• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    My wife hated the Bersa .380 — said the recoil hurt her hands. She thoroughly enjoyed the M&P compact with the small inserts, did well with the full sized XD9, even felt the Glock 21 .45 had less recoil than the .380. Plus, I want my wife carrying a service caliber — her chances of defending herself against an attacker are less than mine. I want her to have as much firepower as possible. Kahr makes some smaller service caliber semi-autos (qualifying with a semiauto qualifies you for both revolver & semi). M&P compact or shield, Glock 26, 27, 30, Springfield XDs (9mm & .45). Go fondle and shoot as much as you can (That's what she said).
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no longer a distinction between revolver and semi auto. Qualify with either, carry either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I'm wanting to get my CHL and wanting some suggestions of a good gun to practice with that qualifies for the CHL. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    The Ruger P85, Glock 19, or Sig p250(9mm). Are really great guns, also very simple to break down and Fun to shoot. relatively cheap to buy and shoot and can be found at your local academy store, good luck!

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no longer a distinction between revolver and semi auto. Qualify with either, carry either.
    Must have changed recently...

House Bill 3142
    Effective: Immediately
    Relating to handguns used to demonstrate proficiency in handgun use for purposes of obtaining a CHL.

• The category of the handgun used for proficiency demonstration is no longer required, whether a semi-automatic or a revolver was used.
    • All CHLs will reflect “SA” as the category. Changes to the laminated license are being developed and will be implemented at a later date.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    A Beretta .380 weighs as much or more than some 9mm, has less recoil. My Sig P238 has less felt recoil than some full size 9mm. The slide is easier to operate than most 9s.

I fact, I had a woman in class last week that could not handle the full sized S&W SW9. I let her use my 238 and she scored high 230s. She had only shot a couple of times before.

Point taken. I wasn't referring to tupperware, but I didn't specify that. Personally I wouldn't recommend a 238 for a new shooter because of the recoil on those little things, but a Beretta 380, or a steel full size 380 or 9 would be a recommendation I would go along with.

If you want to shoot plastic pistols, then I agree, you've just got to test fire a bunch of them. Size and weight don't seem to have as much an impact on felt recoil as you would expect it to. Some just shoot way softer than others.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    What part of the state are you in? If you're near the Houston area you're welcome to try some of mine. I mainly have 9mm but have other calibers as well and cover a range of sizes from a pocket pistol to a full size 1911 in .45. Most of the advice in here has been pretty sound. Its always about personal preference and finding something you're comfortable with. We can all argue the merits of a particular caliber or gun model all day long but in most cases they are all decent platforms.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    LCR, S&W 640, 432, SP101 2". Revolver, F-yeah. Will not let you down.
    SAs are great if you are a gun person and like clearing malfunctions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    LCR, S&W 640, 432, SP101 2". Revolver, F-yeah. Will not let you down.
    SAs are great if you are a gun person and like clearing malfunctions.

Lol, wut?

If you have that many malfunctions (more than very rare) you need to sell your hi-point and buy a real gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    What part of the state are you in? If you're near the Houston area you're welcome to try some of mine. I mainly have 9mm but have other calibers as well and cover a range of sizes from a pocket pistol to a full size 1911 in .45. Most of the advice in here has been pretty sound. Its always about personal preference and finding something you're comfortable with. We can all argue the merits of a particular caliber or gun model all day long but in most cases they are all decent platforms.

Thanks for the offer but I'm from the DFW area...a little too far :)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Point taken. I wasn't referring to tupperware, but I didn't specify that. Personally I wouldn't recommend a 238 for a new shooter because of the recoil on those little things, but a Beretta 380, or a steel full size 380 or 9 would be a recommendation I would go along with.
    Have you shot the 238? Again, I have had several new shooters prefer and shoot well with them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm from the DFW area...a little too far :)

Where do you shoot. Me and LG aren't terribly far south of DFW (think Hillsboro) and have a few 9mms a .40, and .45. 9mms include M&P shield, PPQ, XDm 4.5, SR9C, and 1911.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Where do you shoot. Me and LG aren't terribly far south of DFW (think Hillsboro) and have a few 9mms a .40, and .45. 9mms include M&P shield, PPQ, XDm 4.5, SR9C, and 1911.

I shoot in Poolville at the range A.Texas.Yankee shoots at. He has a membership there. It's about an hour outta Ft. Worth.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I shoot in Poolville at the range A.Texas.Yankee shoots at. He has a membership there. It's about an hour outta Ft. Worth.

That's a pretty good drive. If y'all wanna meet somewhere halfway the offer still stands.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    p238 is a great, I mean great little pocket pistol. Condition one, small bugger, in a woman's purse? Okay

I think it's already been said, but a purse is not an ideal carry position for a variety of reasons. On the body is much better.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The answer is both simple and complex.

First off, what do you want to shoot with? What will you shoot? What fits your hand? Is it a revolver or pistol? What are you willing to practice with? What will you carry, train with AND practice with?

Next is, how do you plan on carrying? Not being rude, but, will it be a bra carry, a more hidden carry? Or a waistband carry? I saw you agreed that a purse carry was less than optimal so...

There are SO many options and varieties of almost any configuration on the market that for me to say "X" is THE choice for a carry piece would be ludicrous. Keep in mind though that one 9mm does not shoot the same as the next. Nor does a .45, or a .380. Or any other caliber. Each weapon has it's own very distinct personality that must feel right for YOU. AND YOU ONLY. My Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro was an awesome little pistol but, I Hated the trigger on it, Was very accurate with it, but, that trigger. My Ruger SR9 is a fantastic weapon, and I used it to qualify for my CHL but, found it a bit too much for everyday carry. My CZ83 is a pistol in my carry rotation even though it is a Very snappy, in recoil terms, pistol and not of a "larger stopping caliber." I find it to be very reliable and a very accurate weapon with my shooting style. The trigger pull and action work well for me. The same for my Smith M&P c9. But a Glock G19,G17,G26, etc. will not fit my hand and all. Or a Springfield XD model. Nor can I shoot them accurately. That may not be the same for you.

Another thing that MUST be considered is caliber of the weapon. Along with actual felt and perceived recoil. I know quite a few woman that won't touch a .380 at all but, they have no problem with a .45 whatsoever. Some don't like a 9mm or a .45 but, will shoot a .40 a day long. And some like a .357 mag with a hot load over all those.

As has been said, try and fire as many of all types that you can, handle as many as you can, and keep asking questions.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Have you shot the 238? Again, I have had several new shooters prefer and shoot well with them.

From your experience have you noticed women who are new to shooting have trouble with 9mms? From what I have seen, they shoot them just fine, even exceptional. They also get at least two malfunctions in a single range session, from what I have seen. I saw one older lady drill a ragged hole in a target at ten yards with a Sig sp2022. She was next to me at the range. Her first time with that gun. I was impressed. I also had to help her clear two jams. I was even more impressed to see a Sig jam. Never happened to me and I've shot all kinds of Sigs.

Top Bottom