• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    Here we go again “Gun show loophole”, buzz words of the decade.
    Invented to make the moonbats feel like they have a purpose in life.

‘Gun show loophole’ initiative at 345,000 signatures

Posted on January 2, 2014 | By Joel Connelly

An initiative to close the “gun show loophole” by requiring criminal background checks for gun purchasers has almost certainly earned a place on Washington’s November ballot.

Backers of Initiative 594 submitted 95,000 signatures on Thursday to the Elections Division of the Washington Secretary of State, on top of 250,000 submitted last fall. The measure requires 246,372 valid voter signatures to earn a place on the ballot.

“Together we will bring firearms background checks to all guns in Washington state,” said Rev. Sandy Brown, senior minister at Seattle First Methodist Church and a leader in the group Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility.

I-594 would extend background checks, currently required for commercial gun dealers, to those purchasing firearms at gun shows and those buying guns online.

It appears, however, that Washington voters may confront two rival initiatives.

Initiative 591, sponsored by gun-rights groups, would prohibit government agencies from requiring background checks unless there is a uniform national standard. Its sponsors presented 5,000 signatures to the Elections Division, but had previously submitted more than enough to make the ballot.

The Secretary of State’s office will begin checking signatures on Jan. 10.

The rival initiatives will first go to the Washington Legislature. Lawmakers can enact one or both into law, put an amended measure onto the ballot or simply refer both initiatives to the voters.

The state last voted on a gun measure in 1997, a proposed requirement for safety locks on firearms and a mandatory gun safety course by new purchasers of firearms. The National Rifle Association mounted a multimillion-dollar campaign while supporters had no resources.

But I-594 backers raised more than $750,000 at a luncheon last spring, and such major donors as Nick Hanauer, Jon Shirley and Tom and Sonya Campion have put resources behind the measure to require background checks.
    The initiative grew out of reaction to the December 2012 murder of 20 first graders and six adults at a grammar school in Newtown, Conn.

?Gun show loophole? initiative at 345,000 signatures - Strange Bedfellows ? Politics News
    DK Firearms

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Plus they love to always throw in "online sales" being part of the loophole.
    They can't come out and say that they want to regulate what you do with your private property, so they twist the words and straight out lie. And unfortunately, many people fall for it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I went to the store earlier and use the Super Market Loophole to buy some milk

Heck back in Sept, I even used the Car Dealer Loophole and bought a new truck!

it's crazy out there:rolleyes:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Plus they love to always throw in "online sales" being part of the loophole.
    They can't come out and say that they want to regulate what you do with your private property, so they twist the words and straight out lie. And unfortunately, many people fall for it.

I think the online thing is from complete ignorance. Yes, you can go online and buy a gun from anywhere, but you still in one way or another go through a background check. And state laws still apply as well. I think a lot of people go online and see the sites and assume you just click a button and thats it.

Also, the gunshow loophole isn't the huge gap people think it is. It is also still subject to state laws. When I lived in CA you still had to wait for 10 days or whatever before you could physically get the firearm and there were no personal sales.

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    They just awaken these bs ideas to keep their anti-gun organizations going.
    These people could never make it out there in the real world so they need to rely on the public giving them money.
    In order to get that money they need to make it look like they're fighting for something.
    Guns, global warming, environment, oil drilling all that is classic and still works perfectly for those people.

Top Bottom