done, a California DoJ check is done and then a 10-day wait. Transfers between in-laws aren't exempt from this process.

A serial number trace will go right back to the BIL.

I was just wondering about this earlier.
    I didn't know the "how to's" about California transfer process.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    ...Transfers between in-laws aren't exempt from this process.

Haven't familiarized myself yet with that aspect of the law, but immedite family direct transfers/gifts are still allowed in CA, correct?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say it was 'actually' a gift from his sister, who simply instructed her husband to do the work and get it to him? I mean, it was mostly hers anyway, being married in CA and all. ;)

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Haven't familiarized myself yet with that aspect of the law, but immedite family direct transfers/gifts are still allowed in CA, correct?

Yes but there's still a lot of minutiae you need to ensure is in order. I like Dawico's solution the best. California is ruthless when it comes to prosecuting otherwise law abiding gun owners.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Years of living in Kali has mushed your brain.

Your gun is no special snowflake, it is just another gun in Texas. Shoot it, sell it, whatever like any other gun. Its Kali history is irrelevant.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Years of living in Kali has mushed your brain.

Your gun is no special snowflake, it is just another gun in Texas. Shoot it, sell it, whatever like any other gun. Its Kali history is irrelevant.
    That is what I was trying to say

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom