• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    You guys do what you want reference a bill of sale. As for me, almost every gun I have sold since 1980 has been sold using one and bought with me insisting on getting one. I also ask to see ID to assure the info that goes on the bill of sale is correct. My guns, my sale, my rules. You do not have to buy from me if you disagree with my terms, no problem with me.

As for a TX driver's license, I spoke to at least four dealers with an FFL who all told me to make sure the buyer has identification in the form of a TX driver's license or a TX ID card. I guess I could always not ask and then wind up selling to an illegal alien but I'd rather not.

As for my sales at the show: Each dealer who bought the guns from me all showed their driver's licenses without me asking. The dealers each also immediately agreed to fill out the bills of sale. A bill of sale serves as a record for the seller and as a bit of a deterrent for an undesirable type trying to buy a gun; however, it actually is potentially much more beneficial for the buyer. I think you'd have to be a fool to buy a gun without asking the seller to give you a bill of sale; if you cannot figure out why then you may suffer the consequences when it winds up you bought a stolen gun or one used in a crime and are later found to have it in your possession with only your story to say where you got it. Do what you like, as for me I do bills of sale. :popcorn:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You guys do what you want reference a bill of sale. As for me, almost every gun I have sold since 1980 has been sold using one and bought with me insisting on getting one. I also ask to see ID to assure the info that goes on the bill of sale is correct. My guns, my sale, my rules. You do not have to buy from me if you disagree with my terms, no problem with me.

As for a TX driver's license, I spoke to at least four dealers with an FFL who all told me to make sure the buyer has identification in the form of a TX driver's license or a TX ID card. I guess I could always not ask and then wind up selling to an illegal alien but I'd rather not.

As for my sales at the show: Each dealer who bought the guns from me all showed their driver's licenses without me asking. The dealers each also immediately agreed to fill out the bills of sale. A bill of sale serves as a record for the seller and as a bit of a deterrent for an undesirable type trying to buy a gun; however, it actually is potentially much more beneficial for the buyer. I think you'd have to be a fool to buy a gun without asking the seller to give you a bill of sale; if you cannot figure out why then you may suffer the consequences when it winds up you bought a stolen gun or one used in a crime and are later found to have it in your possession with only your story to say where you got it. Do what you like, as for me I do bills of sale. :popcorn:

That has been hashed out on here ad infinitum. Some require, some don't If you want to sell something on here state your terms. That way a lot of us won't even bother. As for as legality a signed BOS is worthless legally, that has also been hashed out.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I always state my terms plainly for all to see when I sell something, prevents misunderstandings.

By the way, I have to wonder why you responded to my immediately previous post by saying this has been discussed on these forums ad infinitum as if writing off my view on the subject; yet, you are the one a few to several posts earlier who brought up the subject like it was a point of contention worthy of discussion so you could make your point:
    When you pulled out a BOS I would have been gone. They are worthless and I won't sign one, much less show you a DL. I bought a pistol from an individual, FTF I got pistol, he got green. We both smiled.
    As far as a bill of sale being useless, I beg to differ based upon investigative work I have done wherein bills of sale were used a evidence successfully by both prosecutors and defenders and in tort cases. Regardless, I truly believe it quite foolhardy to not request a bill of sale if you are the buyer but that's just in my opinion. As I said, you do it your way, I'll do it mine but please don't tell me how something has been discussed ad infinitum as if implying my point of view does not count when you are the one who brought up and then continued the subject of how you feel about them.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I always state my terms plainly for all to see when I sell something, prevents misunderstandings.

By the way, I have to wonder why you responded to my immediately previous post by saying this has been discussed on these forums ad infinitum as if writing off my view on the subject; yet, you are the one a few to several posts earlier who brought up the subject like it was a point of contention worthy of discussion so you could make your point: As far as a bill of sale being useless, I beg to differ based upon investigative work I have done wherein bills of sale were used a evidence successfully by both prosecutors and defenders and in tort cases. Regardless, I truly believe it quite foolhardy to not request a bill of sale if you are the buyer but that's just in my opinion. As I said, you do it your way, I'll do it mine but please don't tell me how something has been discussed ad infinitum as if implying my point of view does not count when you are the one who brought up and then continued the subject of how you feel about them.

You brought up BOS, not me. Just informing you how a lot of us do business.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Glenn, most of us just want to see a LTC / CCL at sale. If you have a LTC, you are not a felon.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

He showed me his TX driver's license and when I asked him t fill out a bill of sale (I almost always write up a bill of sale for guns I sell) he suddenly said he had to hit up the ATM (regardless of the wad of cash in his hand) and disappeared with his pal.

Sounds to me like you brought it up after a deal had been made.

Anxiously waiting to see the court cases too.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas

Can you guarantee the security of the buyer's personal information? Have you ever been the victim of identity theft? I have.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Can you guarantee the security of the buyer's personal information? Have you ever been the victim of identity theft? I have.
    I need to guarantee nothing about a buyer or seller only that I acted with due diligence and thus that I believed what is on a bill of sale (in other words I am accountable for my actions not for those of another). As for discussing this point further - write up your own thread to discuss it please. The bill of sale was only initially mentioned herein as a fact of what happened at this gun show not as the topic of discussion of this thread, the topic of this thread was the gun show and what I did there. It was not some tangential argument that others want to make about the pros or cons of a bill of sale. As I said before and will say again now, I do it my way and you can do it yours. With that, I will no longer discuss this within this thread.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Glenn, we are not trying to get your goat, but most of us are not fans of the BOS, because there are actual court cases where the seller, who obtained a BOS from the buyer, was found to be at fault when the buyer turned out to be a felon. One of the few requirements regarding private gun sales: you can't sell to a felon.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Down here we call it "put up or shut up" Lawsuit particulars please.
    I worked as a federal LEO for many just over 32 years. I have been involved in at least a few cases where a bill of sale or receipt for goods was used as evidence in criminal cases wherein that evidence helped convict a defendant. They are quite valuable as evidence. I know of another case wherein a person was not charged with a crime because he produced a bill of sale for items that were suspected to be stolen. Again, quite useful as evidence. I am not about to divulge any of the particulars of those cases because under law and regulation, I am not permitted to do so. So I will shut up as I already said I would.

In fact, I am only answering your latest boorish bombastic blathering because all you seem capable of doing is being an antagonistic pest who can only understand his own point of view. To that I find I must say, as I am sure I in essence have already said at least two or maybe three times above, you do it your way and I will do it mine. If you can not leave it at that and be satisfied that others may have a differing way to do things than do you, then there is absolutely no use in my ever discussing any other matter with you again.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    If you ever make it to SATX I know a guy you should hang out with.

He has piles of claims without ever showing proof of anything too.

Aren't court cases usually public record?

United States versus Jeffers
    94 CR 698 (ILG)

This was a 1994 case I worked in which the defendant convicted in part because as I recall he had a bill of sale for a container that was used to transport narcotics. It is the only one for which I have a case or docket number and only because the Assistant U.S. Attorney included that number on a letter of commendation I received for my work on said case. Yes, bills of sale are used as evidence in court proceedings. I will not and cannot discuss the case further. The end.

Top Bottom