• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Good luck, I've not found the high caliber shows to be worth the price of admission, the drive there, and the hassle of parking unless I'm really bored. I've not been to one at NRG, but used to try my luck at the GRB ones and finally gave up. I'd like to hear about your experience at NRG.

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    Good luck, I've not found the high caliber shows to be worth the price of admission, the drive there, and the hassle of parking unless I'm really bored. I've not been to one at NRG, but used to try my luck at the GRB ones and finally gave up. I'd like to hear about your experience at NRG.

Just curious what you didn't care for... and where the better shows are.

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    Planning on going. The wife wants to look at a few weapons plus I don't have anything planned this weekend. The HGCA show Sept 24-25 is pretty cool.

Whatever happened to the Saxet shows?

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Used to be in Houston there was HGCA, High Caliber, and "The Real TX Gun Show". The "Real" shows were little more than arts and crafts shows with one or two gun tables. Total waste of time. They've (thankfully) gone away and have been replaced with the Premier shows. I have noticed of late the quality of the High Caliber shows has been going down. Fewer vendors and a bit more arts and craft tables. Talked to a couple vendors that I used to see at High Caliber and Premier, but now I only see at Premier. They told of how HC was starting to become jerks to deal with so they no longer go to those. Saxet used to be here many years ago, but I think they're mostly in San Antonio now. HGCA is usually good, so long as you throw out the show they schedule the weekend after the SHOT show. Made the mistake of going to that one once. Won't waste my time on it again.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Sucked.
    $12.00 to park. $9.00 entry.
    Small.
    walked thru the entire show in 30 minutes.
    Prices insane. Hint: 1911 does not mean $1911.00.
    Most tactifool with some Fudd. Nothing reasonable.
    Saw one Savage 20ga/.22lr for $700.00. I want what that guy is smoking.
    About 1/3 of the show isn't guns.
    Go to range today Instead.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Was one of the smallest shows I have ever been to.
    There was a real STG-44 that the owner was nice enough to let me fondle. ($30,000)
    There was one keltec CMR-30, for $699.00. The only one I have seen for less than $1000.00.

The parking lot looks empty compared to most shows. Lots of people selling, not many buying. Many non-dealers selling their collections.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Even then, unless you're local and it's a short drive, it isn't worth it...

For me, it's about a 20 - 30 minute drive. But yeah, getting raped for parking means that it has to be a big show to make it worth the pain. IIRC, it's $10 to park at the HGCA shows. Might even be more. So you're $20 out of pocket when you just walk in the door. So unless it's a big show, I just go to the Pasadena shows. Free parking and it's fairly close. If the weather is nice, it's a nice drive to drop the car top on the way to and from.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For me, it's about a 20 - 30 minute drive. But yeah, getting raped for parking means that it has to be a big show to make it worth the pain. IIRC, it's $10 to park at the HGCA shows. Might even be more. So you're $20 out of pocket when you just walk in the door. So unless it's a big show, I just go to the Pasadena shows. Free parking and it's fairly close. If the weather is nice, it's a nice drive to drop the car top on the way to and from.

Just curious, does the NRG Arena offer free parking for Disabled Veteran-licensed vehicles? For us it's a 221-mile trip each way, so even with a car that gets 35 MPG it is still $25 just in gas. $10 per person to get in (kids 12-17 are $5), and it's easily fifty bucks just in logistics. Given that it is a large show, that might make it worth the time and trouble (and cost); but the last time we went it just didn't seem to offer any decent deals, so we'll stick to ones closer to home...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Just curious, does the NRG Arena offer free parking for Disabled Veteran-licensed vehicles? For us it's a 221-mile trip each way, so even with a car that gets 35 MPG it is still $25 just in gas. $10 per person to get in (kids 12-17 are $5), and it's easily fifty bucks just in logistics. Given that it is a large show, that might make it worth the time and trouble (and cost); but the last time we went it just didn't seem to offer any decent deals, so we'll stick to ones closer to home...

No. It isn't. The HGCA show is a shadow of its former self.
    I hear Tulsa is the only "big" show left but damn that is a haul.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I knew they were around still. I should have been more clear. I'm wondering why they pulled out of Houston?. Seems like before I moved away, they were always having a show in Houston.

sorry :) Never knew saxet did houston. I've been working with that promoter since 2010 ish.

Hopefully I'll be able to rock the gun show circuit here in the metro detroit area with my awesome products and good prices.

Top Bottom