Gun suggestions for beginner wanting to get CHL

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by A.Texas.Yankees'Girl, Nov 7, 2013.

1. A.Texas.Yankees'Girl

A.Texas.Yankees'Girl Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I'm wanting to get my CHL and wanting some suggestions of a good gun to practice with that qualifies for the CHL. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Have you ever shot? If no, get instruction and take it from there.

If yes, find a range that rents guns and will help guide you. Shoot many. Without working with you suggestions are just waaay to random

Its sort of like asking " what car should I get, I am a new driver. ;).

3. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Holy moly! Gonna' open a BIG can of worms! What do you think you'd like in the way of a concealed carry? :popcorn:

4. A.Texas.Yankees'Girl

Nov 3, 2013
    I have shot before...I've been shooting a .22 pistol and I love it but I was told you can't get your CHL with that.

5. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Are you gonna' carry it on your person or in a purse? You could test (as txi said) some at a range; maybe a .380 about the size of the .22 you're shooting, for starters.

6. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    The best thing is to handle and shoot as many as you can. You will find the one that feels right to you

7. A.Texas.Yankees'Girl

Nov 3, 2013
    I'd carry in my purse.

8. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Check out what your local range has available to try. A logical progression might be .22 - .380ACP - 9mm - .38 - .357 -.40 - .45ACP - each having a progressively more pronounced recoil. Of course, having never fired a .40, my list could be out of order somewhat. But still. Try them out, see what you're comfortable with. Most ranges have a selection of rental guns to try at decent prices.

My wife loves shooting my 9mm, but mostly because of its light weight. She doesn't mind the kick from my .45, but complains that the pistol itself is too heavy for her to shoot comfortably. Try different models, polymer frames/steel frames, until you hit on something that feels right. Then start checking out similar models until you narrow it down.

9. A.Texas.Yankees'Girl

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks for the help everyone!

10. AngeliaH

AngeliaH Life's Peachy TGT Supporter

Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Just a thought. When I first started thinking of getting my CHL I thought I would carry in my purse
    to. But think about it. If someone is gonna try to rob you what is the first thing they are going to grab?
    Also how many times have you run in to a store to grab something and left your purse in the car?
    Just something to think about. I was unsure about concealing a gun at first or afraid it would be
    uncomfortable because of my size, but after a while you get used to it and almost forget it is there.