• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you were starting your own gun shop what would you realistically have? Types of Guns;long rifles, handgund Used new, types of Accessories, Clothing?, Ammunition.
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It depends on your market needs and what it can carry.

Honestly, I can find any gun at almost any time. The big thing I like to see is reloading componants and equipment on the shelf. I spend more money there than anywhere else. But that is just me.

I think the hardest thing to find is a good gunsmith. I think I see more threads started about that than anything else. If you could get the word out about your shop doing everything from mounting scopes/ sights to trueing up actions and threading/ replacing barrels you would stay plenty busy.

Big Jim P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    CenTex
    I never thought about starting a gun shop. I have recently thought about getting an FFL (assuming they are still available), and using it strictly to facilitate legal gun transfers. I need to look into the legalities of doing so however.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    It would be a risky endeavor -- one whose risk far outweighs the benefits.

You would be required to keep a record of the sale for 10 years, safe against theft, accidental loss, or destruction by fire. If the government comes in and does an audit, you'll have to have each and every transfer copy they ask for on-hand, and several they don't. If you lose one, kiss yours goodbye. Police will come to check with you constantly about providence on a gun (see who it was sold to, when, and how), and if you goofed around and sold to someone posing as someone else or someone who probably shouldn't have had the gun, you are now criminally liable. If they go off to use the gun for nefarious purposes, expect to have your place of business demonized on every major news agency this side of the Guadalupe for any given reason. People will come in and give you every reason under the sun why you should just go ahead and okay them for a sale, even if the paperwork doesn't pass. Some will get angry with or verbally hostile towards you for being turned down for _____ reason. You may later be blackballed by these same guys for no reason on websites or in social circles, whether the fault is with you or not. You will have to put up with all of this for $20-25 per transfer, to stay competitive with the big guys that do it all the time as a side-service.

In response to the OP, I think it will be a challenge to start off a good gun selection now-a-days; IIRC, G.E. was a huge lender toward starting-up gun stores, and officially dropped the hammer on any future loans toward gun-based businesses as of 1 month post-Sandy Hook shooting. However, my preference is old military surplus rifles, which can be had cheaply. That said, if you live in an urban area like San Antonio, your market would be geared more towards AR and pistol buyers, with home defense shotguns and some hunting rifles for the weekend hog warriors.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I would have a section for bolt on upgrades for popular platforms like AR, 10/22 and 1911 and Glocks

there are so many great upgrades like drop in barrels, triggers and springs.

I would also NOT stock holsters. There are way too many of them to keep in stock what someone wants. You can end up being buried in $3000 worth of holsters and still not have what someone is looking for

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I never thought about starting a gun shop. I have recently thought about getting an FFL (assuming they are still available), and using it strictly to facilitate legal gun transfers. I need to look into the legalities of doing so however.

Those can generally be done without an FFL and still be legal here.

Top Bottom