• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I stop in there about once or twice a week. Usually buy something about every 4th visit or so. There prices are about what the market will bear, so no real bargains, but they aren't really gouging either. They usually have some of most the regular the popular calibres in as well as the exotic stuff. They carry a good selection of hunting bullets, powders (which they have several pounds of a bunch of types). I can usually score some primers in there as well if I need some ASAP, although once again they are sort of a market will bear type pricing. Don't be expecting to get really good deals. Also, the marked prices are for cash and debit cards, credit cards are 5% more. They carry RCBS reloading press parts as well as some other manudfacutures. They carry several brands of dies, and have a decent selection of reloading stuff on hand for a shop their size and in this hiysteria packed time we are in. They do some gunsmithing as well.

On the gun inventory, they have a few pistols, bunch of shotguns, a few assault rifles and other california unfriendly weapons. They do layaways and they will also order for you as well if you want something special.

I've talked to the owner and a bunch of the regulars, standard gunshop type of guys. There is another older guy that works in their that is a little rough around the edges and seems brusk at first, but once you start talking with him he's okay. There is a third guy I've seen working in there the last three weeks or so, seems to mostly be doing inventory, pricing, and organizing stuff.

In general I would say they are you average local gunshop. Okay prices, decent service, lots of advice, and not a box store.

malladus

PS - hope you like dogs, they got a big choclate lab that belongs to the owner that hangs out on the floor in front of the counters when he is in. Makes the crowded space a bit hard to steer through at times.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Also, the marked prices are for cash and debit cards, credit cards are 5% more.

You might mention this to them next time you use a credit card in their store, since it's illegal for them to add a surcharge:

§339.001. IMPOSITION OF SURCHARGE FOR USE OF CREDIT CARD. (a) In a sale of goods or services, a seller may not impose a surcharge on a buyer who uses a credit card for an extension of credit instead of cash, a check, or a similar means of payment.

(b) This section does not apply to a state agency, county, local governmental entity, or other governmental entity that accepts a credit card for the payment of fees, taxes, or other charges. (c) The Finance Commission of Texas shall have exclusive jurisdiction to enforce and adopt rules relating to this section. Rules adopted pursuant to this section shall be consistent with federal laws and regulations governing credit card transactions described by this section. This section does not create a cause of action against an individual for violation of this section.

From the Texas Finance Code, Chapter 339: http://www.occc.state.tx.us/pages/Legal/Laws/fcode/2005/ch339.html

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You might mention this to them next time you use a credit card in their store, since it's illegal for them to add a surcharge:

§339.001. IMPOSITION OF SURCHARGE FOR USE OF CREDIT CARD. (a) In a sale of goods or services, a seller may not impose a surcharge on a buyer who uses a credit card for an extension of credit instead of cash, a check, or a similar means of payment.

(b) This section does not apply to a state agency, county, local governmental entity, or other governmental entity that accepts a credit card for the payment of fees, taxes, or other charges. (c) The Finance Commission of Texas shall have exclusive jurisdiction to enforce and adopt rules relating to this section. Rules adopted pursuant to this section shall be consistent with federal laws and regulations governing credit card transactions described by this section. This section does not create a cause of action against an individual for violation of this section.

From the Texas Finance Code, Chapter 339: Chapter 339.Miscellaneous Provisions Relating to Interest

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

I wonder if offering a discount for payment other than credit card gets you around it? Guess I'd need to read the whole thing.

EDIT. Last line " This section does not create a cause of action against an individual for violation of this section.". Kinda takes the teeth out of it. Unless there's something else somewhere.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Interesting, but not my place to tell him how to run his business since I'm not sure if he is doing it as a surcharge or as a discount (perfectly legal).

malladus

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

I wonder if offering a discount for payment other than credit card gets you around it? Guess I'd need to read the whole thing.

EDIT. Last line " This section does not create a cause of action against an individual for violation of this section.". Kinda takes the teeth out of it. Unless there's something else somewhere.

I think if there are a lot of complaints, they could loose their merchants account. But in today's business environment that is not a big issue. We get calls just about weekly from credit card companies wanting us to switch to them.

They all do that one price for cash, another or credit card at the gun shows. One guy there told me it was because not being at their store credit card terminal, and the sale was considered "off line" and they got charged more. Well okay. Maybe the difference between 2.5% and 3%. To me that's no reason to pass on all of the charges to the customer. I understand costs associated with running a business, but accepting credit cards makes it easy to insure you get paid (no bad checks to chase down) and people tend to spend more and worry less about pricing when they use credit cards.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Last line " This section does not create a cause of action against an individual for violation of this section.". Kinda takes the teeth out of it. Unless there's something else somewhere.

Didn't mean to hijack the post with the credit card surcharge thing. I did check and "individual" is just that, but a business is not an individual according to their regulations, so they can take action against a business that refuses to not charge the surcharge. Non-compliance is referred to the AG's office.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    A merchant can have different prices for cash or credit and advertise them. They can have a cash discount. They cannot directly pass the credit card processing fee on to the customer - they are expected to price their wares to cover that fee. I believe the intent of the law is "truth in advertising" on the sticker price.

Credit card merchants have similar policies. Their customers are card holders, so they discourage any practice that makes card purchases more expensive or otherwise less attractive. Of course, they can't do anything about "cash price" vs "credit price" because the two have legitimate differences in overall transaction cost because of their processing fees.

QBToo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Dallas, TX (North Carrollton)
    I don't know if SPS has the same owner but MANY YEARS years ago when I was a newbie to handguns I purchased 2 Springfields semi-autos from SPS (a 45ACP longslide and a 9mm). Had the owner put an ambi safety on the longslide. Picked it up and took it home and was working the ambi and the darn thing fell off. Took it back to him and he finally fixed it after telling me for WEEKS to "come by, I'll have it ready in a day or two". Finally got the longslide and took both new guns to the range. Went to shoot the longslide and could barely pull the trigger. And the 9mm SA wouldn't feed most of the ammo (ammo wouldn't go into the chamber, even by hand). I was really dumbfounded. Took both guns back to the dealer and he checked them out. Told me the SA Longslide had a trigger pull off of his scale (10+ lbs or something like that) and that the 9mm had a mis-sized chamber. He then told me I'd have to work directly with SA and that he just had never seen anything like it! He then just walked away to talk to another customer and wouldn't assist me in any way.....wouldn't even call SA and help set up the shipment back to them.

Needless to say I do not recommend this shop. If you want to go by and BS all day with the guy he can talk your ears off but he does not stand behind what he sells......not with me he didn't.

Yes, I know that the warranty is with the manufacturer but BOTH guns being defective and the dealer not even assisting in the return of them? It wasn't like he sold them super cheap or anything. His attitude was just one of not giving a @#$@ about the customer. He doesn't have to but I also don't have to shop at his store....and I don't.

Yes, I know I should have thoroughly checked both guns out. I know how to do that now and am indeed VERY PICKY but back then I didn't know what to check or how. The mis-sized chamber wouldn't have been impossible to determine I guess but certainly not the defective trigger pull on the longslide.

Promising that a service will be done by a certain date and then when the customer comes by telling them it just wasn't finished.........and doing that 4-5 times........is just inexcusable.

Maybe things have changed but I'll never set foot in that store again. I'm much wiser now and predominantly use 2 local dealers for my "many" purchases, all at considerably less than what SPS charges. I also have several internet dealers that I have found to be stand up businesses.

For those of you who have had good dealing with SPS, that's great. But in my opinion, buyer beware.

stewdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Same story here, took 3 months to repair a sear spring. Told me to come by it would be ready. I later found out that it sat on his shelf for 2 months without looking at the weapon. And I was there once a week. Prices for pistols are steep also.

Top Bottom