• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Red's charges $531 for Glocks, Academys charges $525 or something near that, McBrides about $540, Cabelas about $580, etc.

Compare that to $499 at Bud's online, $499 on Gunbroker, etc. where you are paying on average $15, or more generally, in a transfer, and another $25 in shipping. Grand total is $549.

Through Red's that same gun, due to tax, is $574. The only real "savings" is because the majority of the sales are out of state and don't have to cover a 8.25% sales tax.

Is Red making more money? Sure. Is he gouging people? Not unless you think a $25 difference, and not having to wait 2 - 3 days, is "gouging".

About the only retailer out there that is really "gouging" in my opinion is Cabelas. Joe and Red offer convenience, Red more so... you can buy a gun and shoot it in less than an hour.

The vast majority of people out there don't want to wait, don't want to deal with internet sales, transfers, etc. and have a multitude of questions about what they want, or need, in a handgun.

That's why we are sold out of 9mm Glocks on nearly a weekly basis.

I order the vast majority of my computer parts online, but I don't rile on Fry's for having the same stuff for $20 more. Fry's offers something that Newegg doesn't... walk in, walk out.
    Guns International

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Bud's will sell me a 2nd gen Glock 17 police trade-in for $389 shipped. I get my transfers for $10, so if I were the sort who wanted a Glock 17 I could get it for a flat $400. Why would I give Red $575 of my money when I only have to give $400 for essentially the same pistol in terms of functionality? I don't wear a mason's ring, so I don't think I'd be eligible for any "special" discounts from Red Hyman.

All I have to do to save money and find what I need is a little research on the internet. I don't need any advice from someone behind the counter at a gun store who has a definite conflict of interest when it comes to recommending something for me to buy. I figure most people end up buying at a local gun store because they're ignorant of the market and the law and don't know they have other cheaper options. If what you say is true, then its mostly the case that people are too LAZY and IMPATIENT to do their homework and look for the best price. Thats pretty damn sad, if you ask me.

I work a salaried job for someone else, my time outside of work is worthless marketwise. I have no problem waiting a few days for what I spend my hard on money on if it means I can avoid paying predatory retail markup or having pointless sales taxes levied on me. "Walk in, walk out" has no value to me unless I absolutely need it, and something tells me that for most people absolute need is rare when it comes to anything other than the bare necessities.

I do most of my computer parts shopping at places like newegg and tiger direct unless Fry's has a special sale on that every one in awhile will beat the online guys total price, even with sales tax. Thats very rare, though.

Price trumps service and convenience, every time.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Bud's will sell me a 2nd gen Glock 17 police trade-in for $389 shipped. I get my transfers for $10, so if I were the sort who wanted a Glock 17 I could get it for a flat $400. Why would I give Red $575 of my money when I only have to give $400 for essentially the same pistol in terms of functionality? I don't wear a mason's ring, so I don't think I'd be eligible for any "special" discounts from Red Hyman.

You compare a used 2nd generation Glock to a new 3rd generation and somehow that is an equal comparison? Then you derive that Red is "overcharging" for it?

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    You compare a used 2nd generation Glock to a new 3rd generation and somehow that is an equal comparison? Then you derive that Red is "overcharging" for it?

Uh, no. I'm demonstrating that Red doesn't sell anything I want at the best possible price. If I want a Glock 9mm, I can easily get it cheaper than Red can get it for me elsewhere. The fact that he doesn't stock many used guns at prices better than I can get on the net isn't my problem. If he wants my business, he'll carry more used guns (at better prices than he sells his used stock now that will make total pricing comparable with net sources AFTER sales tax). Same goes for Joe Mcbride or Dick Doak. However, I sincerely doubt they will.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Uh, no. I'm demonstrating that Red doesn't sell anything I want at the best possible price. If I want a Glock 9mm, I can easily get it cheaper than Red can get it for me elsewhere. The fact that he doesn't stock many used guns at prices better than I can get on the net isn't my problem. If he wants my business, he'll carry more used guns (at better prices than he sells his used stock now that will make total pricing comparable with net sources AFTER sales tax). Same goes for Joe Mcbride or Dick Doak. However, I sincerely doubt they will.

That makes more sense.

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Ask John Hansen why he stopped doing transfers. He stopped doing transfers before he stopped doing gunsmithing at the house, it was because "the city" had contacted him about retail activity in residential zoning. I know because I used to use him for transfers. You can also ask Hank Fleming about his experience with "the city". The City of Austin has been working to shut down anyone doing transfers from their homes for quite a while, but I'm sure you know something about that we all don't know, too.

Perdurabo, I think we all get that you have plenty of time on your hands and that you don't care about anything but price. We are all stupid and you are a genius. It's "damn sad" that we won't all spend hours online looking to save a few bucks on our next used Glock instead of supporting local businessmen who work tirelessly to keep your right to own and carry that same Glock legal. Got it. And it's all because we are "lazy and impatient", not because we may value our time outside of work more than you. By the way, I have seen used Glocks at McBride's for under $400, too, but you have to be there when he buys out some P.D. and has several sitting around.

By the way, I don't wear a Mason's ring either, but Red has always been square with me, although I find his prices a little high sometimes, too. But the difference is when I think his prices are high I just don't buy from him that day. His higher prices are probably his way of instituting the power of the Illuminati over saps like us. Man, those new world order guys are sneaky. Anyone else you want to run down from your anonymous position? It's obvious you don't care much for anyone but your online retailers. OK, fine, but you don't need to make disparaging remarks about guys who are running legitimate businesses in a legitimate fashion just because they don't run them according to the "perdurabo school of business". Perhaps you would consider them more noble if they worked for "the man" like some quasi governmental agency or some such thing? Quick question, is posting during working hours O.K. with your employer?

By the way, the shops you are running down are actually doing alright without your business at the moment. And I'm pretty sure, in spite of what you might think, they don't spend a lot of time plotting about how to screw you out of your money. These guys aren't the reason that ammo prices have gone through the roof, they are just making it avaiable at a some reasonabe markup over the exhorbitant price they are having to pay for it. Same for AR's, the distributors are raising their prices and they are just passing along what they are paying. Red's had a Bushmaster Izzy carbine on the rack a month ago for $1,002.85, they were going for more like $1,200, or more, on line if you could find one. I asked about and they said "we just mark it up the same over what we pay for it and we got this one at the old price", must be some kind of stealth price gouging. I couldn't figure it out.

Joe McBride, Red Hyman, Karen Ziegler, Tom Snell, Dick Doak, etc. are just regular hard working folks who are doing what they can to make a living, occasionally plowing some money back into their local community and supporting organizations that fight for gun rights. If it would be so easy for them to do better I'm surprised a smart guy like you hasn't knocked them off yet. I'll be looking for Perdurabo's Gun Shop with the lowest prices on the internet sometime soon. I'll save up some money so I can be your first customer.

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    I like John's Guns in Bastrop. I pay less on tax there than Austin and he always has new stuff for sale any time I'm there. He has a lot of SKS stuff too. Being that I only own a Ruger SR9 and a Norinco SKS...it's good. He's close by too.

Truly a Mom n Pop store.

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Well, its been almost two years since this thread has seen any action. Has anyone found any local gun stores in the Austin area that have prices that don't suck? I sure haven't. I was in McBride's just last week and it was Gouge City.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I also shop online for guns..My last couple of purchases have been online..I have an excellent FFL guy, and everything has been smooth...That said, I bought my wife a Kahr 9mm from McBride's a couple of months ago..I checked all of my online sources, and McBride's had the better price.. All things being equal I would have saved $12 by ordering online, of course I would have waited 3 or 4 more days, as well as made a trip to my FFL... Just wasn't worth saving $12 over.. Not to mention I was able to have her handle several different guns to see which one fit her hand the best.. Oh, and the sales guy was great, he didn't try to push us on anything in particular, of course I wouldn't have let him if he did.. He also remembers me every time I come in and I have only bought one gun there in 2 years.. I have nothing bad to say about McBrides..

My experience at Red's on the other hand is the opposite...I won't bust on them here, but they really need to learn the meaning of customer service on the front end... They could be selling way more if they knew how to treat people...And yes, I have been in on more than one occasion to see if someone was just having a bad day..that I could understand and deal with...crappy customer service I can not! (Red's in P'ville)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, its been almost two years since this thread has seen any action. Has anyone found any local gun stores in the Austin area that have prices that don't suck? I sure haven't. I was in McBride's just last week and it was Gouge City.
    Austin Gun Liquidators is pretty competitive on prices. They are friendly and helpful, too.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I have nothing bad to say about McBrides..

My experience at Red's on the other hand is the opposite...I won't bust on them here, but they really need to learn the meaning of customer service on the front end... They could be selling way more if they knew how to treat people...And yes, I have been in on more than one occasion to see if someone was just having a bad day..that I could understand and deal with...crappy customer service I can not! (Red's in P'ville)

Interesting...I've been here 2 1/2 years and haven't been to McBrides(based on reviews I've read AND finding adequate selections at other Austin shops). I reckon I'll drop by eventually. I bought my first 'Texas' gun at Red's North and was pleased with the service I received. Seems that the sales folks have their own favorites among brands and have some of the 'gun shop attitude' regarding firepower, etc. I would expect no different based on my experience at other shops. Academy on 183 near Duval has a couple of fellows who really know their stuff. I've purchased 3 pistols from them, 2 from Red's and an additional purchase from The Gun Store in Cedar Park. 'Almost' bought the LCP package from Cabela's but went for the much lower priced TCP from Academy. Academy doesn't have some of the boutique brands/models but likely has the most frequent 'deals' on popular firearms(IMO). The LCP 'package' at Cabela's is just one example of the SMU-type deals that a large retailer can offer. An independent isn't likely to get such a package...doesn't usually lower the gun price, but includes accessories at no charge or reduced cost.

I've purchased ammo online but would prefer to put a weapon in my hands before handing over the cash...just my three cents.

Don't want to leave out GT...I'm not LE or military but that place is pretty cool. Good place to get your knife 'fix'.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local shop. Rude service is intolerable though, which is why I'll never go back to McBride's. Red's South has pretty good prices on most of their stuff and the staff are nice.

Cabela's has the best selection. I make a purchase once a year during coupon time to justify all the "browsing".

I despise Academy. Trigger locks and children behind the counter= no thanks.

The Gun store up in Cedar park is a great small shop, and Class III.

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    I still have good luck at McBride's fairly often, but the deals are always on used guns for me. I don't buy much new. McBride's gets more interesting stuff through the door than anyone else in town, but you never know what they will have so it's feast and famine. The prices seem to depend on what mood Joe was in when the item was purchased, but there are enough good deals to warrant an occasional visit.

Heritage Firearms just moved into a different space in the same center they were in before, it seems to suit them a little better. They have a pretty cool collection of Lugers and some Broomhandle Mausers right now (or at least they did a few days ago) their prices are reasonable, again I am primarily referring to the used guns. They do a lot of selling on Gunbroker.com, so some of the guns behind the counter may not be for sale in the store.

Red's doesn't get much in the way of used guns, probably because Red doesn't pay as much for used guns as some other stores in town. I have found a deal or two at Red's but nothing lately. I generally like the guys who work there, but some of them tend to have a pretty hard-ass attitude, but I think that comes from working at a range, having to deal with some of the idiots who shoot there would tend to increase one's blood pressure.

Sportsman's Finest is a fun place to look, especially if you like Class III. They also have a pretty good selection of used guns that come in, but I haven't seen many that were well priced. Again, you have to look at a lot of guns to find a few good deals, I've found a couple at SF over the years.

Cutting Edge up in Round Rock gets some nice used weapons in as well, and they have tempted me on price more than once. It's a small shop, so it doesn't take long to see what he's got in there, but every now and then there is something worth taking home.

Cabela's has a lot to look at, but their prices have never been any good on weapons for me. They had Bushmaster AR M4A3's on 'clearance' for $1,049, so they were only about $150-200 over market on them, and that is supposedly their 'clearance' price. The other used guns I looked at were all 20+% over what I thought they would be priced at other local stores. The only time I have felt like they had a deal on something was occasionally on closeout ammunition, but it's not worth the drive for me.

I guess for me being in any gun store is better than not being in a gun store, so I may be more forgiving than most. I have had experience with almost all of the sales guys at the stores around town and I don't know that I would say that any store had the market cornered on crusty guys, they seem to show up at all of them. I just try to stay away from the cranky ones and sometimes the next time I'm in the store the cranky ones aren't cranky.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I have been to and would recommend Austin Gun Liquidators, GT Distributors and The Gun Store in Cedar Park.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Gun Liquidators is one of my favorite..Scott is very knowledgable, and an all around nice guy to chat with. Plus, they carry STI.. Muhahahahaha....

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    I have been in Gun Liquidators and the Gun Store in Cedar Park as well. They are both nice places, Gun Liquidators has a LOT more in stock than the Gun Store, but both shops have really nice personnel, at least the ones I have dealt with. I just don't go that far north very often, otherwise I would probably be cruising both of them regularly. I probably need to try Gun Liquidators again, but it's location is off the beaten path and they are closed Mondays, which caught me off guard once before. GT has some great deals on used handguns every now and then, but I don't qualify to buy much of their new stuff. They have the best selection of accessories/cases/tactical gear in town, which you would expect from a Police supply store, and most of that is available to anyone who walks in off of the street.

Top Bottom