• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    While most are decent folks, yesterday the George R. Brown gun show here in Houston I had some terrible customer service. I'm collecting WWII rifles and found a French 1936 MAS for $250. I know I know, but I wanted it to complete the collection. When I asked the dealer if he know when the weapon was manufactured he said "What do I look like a French expert?" I replied, "No, but you're an expert at being a jerk, hope your smartass comment was worth two hundred bucks." and then walked away. I'm finding it more and more often that people like this are acting that they're doing me a favor selling me a gun. I left there pissed off with my only purchase of $38 bucks for a box of .380 ammo.
    Target Sports

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I wonder if the business surge they are experiencing is too much to handle.

Not like when times are slow. Less people to deal with, less questions, less hours, etc..

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I have come across a few that were so full of themselves that their arrogance was overwhelming.
    Just like that comment - just plain unnecessary and costly to boot.
    I would not have been as tactful as you.
    I would of offered to make him an expert buy shoving the gun up his ass.
    He would know a hell of a lot about french guns then.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I asked one of the bog dealers about a discount off the marked price on a S&W 340 PD. He said that gun is hard to find and walked off. He just walked off and started BS'n with another guy behind the table. He was not talking with a customer and I fully intended to buy. I for one am done with the big dealers at gun shows.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think I'm with Mo on this I would have offered to make that D-bag an expert by shoving the rifle somewhere bad sideways in a hurry. He is an ass and he lost close to $250 for it. Forget him.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I would of offered to make him an expert buy shoving the gun up his ass.

I know where you are coming from, but when he would have replied with "Go ahead and try" then you'd be sitting there looking like a dumbass making empty threats. Better to just call him a few choice names and walk off. ;)

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I know where you are coming from, but when he would have replied with "Go ahead and try" then you'd be sitting there looking like a dumbass making empty threats. Better to just call him a few choice names and walk off. ;)
    I would have never actually offed, just waited till he turned his back and bent over. Then informed him he is soon to be a expert

No, your are right, some times better to bite ones tongue and move on than to start some crap over nothing really.

But the thought helps!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Some people are just not cut out to be dealing with the public. Having an FFL and some gun knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to good people skills. Unfortunately, there is a lot of such mismatches in the gun industry.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Guys I find society as a whole is more rude in general then I have seen in my lifetime so much so I'm shocked when I find a competent or friendly sales person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    I saw an awful lot of fear mongering too. "You need to buy this now, you know Obama is going to ban these weapons so." Oh man that pissed me off. I see an awful lot of young folks falling prey to so-called "experts".

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    A little perspective from the other side of the table...

A good friend of mine has his FFL and his own gun business. He makes the monthly gun show circuit, doing mostly Saxet shows and OFWGS shows. The name of the business shall go nameless here, out of respective for forum rules. Another fella and I help him out at the table-- leaving the bargaining and trade-in stuff to him, since he's the boss and it's his money.

The boss-- let's call him Jim-- is absolutely insistent on good customer service. Because of this, we get a lot of repeat customer business, even when some of the bigger dealers can undercut his prices. We engage with everyone, and do our best to try to help folks find what they want. The only difficult customers are the ones who want to trade and want a ridiculous price for their gun.

Jim knows a lot about firearms, much more than his helpers. I can speak knowledgeably about 1911s, Glocks, single action Rugers, and to some extent ARs because I own some of them and have experience in shooting them. Just getting to know HKs, since I recently acquired one. Don't have any experience with Sigs, but know they are an excellent pistol maker. Same for Taurus. I don't like XDs, but that's simply my preference, and I don't bad-mouth them to customers. My buddy, the other helper, has experience with DA revolvers, 1911s, Browning HPs, Glocks, ARs, and Garands. We don't know everything-- far from it-- but we are not without knowledge. Frequently, when a customer seems to have a hard time making up his mind, we encourage them to go to a local range that rents guns and try out the ones they're interested in, before they drop $400+ bucks.

There are some dealers who are not customer friendly, and take a "buy it or leave it" attitude. We are not that way-- can't afford to be. There are also some customers who arrive at the show with a chip on their shoulder and a need to show off in front of other folks. We just accept it and do our best to try to meet the needs of our customers. We're not perfect-- but we do try to run a good gun business.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

I had a reputation for tearing into people without mercy. I'd just start smashing their faces. A guy who takes three punches and two kicks to the face has his whole day ruined and the argument simply fades away! Great problem solving techniques, huh? Worse, there were times I picked up anything handy to aid in the process including sharp pointy things.

Once, long ago, a guy would take a whipping, dust himself off and go on about his business. Those days are gone. When the fight ends, your problems are just beginning!

Fast forward some years.............. I was lucky to keep a clean record and got a job in a prison. I was surrounded with men who were incarcerated for doing exactly the same things we just described. Use of sharp pointy things got some of them locked up for decades!

You can bet your butt I changed my ways. I will apologize, offer to make amends or if I've done wrong, offer to pay for damages. I walk away!

These days, if you smash a guy, you will visit with a nice judge and get to wear a white uniform every day. They will tell you when you can poop and your days of romantic interludes with women are over for a LONG time. Use a utensil in the whup-ass process and your stay in the iron bar hotel will be even longer.

In the event you beat the rap, the process will lighten you up about $20,000.

Guys, you gotta outgrow this stuff. Society has changed and there are plenty of racks available in the Texas prison units. You've been warned!

Flash

Top Bottom