• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    I'm wanting to get my CHL and wanting some suggestions of a good gun to practice with that qualifies for the CHL. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Have you ever shot? If no, get instruction and take it from there.

If yes, find a range that rents guns and will help guide you. Shoot many. Without working with you suggestions are just waaay to random

Its sort of like asking " what car should I get, I am a new driver. ;).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    I have shot before...I've been shooting a .22 pistol and I love it but I was told you can't get your CHL with that.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Check out what your local range has available to try. A logical progression might be .22 - .380ACP - 9mm - .38 - .357 -.40 - .45ACP - each having a progressively more pronounced recoil. Of course, having never fired a .40, my list could be out of order somewhat. But still. Try them out, see what you're comfortable with. Most ranges have a selection of rental guns to try at decent prices.

My wife loves shooting my 9mm, but mostly because of its light weight. She doesn't mind the kick from my .45, but complains that the pistol itself is too heavy for her to shoot comfortably. Try different models, polymer frames/steel frames, until you hit on something that feels right. Then start checking out similar models until you narrow it down.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'd carry in my purse.

Just a thought. When I first started thinking of getting my CHL I thought I would carry in my purse
    to. But think about it. If someone is gonna try to rob you what is the first thing they are going to grab?
    Also how many times have you run in to a store to grab something and left your purse in the car?
    Just something to think about. I was unsure about concealing a gun at first or afraid it would be
    uncomfortable because of my size, but after a while you get used to it and almost forget it is there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Just a thought. When I first started thinking of getting my CHL I thought I would carry in my purse
    to. But think about it. If someone is gonna try to rob you what is the first thing they are going to grab?
    Also how many times have you run in to a store to grab something and left your purse in the car?
    Just something to think about. I was unsure about concealing a gun at first or afraid it would be
    uncomfortable because of my size, but after a while you get used to it and almost forget it is there.

Thanks...I would've never thought it that way!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If its just for qual and more practice IDE say get a full size and don't base the decision on what you want to carry.

Full size guns are easier to shoot and have less felt recoil. A big plus when moving up from rimfire and learning the basics. I would recommend 9mm.

After that it's a matter of finding a gun that fits your hand and your budget.

What is your spending limit?

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Full size guns are easier to shoot and have less felt recoil. A big plus when moving up from rimfire and learning the basics. I would recommend 9mm.

I couldn't agree more.
    The little pocket size .380 semi-auto's are a difficult gun to shoot well. Hard to aim, not pleasant to fire, and difficult to operate the slide.
    I'd recommend a full size 9mm.
    Go for comfort, something that feels good, and you will want to fire it more. More practice results in more confidence, which is the whole point.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm going to agree with Younggun. A 22 is a great way to learn to shoot. From there, I always recommend stepping up to a full size 9mm. A full size, heavy gun that you wouldn't want to carry every day is the kind that isn't going to kick and will make the transition to a larger caliber very easy.

After that you can experiment with smaller, concealed type pistols and will have a better feel for how the recoil feels. Some of those cute little pistols are no fun to shoot.

There are plenty of folks around. Maybe find a full size to borrow and practice, qualify with, and then you can save your money for rentals at the range while deciding on what you want to carry.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A Beretta .380 weighs as much or more than some 9mm, has less recoil. My Sig P238 has less felt recoil than some full size 9mm. The slide is easier to operate than most 9s.

I fact, I had a woman in class last week that could not handle the full sized S&W SW9. I let her use my 238 and she scored high 230s. She had only shot a couple of times before.

As an instructor, I strongly recommend shooting several size/caliber guns to find the one that suits you best.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    The people who ran the Beginner course i took, have a bunch of Glocks you can use (You buy their ammo at their cost) Their G19 has a very easy slide pull and has the right length so as there is not much felt recoil. (They also have Women only classes taught by a female)

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente

+1

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Well, if you want something that's easy to conceal, easy to shoot, and accurate, you might try a Glock 26. Take it to the range before you take your CHL class and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it at 3 yards, 7 yards, and 15 yards. The range qualification is really the easy part of the course. It's timed, but you get plenty time to aim and shoot.

On the other hand, a Glock 17 won't have as much felt recoil and would be easier for a beginner to shoot. Then later on if you needed to, you could trade it in or sell to get a smaller carry weapon.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

That's an excellent point and reminded me of something about purse carry. The other day my wife was in home depot and had our trouble maker beagle with her. She set her purse down on the counter at the checkout register, the dog jumped up and bumped the purse, and her gun came flying out of the purse in full view of the store clerk and anyone else around. Thankfully she had it in a tight fitting kydex holster, but with no real way to solidly secure it to the purse. Purse carry is never really consistent or robust in that regard, as it's very difficult to figure out a way to solidly secure a holster inside of one. Something to consider.

Top Bottom