• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom slick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Little Elm, Texas
    Hey all. My first post on this board, please forgive me if my question is elementary. It's been 30 years since I bought a gun and I haven't a clue what the current rules/laws are to buy a handgun at a Texas gun show. Can someone please bring me up to date?
    Capitol Armory ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Welcome.

1. If you buy from a Federally Licensed Dealer, you will have to present state ID and submit to an "instant background check", and clear that check. If the seller is given a "proceed", you pays your money, and take your new gun home. Beware: Some dealers will tack on a "surcharge" if you pay by credit card. Cash is king. Most will not dicker with their prices, but it does not hurt to try. All have some guns they've had in inventory and have yet to sell and might be willing to let them go for a 10-15% discount if you pay cash.

Sometimes, buying a new gun from a dealer is like buying a new car: "Hey, I can't go no lower -- I've got a family to feed." I reply with: "You can still feed them hamburger with the money I give you instead of caviar."

2. If you buy from a private party, he/she may/may not ask for proof of residency, and may or may not ask if you are in any way prohibited from possessing a firearm. They incur all the risk of the sale (unless you are a known prohibited person being followed by LE). Private parties often ask more for a used gun than it is worth. It would be wise to have some reference (Blue Book of Gun Values/GunBroker.Com) to check before you buy. Private sellers are often more willing to negotiate than a Licensed Gun Dealer.

3. Never ever buy a gun in any parking lot/remote location unless you personally know the seller.

I'm sure others will offer further clarity.

Be well.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    If you are buying a show, walked the WHOLE show then figure out who you want to buy from. I have seen 20% differences in prices between aisles.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Shortround pretty much nailed it, but I would disagree with: 3. Never ever buy a gun in any parking lot/remote location unless you personally know the seller.

I've done this on numerous occasions without any issues, but within reason. I try not to meet people at night and/or in extremely remote locations; but I have met several sellers in parking lots and was able to complete the transaction with ease.

That said, I always go armed!

One more to add to the gun show list, and it's not to do with selling/buying specifically; but every show I've been to has a 30.06 sign and will not allow ammo/loaded magazines into the show. So if you're planning to sell there be prepared beforehand.

Cheers! M2

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Also consider:

Not everyone who has a table is a FFL (licensed dealer), some are just hobbyists selling from their own personal collection.

Some dealers will have items on their table that are private sale items (consignment, friends gun, etc. and not part of their business) and those may not require you filling out a 4473. Sometimes they will not even collect tax on those items. It's ok to ask if they are that type.

Sellers will sometimes match another sellers price if you are not rude and are serious about purchasing the gun.

+1 to what others have said about looking at all the tables first. It pays to shop the show and buy when you are ready to leave. Most sellers will hold the gun for you while you finish the show if you find that once in a lifetime deal that you can't walk past. Don't be surprised if you buy a gun and continue to walk the show if folks inquire about it, and offer to buy it from you.

Don't nit pick a gun apart and tell the seller what a piece of junk it is, and all the things you found wrong with it to get a lower price. If it's so bad why would you want it? Respect their property, and negotiate in good faith.

I've done this on numerous occasions without any issues, but within reason. I try not to meet people at night and/or in extremely remote locations; but I have met several sellers in parking lots and was able to complete the transaction with ease.

Those are exactly my experiences also, describes my personal experience with majormadmax to the letter.

Good Luck, and have fun!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Those are exactly my experiences also, describes my personal experience with majormadmax to the letter.

Same here, I usually find myself meeting some great folks through these transactions; and if there is any concern, it's that I end up talking guns with 'em for too long!

Honestly, I am much more concerned when doing a Craigslist transaction than I am with one dealing with firearms. I know not everyone's perfect, but for the most part the 'gun crowd' is a great group of folks!

Cheers! M2

tom slick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Little Elm, Texas
    Thanks all for the excellent advice.

It's weird to be so out of touch since at 18 years old I owned an AR, Python and one of the first Redhawks... not to mention that I carried an NSSA 99 average in 12 gauge. But then the family came along and my priorities shifted and the guns got sold off one by one.

Fast forward 30 years and my trigger finger is getting itchy again and I think it's time to scratch it.

pjp74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Anna, TX
    I know I am posting this a little late, but I have always found that when I wanted to buy from a gun show, that it is always best to go on Sunday, and preferably after about 2pm. Most dealers would much more like to make a sale with a little less profit, than have to bring that gun back to the shop. Also, I have always got better trade-in values when waiting until Sunday afternoon.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I know I am posting this a little late, but I have always found that when I wanted to buy from a gun show, that it is always best to go on Sunday, and preferably after about 2pm. Most dealers would much more like to make a sale with a little less profit, than have to bring that gun back to the shop. Also, I have always got better trade-in values when waiting until Sunday afternoon.

There's two ways to look at this theory. One is yours, the other is that by 2pm on Sunday all the good stuff is gone and the dealers are willing to haggle on what remains.

I for one am of the belief that it's best to get there early and if you end up paying a little more for something you really want, than so be it. I still haggle but at least I have the opportunity to do so. By Sunday afternoon if there's anything left over, there's a reason for it...

But I have not found that dealers are willing to offer more for trade-ins towards the end of a show, for the exact reason you stated. Why would they pay more for a gun that they have almost no chance of turning before the end of the show? Chances are that they'll end up hauling it back to the shop as well, so there's no real incentive for them to hand over more cash for a pistol.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Saturday morning is also the best time for finding good deals from regular people walking into the venue, or the post church crowd around lunchtime on Sunday.

Not a fan of late Sunday either, some vendors wrap up early and head home before the show ends. Feel like majormadmax, if it has been looked at by two days worth of people and no one got it, there might be a reason............

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not a fan of late Sunday either, some vendors wrap up early and head home before the show ends. Feel like majormadmax, if it has been looked at by two days worth of people and no one got it, there might be a reason............

Yeah, saw that at last month's SAXET show here in San Antonio. Was on the road for work so I didn't get to go until Sunday afternoon. Many vendors had already packed up and left. Was kinda pissed off about that, they still charged full admission but a noticeable amount of vendors had departed...

Top Bottom