• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    November 16th and 17th.

6331 Alabama Street El Paso, Texas 79904. Phone: (915) 562-1444 Fax: (915) ... 1999 - 2005 El Maida Shrine Auditorium. Saturday- 9-5 Sunday- 10-4

$5.00 admission

We will be out there selling "stuff".
    Capitol Armory ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Nice of you to post, but I happen to be about 500 miles away, and have shunned gun shows for about ten months now.

Until gun show vendors beat Academy and Walmart prices, I'll stay at home or go fishing.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Nice of you to post, but I happen to be about 500 miles away, and have shunned gun shows for about ten months now.

Until gun show vendors beat Academy and Walmart prices, I'll stay at home or go fishing.

Then you will probably never set foot in a gun show again.....cuz beating the big chain stores just can't happen.

IMO, there is not enough support for the "mom and pop" stores. I would rather keep the local guy in business, even if it cost me a little more.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

Your choice, of course, but I've yet to see a handgun for sale at Wal Mart. I haven't seen a long gun for sale there in a while either, not that I've looked lately, but the ones I remember from a couple of years ago were generally things like the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 or a Mossberg 500. I don't recall the pricing, I'm sure it was good like all WalMart pricing. I was in the market for an AK at the time. They don't carry them.

I've never been to a show in El Paso, and I suspect you haven't traveled the 500 miles to one either. At the last couple or three shows in Austin, I've seen Gen 3 Glock 19's for $499 all day long. Academy's website lists them at $529. So if you were looking for the best price on, say, a Gen 3 Glock 19, you'd be better off spending the $5 admission and getting it at a gun show, because they beat Academy.

Let me know the next time you see a Glock 19 for sale at Wal Mart and we can compare those prices.

At the last couple or three shows in Austin, I've seen Ruger SR45's for $395, all day long. Academy's website lists them at... well, actually they don't list the SR45. They have the SR9 and SR40, for $459. So if you were looking for the best price on, say, a Ruger SR45, you'd be better off spending the $5 admission and getting it at a gun show, because even if Academy had the SR45, the gun shows that I've been to beat them on price by more than $50.

Let me know the next time you see a Ruger SR45 for sale at Wal Mart and we can compare those prices.

Now, will every gun you see at a show be priced better than the same gun at Academy or Wal Mart? Probably not, but I just gave you two specific examples that I happened to notice recently on guns I'm currently in the market for, where the gun show beat Academy by a decent margin. Certainly AK's have been overpriced everywhere since Sandy Hook, but please let me know what Academy and Wal Mart charges for an AK and we can compare to the $700 WASR's I've been seeing.

Maybe it's different at the El Paso shows, I don't know. But as far as the Austin shows go, you'll have a pretty good chance of seeing a particular gun for sale that's not named Taurus, and, from my observations at least, chances are it will be at least competitively priced, if not actually lower than Academy, and many vendors will haggle with you.

Yes, ammo is overpriced at gun shows and has been for a while. But I work during the day and can't camp out at 5:00 a.m. waiting for the Wal Mart delivery truck to arrive. More power to you if you can. I get lucky at Academy every once in a while when I stop on my way home. But yes, gun show ammo is generally overpriced.

Enjoy your fishing.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Then you will probably never set foot in a gun show again.....cuz beating the big chain stores just can't happen.

IMO, there is not enough support for the "mom and pop" stores. I would rather keep the local guy in business, even if it cost me a little more.

Define "big chain stores". I've yet to see anything even close to a decent price on a gun at Gander Mountain, Cabela's, or Dicks. I've never been to a Bass Pro so I can't comment on them. Academy, yes, their prices are competitive but the gun prices at the shows we get in Austin are for the most part at least as good as, if not better than, Academy.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is what it is.

Years ago, a gun show justified the price of parking and admission.

These days, they are overpriced, especially for ammo.

I would just as soon buy my guns at Cabela's, or Academy than at an overpriced gun show.

I've found plenty of .22 LR, .223/5.56, 9mm, and .45 Auto locally at 1/3 the price gun show vendors ask.

I have yet to stand in line for ammo before the doors open. If it is on the shelf I buy all I can afford. If not, wait another day.

Be well.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm sorry, but if you're buying your guns from Cabela's, I can't take seriously your complaint about gun shows being overpriced.

I've stated already that you are correct on ammo. But you're mistaken about the guns.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It is what it is.

Years ago, a gun show justified the price of parking and admission.

I would just as soon buy my guns at Cabela's, or Academy than at an overpriced gun show.

I've found plenty of .22 LR, .223/5.56, 9mm, and .45 Auto locally at 1/3 the price gun show vendors ask.

I have yet to stand in line for ammo before the doors open. If it is on the shelf I buy all I can afford. If not, wait another day.

Be well.

Lol, tough crowd these days.

Plus one.

I live in a town with all "mom and pop" gun stores. I can't get decent service out of even one of em. There is a halfway decent one, that's worth checking. Maybe I'm a cheap bass turd, but I've always had excellent experiences at cabelas, no matter how long the line, never had a cabelas employee point a gun at me and pull the trigger. Plus their prices beat the "mom and pop" stores hands down...

I mean how hard is it to give your brother's buddy a call when you get a gun on my list in? Seriously?

My friend at cabellas calls me every time. Till she quit.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Define "big chain stores". I've yet to see anything even close to a decent price on a gun at Gander Mountain, Cabela's, or Dicks. I've never been to a Bass Pro so I can't comment on them. Academy, yes, their prices are competitive but the gun prices at the shows we get in Austin are for the most part at least as good as, if not better than, Academy.

My point is that chain stores buy in bulk....so, they "can" sell at a lower price and usually do beat out small shops that place smaller orders.

It does not mean that the big chain stores "will" sell at a lower price.......but they can.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

So, you can buy 45 ACP 230 gr., FMJ, boxer primed. brass cased for $8.33 a box ? WOW ! I'll buy ALL you can get for that price !

Top Bottom