• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    First Gun Show IN San Antonio for the new year. It's small, but we, as a vendor, did ok!

Attachments

• Gun show promo 2.jpg
      Gun show promo 2.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 137

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    UPDATE!! THERE MAY BE OVER 100 TABLES OUT THERE THIS WEEK-END!! We just finished setting up and they've taken over the entire wing of the hotel!! GUN SHOWS ARE BACK!!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I was at the Bastrop gun show a week or so ago
    and I spoke with a custom holster vendor from SA about this exact topic -- gun shows in SA
    He said SA used to have one of the very best gun shows anywhere, hundreds of vendors, tons of buyers
    He also said SA stopped all gun shows -- wouldn't allow them -- as of a year ago or more (I don't remember his time frame, he gave a more precise time frame, but my memory has dropped the ball)

So what changed, or did this vendor give me bad info?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    UPDATE!! THERE MAY BE OVER 100 TABLES OUT THERE THIS WEEK-END!! We just finished setting up and they've taken over the entire wing of the hotel!! GUN SHOWS ARE BACK!!

Are they back, back? Or are they "back" like Texas Football is every other year when they lose half their games?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A hundred tables? What do we do after the first hour?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm spoiled by the SAR and like size shows from the AZ state fair grounds. You need a hotel and all 3 days and I lived in the same city. Lol

The internet has killed the golden age.

Dont get me wrong, smaller shows in out of the way places are still enjoyable cause you actually get to see different local stuff but, Jerkey candles Crystal's over priced "rare" shit and chi com toys ain't a gun show.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hey now, I need a couple or three of those toy machine guns that make noise, light up and move. My grands have destroyed the ones I have now.

Great teaching toys to help them understand proper gun handling. Then after that they can shoot them at each other. My 5 year old granddaughter is a Chuck Norris in training little thing. The boys are always getting caught off guard by her sneaky tricks. They never hear her coming....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was at the Bastrop gun show a week or so ago
    and I spoke with a custom holster vendor from SA about this exact topic -- gun shows in SA
    He said SA used to have one of the very best gun shows anywhere, hundreds of vendors, tons of buyers
    He also said SA stopped all gun shows -- wouldn't allow them -- as of a year ago or more (I don't remember his time frame, he gave a more precise time frame, but my memory has dropped the ball)

So what changed, or did this vendor give me bad info?

Almost correct.

I am the TGT unofficial San Antonio Gun Show historian.

The "very best gun show anywhere" was the Premier (a.k.a. The Original Fort Worth Gun Show) event, hosted by the Tim and Michelle Finucane, two of the most wonderful people you could ever meet! They were very gracious to those of us from TGT who went to the shows, buying us breakfast at the first one and providing free entry and passes for subsequent shows. Honestly, it was gun heaven, over 1000 tables and more vendors than anyone could ever want, with a fine selection of every kind of firearm you could imagine!

They were hosted at the Freeman Auditorium and even expanded into an adjoining hall at the peak. I was like a kid before Christmas every time they came to town (about every other month).

Then San Antonio (more specifically, Nelson Wolff) started to put the squeeze on them, charging even more for parking. Premier tried to offset the costs by lowering the price to enter the show, but after a while it just got to be cost prohibitive so in 2015 they tried a new venue (the San Antonio Shrine Auditorium on 1604 in Stone Oak). Unfortunately, that location didn't lend itself to such a large show and the ended up cancelling all their shows in San Antonio in 2017.

I am still in touch with Tim and Michelle, and they have always contended they would love to come back to the area but until a sufficient venue is found that won't happen. You can read more about it here...

With SAXET folding last year, the Alamo City has been vacant of any gun shows. At only 100 tables, this one won't be a contender. It's a very small venue and I really don't see it flourishing in today's gun market. Premier does hold shows in New Braunfels, but it is only medium sized. It still the best one in the area for anyone wanting to attend a gun show, but the hey day of gun shows in San Antonio are long past and I don't see it returning anytime soon.

By the way, the City of San Antonio had nothing to do with the demise of these shows. Bexar County, which owns the Freeman Expo Hall, killed the Premier shows. SAXET ended because the owner of the building turned it into a furniture store. Austin Highway show were never that good to begin with, the owner tried but they never reached a point to make them worth attending. There have been a few other small shows in the towns near SA, such as the one Buddy held in Castroville; but they were so small it just wasn't worth the time. Like I suspect this one to be, it probably takes 15-30 minutes tops to see everything, and most of it will be overpriced.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    After being told on the phone by someone with SAXET that the reason they posted 30.06 was “ they didn’t want another mass shooting at one of their shows” I followed that statement with the question “ when did that ever happen?”
    The older sounding woman on the phone with me then simply said “fück you” and hung up.

Pretty much stopped going to gun shows altogether after that.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    After being told on the phone by someone with SAXET that the reason they posted 30.06 was “ they didn’t want another mass shooting at one of their shows” I followed that statement with the question “ when did that ever happen?”
    The older sounding woman on the phone with me then simply said “fück you” and hung up.

Did you call her back? :)

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

Stupidity abounds

postal

Old gun guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    St Paul/San Antonio
    I'm spoiled by the SAR and like size shows from the AZ state fair grounds. You need a hotel and all 3 days and I lived in the same city. Lol

The internet has killed the golden age.

Dont get me wrong, smaller shows in out of the way places are still enjoyable cause you actually get to see different local stuff but, Jerkey candles Crystal's over priced "rare" shit and chi com toys ain't a gun show.
    I agree. SAR has it all if you're into NFA. If not, the rest of the show (Crossroads if the West) will have most of what you need.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Considering it, but suspect I will be highly disappointed...

The San Antonio Gun Show will be held next on Sep 10th-11th, 2022 with additional shows on Feb 3rd-4th, 2023, Sep 2nd-3rd, 2023, and Nov 11th-12th, 2023 in San Antonio, TX. This San Antonio gun show is held at Alzafar Shriners (901 N Loop 1604 W, San Antonio, TX 78258) and hosted by Texas Gun Shows. All federal and local firearm laws and ordinances must be obeyed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Anybody been to this event, this location, these organizers? Just trying to decide how badly I want to spend $10 to find out for myself...

It's the only show left in SA.

Still, I would set my expectations low, and still expect to be disappointed; but it's been so long since we've been to a gun show (I think it was the last SAXET one), if I wake up early I may go check it out.

That said, I'm not setting my alarm clock!

Top Bottom