ARJ Defense ad

Gun store near San Antonio that isn't a rip off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I am unaware of any price difference between the SR9 and SR9C. I bought my SR9 from Academy for $429+tax. If you dont have to buy it immediately, just wait. I was skimming through their ad in the paper and noticed the $429 advertised. Im sure they will have it on sale again. Good Luck
    Texas SOT

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    well, ive only been here for 1.5 years now and in San Antonio i prefer to deal with Powderhorn.

They have always been very polite and knowledgeable of their product. I have gotten very very fair prices on trade in's as well as their used gun prices are usually very good. Their new prices seem to fluxuate a little bit and sometimes its a good price, somtimes its high but i like dealing with them and will support them however i can.

Nagles is OK because they have a ton of stuff and some of the guys in there are pretty smart but overall the shop has a bad attitude.

Texas Guns is a flat out joke. EXPENSIVE isn't event he right word LOL....

Bass Pro is a joke for firearms prices but accessories aren't all that bad.

Gun Show is hit or miss but typically MISS.

If you are looking for NEW and Powderhorn doesn't have it or is a tad pricey, Academy is an ok option but Cabelas usually beats everyone else ESPECIALLY bass pro shop.

My .02c... This is just my experience of 16 guns purchased from shops since living here.... For Transfers i prefer Wetmore... they are good people too and $20 transfers are nice.

JOe

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    You admit the have good prices and good selection but you call them a rip off?
    I have bought hundreds of new guns in my lifetime and never have I felt the need to disassemble a brand new in the box gun that I am the first owner of.

Furthermore you are not "SOL if the gun sucks". And I am positive that the reason you cant break a gun down right there has nothing to do with "crappy trust in their product". More likely it has to do with not wanting every idiot off the street to be taking guns apart by the hundreds all day long and not being able to re-assemble them/stealing parts from them/wasting time of employees in such a high volume environment.

You just hit the nail on the head! Before the policies went into effect, we lost lots of parts and time. I had to put a Sig back together yesterday after the customer disassembled the one he was to purchase, which had no lock on it. I've had people try to steal slide stops, barrels and mags. I'd like to see some of the complainers in this thread walk a mile in my shoes.

armueller2001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    DFW
    Sweet, I was able to get the sr9c i wanted over the weekend at the SAXET show. Selling price? $390. Much more reasonable than 460-470 like the SA area stores. 420 out the door was much more agreeable to my finances than 500+.

Hooray for the SAXET show!

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    You just hit the nail on the head! Before the policies went into effect, we lost lots of parts and time. I had to put a Sig back together yesterday after the customer disassembled the one he was to purchase, which had no lock on it. I've had people try to steal slide stops, barrels and mags. I'd like to see some of the complainers in this thread walk a mile in my shoes.

what shop do you work at?

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Went to Texas Guns recently and just walked right out. Didn't even see their prices. I asked for a product which the clerk immediately bad mouthed and then turned to another customer. I won't be back there ever!

W

Syntax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    NW San Antonio
    I literally live down the street from Texas Guns, and cringe every time I drive past; the single time I went in; no one even looked at me for the first five minutes; so I awkwardly looked around the gun cases (Was looking for my first firearm). When they finally did say something to me; it was only to tell me that I was being ignored because they were helping someone else; and didn't mean to be rude. (What?).

The connected "Texas Thunder Range" is also a joke; 25$ a person, with tax; AND you have to shoot using THEIR reloads; that you have to buy from them. I don't shoot reloads; at all, and if I did, I would never shoot someone else's, especially someone I've never met.

To to the dismay of some, (possibly) I prefer going to Academy, and even driving out to Cabela's for my firearms. While the prices may not be the bottom line lowest ever; they're at least concrete, and something that I can research before going. I don't know who said it takes 30 minutes to get out the door; but at Cabela's I walked in, picked my G17 and was back on the road within 10 minutes. (That includes being helped and comparing the G17 to G19, both of which they did remove the trigger lock for me; maybe that one time I just got a nice guy?) Academy does take a little longer to get your firearm purchase completed; but what do you expect from a retailer that focuses on guns the least amount?

I unfortunately work when during SAXET shows; so I've yet to venture there; but my friends have said they've been able to find good deals. (and trades)

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    Nagel's has been robbing people blind since the AWB and since they themselves were robbed. Saw a guy that went in to get a WASR for hog hunting on his Uncle's ranch and they wanted to charge him $800. He of course passed on it cause it was out of his budget of $400 and under which is what you can get a WASR for if you look in the right areas. He ended up still getting ripped off for a Chinese SKS for $600. That was a crime taking place right before my eyes.

Had some ok experiences with Powderhorn and Academy, but I've been doing my business with Scott from Bullitproof Arms in Kyle Texas.

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    Scott Brock over at Bullit Proof Arms is my go-to guy for my AK purchases as of late, got my Arsenal SGL-21 from as well as some Bulgarian Circle 10 mags, he's a vendor at most of the Texas Gun Shows, he doesn't have a website as of yet but he can be reached at bullitproofarms@hotmail.com

Hope that helps :)

- J

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Scott Brock over at Bullit Proof Arms is my go-to guy for my AK purchases as of late, got my Arsenal SGL-21 from as well as some Bulgarian Circle 10 mags, he's a vendor at most of the Texas Gun Shows, he doesn't have a website as of yet but he can be reached at bullitproofarms@hotmail.com

Hope that helps :)

- J

I think I remember seeing his table on Sunday. There were several Arsenal AKs. Wish I coulda had the money for one of those and a few other toys I saw.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think I remember seeing his table on Sunday. There were several Arsenal AKs. Wish I coulda had the money for one of those and a few other toys I saw.

Where was he on the floor? I don't recall seeing anyone with "several Arsenal AKs," I normally would have noticed something like that!

Cheers! M2

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    =) towards the center. There were 4 on the table and the furthest to the right was the plum version that has a purple hint to it. Im learning about AKs atm, so I personally cant see the difference between the others at the show. I believe there made in the US and have better quality control and all of the Arsenal AKs had a tag of $1K+.

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    M2? you goin to SAXET this weekend ? Scott should be there, as for an Arsenal SGL-21 with Plum furniture, I am a proud owner of one :)

vlcsnap-2011-02-27-11h08m41s203.jpg

Sorry for the possible thread hijack

Take Care Brothers :)

- J

Attachments

• 101_00021.jpg
      101_00021.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 140

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    =) towards the center. There were 4 on the table and the furthest to the right was the plum version that has a purple hint to it. Im learning about AKs atm, so I personally cant see the difference between the others at the show. I believe there made in the US and have better quality control and all of the Arsenal AKs had a tag of $1K+.

Orbie

Saigas are imported by Izhmash as sporters (single stack mags, no pistol grip, different furniture) but some are converted back by Arsenal to a military configuration while remaining 922r compliant. The SGL series are made up by the Legion custom shop specifically for conversion (more info here), and are some of the nicest AKs around. Others make the conversions themselves, with varying results. I saw that Alan at AJC Sport Shop had SGL21s for about $725 last weekend, which is the price I paid out the door for my SGL20 (minor difference) back in July.

KaliJuan, I replied in the other thread, I'm not sure at the moment if we're going or not. Right now the chances are against it...

Cheers! M2

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Orbie

Saigas are imported by Izhmash as sporters (single stack mags, no pistol grip, different furniture) but some are converted back by Arsenal to a military configuration while remaining 922r compliant. The SGL series are made up by the Legion custom shop specifically for conversion (more info here), and are some of the nicest AKs around. Others make the conversions themselves, with varying results. I saw that Alan at AJC Sport Shop had SGL21s for about $725 last weekend, which is the price I paid out the door for my SGL20 (minor difference) back in July.

Cheers! M2

Thanks! There sure are alot of helpful folks on this forum. Alot of forums (seems mostly cars) you get bashed for having less knowledge.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Glad to help, we all have our areas of interest; but admittedly I am very lacking on knowledge of ARs outside of what I learned in the military. However, I do know people who are 40lb brainstems on them, so I know who to ask if I have any questions...

And there are some real experts on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom