• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The only way they could backtrack is from the SN. If you sell it FTF with no paperwork whatsoever the trail would end with whoever you sold it to, he doesn't know who he bought it from. If Kommifornicate came calling on your brother he could tell them it's in the closet/safe last time I saw it, want to see it? SURPRISE, SURPRISE it's not there, I don't know what happened.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The only way they could backtrack is from the SN. If you sell it FTF with no paperwork whatsoever the trail would end with whoever you sold it to, he doesn't know who he bought it from. If Kommifornicate came calling on your brother he could tell them it's in the closet/safe last time I saw it, want to see it? SURPRISE, SURPRISE it's not there, I don't know what happened.

That could cost him $100 + undue attention.

a) Commencing July 1, 2017, every person shall report the loss or theft of a firearm he or she owns or possesses to a local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which the theft or loss occurred within five days of the time he or she knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm had been stolen or lost.

(b) Every person who has reported a firearm lost or stolen under subdivision (a) shall notify the local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which the theft or loss occurred within five days if the firearm is subsequently recovered by the person.

Reasonably
    to LE might not be the same as his BIL's.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The only way they could backtrack is from the SN.

They'll trace it directly to the BIL who will then have to explain why he hasn't registered his California defined assault weapon or could he explain where it went and why he didn't report it lost or stolen.

Of course I'm highlighting the worst case scenario. But the OP asked.

To reiterate from a previous post, California is ruthless when it comes to prosecuting otherwise law abiding gun owners.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Who's to say that he didn't sell it a week after he bought it?
    I'm posing this possibility thinking that time frame was before the required registration.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Who's to say that he didn't sell it a week after he bought it?
    I'm posing this possibility thinking that time frame was before the required registration.

Remember, there are almost no private party transactions in CA that don't involve a dealer.

I'm not looking to get anyone jammed up here. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of pitfalls to be concerned with. I don't even know what the probability is of this being an issue.

Dawico's advice is the best. Or strip everything off of the upper and sell it as a parts kit. Either way, it's not something I would personally take a chance on.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I'd think about getting a $30 Anderson stripped lower & melt the original lower into a paper weight. Don't try using a striped lower.
    Striped lower.jpg

LoneStarTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I have a question regarding selling an unused AR15. Before I moved to Austin, TX from California, I was given a beautiful AR15. I was given the AR15 before they made some ridiculous law stating that I had to register it before a certain date. Well, I knew I was moving to Austin so I said screw it and kept it in my brother-in-law's name.

Anyways, it's obviously here with me in Austin and I am looking to sell it, along with its attachments. My question is; can I sell it legally to someone or a gun store without it blowing back on my brother-in-law? Or does it matter since I live in the state of Texas? Let's say I sell it to someone, or I sell it to a store and a bad apple buys it from them and they use it for bad things, will myself or my brother-in-law receive any blowback? This may be the dumbest question ever asked on this forum but better safe than sorry!

Cheers!
    Texas has no registration. Sell it with no paper and it can't be traced to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    So, to the OP. Did the black helicopters ever show up, you know the ones registered in Cali.?
    Was your brother in law jailed? Maybe he is in a re-education camp learning that mere humans can never hope to master a assault weapon. Has your AR found a new home where it can kill children on its own in Texas? We have all been wondering.

Top Bottom